Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Hand rolled buckskin fringe Hand rolled buckskin fringe

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2007, 03:03 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
grassdancesogood is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Hand rolled buckskin fringe

Can anyone instruct me on how to make hand rolled buckskin fringe? I just finished a loose fan and want to make my own fringe. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
grassdancesogood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
tx straight dancer

rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
rodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond reputerodond has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,469.70
cut your buckskin into about 1/8 fringe leaving about 1/2 inch at the top uncut wet the fringe roll it and clamp the end to hold it until it dryes
rodond is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-21-2007, 08:20 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

grassdancesogood is an unknown quantity at this point
hand rolled fringe

cut your buckskin into about 1/8 fringe leaving about 1/2 inch at the top uncut wet the fringe roll it and clamp the end to hold it until it dryes

thanks rodond I'm going to try it right away
grassdancesogood is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-22-2007, 01:55 AM   #4
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
I do mine in a similiar fashion, buttt, I also make sure my wet twisted fringe is laying on something like an old towel, so the moisture has somewhere to go when drying.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #5
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
double it

i did 2 strands rolled at once, and then roll the both of them together the opposite way. that was for comanche leggings.

better yet, i long piece, fold it in half, hold the fold and roll the 2 halfs seperate and than put them both together and roll the opposite. it will leave a neat loop on the end to add something to.

for lack of a better pic, here is an example of the loop, just imagine it in leather.

http://charmknits.com/fringe.jpg
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Mikjikjpipuqwes-skw is an unknown quantity at this point
Native American Indian Craft Supplies- Indian Craft Supply- Buckskinner Supply Kwe friend, you go on this site, page 6 and page 7 will teach you how to do them. In trade do you know some site or some one that has instructions how to make legal plumes, I tried here but instructions stinks.
See ya
Mikjikjpipuqwes-skw is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Ore2Roses is an unknown quantity at this point
hand roll buckskin fringe for fan

According to my elder / teacher, it can sometimes depend on how you are making the fan. One piece vs two piece. Some fan handles can be unscrewed from the rest of the fan.
If it is a two piece fan, as your cutting the length of leather to wrap the fan handle, you can cut the fringe parts, roll the fringes individuly on ones knee, then wrap the handle as normal...bead it.
If one does not want to deal with the moving fringes while beading, cut leather, wrap handle, bead to normal stopping point, then cut individule fringe, roll each carefully on knee.
The latter would be more difficult.
I'm sure there are others with different techiniques...as with most creations.