Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Hard sole mocs tutorial Hard sole mocs tutorial

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2003, 07:53 AM   #21
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally posted by powwowbum49
There are some other tools and things that one will need to have to put together this style of mocs.

An awl -- the awl will be used to prepunch the holes in the sole and will also be used to punch the holes for the laces. It is best to have an awl with a thin point. I say this because a fat pointed awl will have the tendency of ripping out the holes punched in the soles, especially in thinner material like the rawhide soles.

Imitation sinew -- used to sew the upper to the sole and tongue to the upper.

Glovers needles -- a medium size (4 or 6) is my preference.

Needle nose pliers -- for pulling the glovers needle through the sole leather when sewing the soles and upper together.

scissors -- you need these for the obvious reasons

A good pen or grease pencil will be needed for marking the leather and making the patterns for the upper and sole.

exacto or utility knife -- this is optional and is for the sole leather. It can be very difficult to cut this weight leather with scissors and often using a knife is a bit easier, but if you do use this method be careful and go slow so you do not cut into the canter of the sole itself or slip and cut into YOURSELF.

*** (Also if you are going to bead your mocs then you will need all those supplies)
Don't forget a good old, old fashioned sewing awl, the needle and thread are all one unit with a good solid grip pushing handle made to fit the palm of your hand!!

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #22
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Quote:

An awl -- the awl will be used to prepunch the holes in the sole and will also be used to punch the holes for the laces. It is best to have an awl with a thin point. I say this because a fat pointed awl will have the tendency of ripping out the holes punched in the soles, especially in thinner material like the rawhide soles.

Needle nose pliers -- for pulling the glovers needle through the sole leather when sewing the soles and upper together.

OMG, AWL and NEEDLE NOSE PLIERS!! Was I putting myself thru unneeded torture just using my buckskin needle and scrap of buckskin??!!??
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2003, 01:32 AM   #23
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
TK

That might work well to prepunch the wholes but I would not recommend using one to sew the upper and sole together. It is just a simple whip stitch that is used to sew a pair of these mocs up correctly. If you have used this tool before and can take pic of the mocs made with it please do (a close up of the stitching if you could) cause I can see no way that you could use that thing to sew up a pair of mocs!

Rose

Come on quit pullin our leg...LOL!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2003, 01:46 AM   #24
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
LOL Rose I did that till mom watched me struggle long enough then she showed me the art of the awl . But not till I was half way through the second moc....:D
WolfTears is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2003, 05:54 AM   #25
PowWows.com Addicts

Yelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond repute
This is really great. Now I can find out why my uppers never seem to fit the sole and I end up spending time to adjust everything especially when there is beading.

Those needle nose pliers really save on the use of ones teeth.
Yelloweyes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2003, 08:29 AM   #26
John&Pam

Hi All-in case anyone is interested we have various colors of deerskin for sale. It usually ranges from 3.00 to 4.00 sq. ft. We hand pick all the skins to find the thickest, heaviest and least scarred. We can also get a full saddle boar skin for about 40.00 each. The tannery we go to just started making a "realtree" type camo color boar skin. Anyway-the profits from the skins go to the Tennessee Native Veterans Society to help with some of our programs. http://home.earthlink.net/~yonausdi/index.html
John H

Men-nie you still have a little drool there...right at the corner
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2003, 05:34 PM   #27
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
LOL John I am trying to control that .. cant seem to get a handle on it .
Old 09-14-2003, 10:30 PM   #28
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally posted by Yelloweyes
This is really great. Now I can find out why my uppers never seem to fit the sole and I end up spending time to adjust everything especially when there is beading.

Those needle nose pliers really save on the use of ones teeth.
In the quilting supplies section of walmart, they sell these little yellow rubber circles... they are excellent grips for pulling the needle through your leather as well as pliers...and they don't hurt i fyou accidently drop them on your foot LOL...not to mention they cost less than 2 bucks
Old 09-16-2003, 12:53 PM   #29
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
TK

Rose

Come on quit pullin our leg...LOL!
Hey I kid you not! I only tried one rawhide soled mocs and that was over 10 years ago. I just used my buckskin needle and pushed it thru with a scrap of TOUGH buckskin and pulled it thru the other side with a scrap of GRIPPY buckskin. I still have the Tough piece and you can see the many, many holes punched in it.

I have an awl, but it must be a FAT awl. Until I find a skinnier one, or someone gives me one;) I'll have to stick to soft soles or latigo.

Anyway, what's the next step after getting all these specific supplies together? And do you make custom patterns or do you have tons of patterns labeled by size?:Chatter
Old 09-16-2003, 05:33 PM   #30
gawk where's the gun Gawk

MAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond repute
Wyo rose
don't worry your not alone I don't even use an awl , just glovers needles, and some scrap latigo leather. I don't use an awl for fear that i'll gouge my eye out:wounded1: it is a true art ( all in the fingers)watch out for me guys:karate: . I think I'll use an awl on this'n though

Rob

'i believe I can fly'
Rob Young
MAROONDANCER is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2003, 12:31 AM   #31
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Rose

I was never able to find one small enough do to what I wanted either so I have made some out of old ice pics and also ground down ones that were too fat until they were the size I wanted. It isn't hard to do at all if you have a dremel. you just put on the cutting wheel and use the side of it instead of the edge, then once you have it the shape you want take emory cloth in around 300 grit and 450 and smooth if back out real nice.

If there is a leather working shop around you (or if you want to order from Tandy online) there is an awl that they sell that kinda flat and shaped like this <>. It does a pretty good job too.

LMAO I do have a lot of patterns around here, but I usually make custom patterns. I have had a lot of folks come to me for mocs that have different sized feet. One fella had one foot that was a 12 1/2 and the other that was a 14. I will get the instruction up on how to make a pattern yourself in a the next few days. I has been pretty hectic around here lately.

Oh yeah I use what I call a 'pusher' for getting a needle through tuff hide. All it is a strip of medium weight rawhide about 5-6" long and about 1/2"-3/4" wide. I then attach a 12" long strip of 1/2" medical tape to it, wrap the taped rawhide around my finger snugly but not tight. Once I get to the end of the rawhide I just keep wrapping the tape around the thing until I use it all. This keeps it in the right shape and usually provides me 2 layers of rawhide between my finger and the butt end of the needle, and the medical tape keeps it from slipping. My favorite tape is the stuff the sell at Dollar General in those little plastic containers.

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
Old 09-17-2003, 10:59 AM   #32
StrongWillowsSister

off the subject line ... Black Bear I love your new Avatar I sat an watched it forever ...now thatssss sooooo cuteeeeeeeeee. AN I can tell which end is which ...lol
Old 09-17-2003, 05:50 PM   #33

MAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond reputeMAROONDANCER has a reputation beyond repute
MN
Red meat time!!!:devil lol

pwb49:
what's emory cloth . is it like sand paper?

'i believe I can fly'
Rob Young
Old 09-17-2003, 06:01 PM   #34
StrongWillowsSister

um yep Moon that it would be ...just make sure you get the grain PWB said . Ewwwwwwwww red meat not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2003, 09:44 PM   #35
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
that's all I use is glover needles and either a scrap of buckskin or those grippers I told you about. But i use size 3 or 5 glovers... (skin needles) . If the area is a bit tough, then I use that piece of scrap leather and a magazine, put the needle in as far as it will go and then push the needle against the magazine till it come out the other side..even just a little cause then I can push it the rest of the way through with the leather. Also if you tack your leather at the toe and on the sides and in the back , it makes sewing them up easier.
Old 09-22-2003, 03:51 AM   #36
PowWows.com Addicts

Yelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Blackbear

I'm off to walmart in search of grippers.

I like your avatar too it is cute reminds me of jellystone.
Yelloweyes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-14-2003, 08:09 PM   #37

I have a question would it be better to use simulated sinew or real sinew .. I just got ahold of some for free , just wondering

'i believe I can fly'
Rob Young
Old 10-15-2003, 12:56 AM   #38
Arena Director

Both work just fine but I find the fake stuff easier to work with.

Sorry all I haven't been able to really get rolling on this thread. I am finishing up a pair of fully beaded mocs (and have several roach orders that have to go out too) and was too far along on them to use them as an example for this thread. I deliver them this weekend and will be dive back into this thread late next week or early the week after.

Hang in there folks it is coming I promise!

Old 10-15-2003, 05:07 PM   #39

pwb49

take as long as you want . I understand that you are busy wth your buisness . do what you have to first then go to this stuff.
thanks for the suggestion I think I'll use simulated I have unough of it laying around .thanks

'i believe I can fly'
Rob Young
Old 10-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #40
Ready to dance

How thin would you splice your simulated sinew? I can't even imagine it going thru without being super thin. But then, I've never used an awl before either.

Would D nymo work just as well? Just a thought.;)
Sponsored Links