Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Introduction to Loom Work Introduction to Loom Work

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2006, 11:43 PM   #201
Beadworker

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Savings: 0.00
Bohunter,

I average about 10 square inches an hour regardless of width. But I am an exception to the norm and have done A LOT of loomwork. I find the most critical element of time usage is the complexity of the pattern. Some simple patterns I do in my head and they go quick. If I have to follow a drawn pattern, such as when doing letters or realistic shapes, you can increase the time by 1/3 to 1/2. Also depends greatly on the materials you use.

Also have to figure out how long it will take to set up the project and to finish it if mounting needs to be done.
BeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2006, 12:50 AM   #202

Hawk_FeatherJY is a glorious beacon of light
Credits: 0.00
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choctaw Keith
This is my first post to this forum. I have been beading for a couple of years. Attached is one of my original design splitloom necklaces. I do Native American themes using gem stone beads in the fringe. This piece uses moonstone beads and turquoise nuggets. I also do contemporary designs with glass bead fringe. I appreciate your comments on my work.

You have an excelent eye for your work! I really was impressed with the design, & I too find beading to be very relaxing. Keep Up the great work!
Hawk_FeatherJY is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #203
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
Beadman is like a machine when it comes to doing loomwork, so take his estimate and multiply that by 5!!! LOL
But he is right. a simple design can be done a lot faster than a complex one. The eagle belt I made took.....about 4 months and that was because Beadman continued to provide me with much needed.....kicking in the butt to finish.

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2007, 11:30 AM   #204
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
SpottedEagle--Why don't you try doing the "Last Supper" in beads....it's been a long time since I've had the chance to butt kick anyone!
Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 PM   #205

Smile

Wow that would take a really long time lol. I am currently working on a hat band for my dad. it's very time consuming. but pretty. I havent been on cause my comp died. bummer huh. this is a loner comp with windows98...yucky.
anyhow I hope every one has had a good holiday season. talk to you later.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:29 PM   #206
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Beadman glad to see you too!! LOL As far as my turtle speed approach to craftwork. Well, eventually I do finish a project or two. Even if it requires my friends kicking me in the butt all the time to stay motivated.
No way am I attempting the last supper!!! LOL Not even if I was given a lifetime supply of free beads and paid to do it.....how much are we talking about anyway???

Old 01-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #207

Unhappy

thats ok beadeagle i still havent got my dads hat band done but i have an excuse for it... My loom broke!
so now im fixing it. so sad. well ttyl
Old 01-21-2007, 07:40 AM   #208
FANMAKR

Hawk_FeatherJY From what I could tell from your picture, it looks like you used plywood to make your loom. If so, you might try using thicker wood in the future. I started making my looms out 2"x6" or wider pieces wood. The 2" wood keeps the loom from bowing, twisting, cracking, and breaking while you are in the middle of a piece of beadwork.
Keep your chin up though, I broke warp threads 3 times in after being over half way done with my belt. I was ready to cry!!! With a few tips and taking my time, I was able to replace the warp threads and continue on with my work.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #209

Talking

Thanks for your advice & encoragement I will definetley do that. It does suck though, cause I need to get the hat band finished so I can take pictures of it on my dads off white felt cowboy hat. I think it will look cool as the predominent color is Turquoise. mmm pretty. lol well good luck with your prettys too please post pictues I would love to see more work! . Thank you again!
Old 01-30-2007, 04:21 PM   #210
Eater of all frybread!!

Fat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,435.60
Beadman: You looking for someone to butt kick? Give me a call or email when you can since I need to get back in gear on the bottom strip for that vest I have been working on forever! Talk to you later!
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #211

Thumbs up

I would like to see what your working on oh eater of the frybread. I love to see the beautiful work people do. Check in with ya later.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:41 PM   #212
FANMAKR

Something like this for a start Plumes?

Last edited by spottedeagle; 01-06-2008 at 08:37 PM..
Old 01-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #213
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
ok im here, thank you looks good, I can work with that thank-you!
Eagle Plumes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2008, 01:07 PM   #214
FANMAKR

No problem EP. I sent you a pm too.

For all those who thought I was posting some new loom work pics, sorry to disappoint. LOL I was Hijacking my own thread to help EP out. And now we return to our original broadcast

So if anyone has some nice loomwork they are wanting to share....this thread has been kinda dead for a while.

Last edited by spottedeagle; 01-06-2008 at 08:37 PM..
Old 01-06-2008, 08:42 PM   #215
FANMAKR

I taught my son to do loomwork over the summer. Here is his first piece of loomwork. 1" wide, 9 1/2" long using size 11's. It's still on the loom because he hasn't decided what he wants to do with it yet.

Last edited by spottedeagle; 01-22-2014 at 09:26 AM..
Old 01-07-2008, 08:02 AM   #216
Junior Dancer

Mezzobean has a spectacular aura about
Very nice - how old is your son, Spotted Eagle?
Mezzobean is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #217
FANMAKR

He's 14

Old 01-08-2008, 02:16 PM   #218
Howling at the moon.

Wolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond reputeWolfsong has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 641.00
Loom Beading

Neebie here on posting,
I am trying to learn loom beading and plan on making a hat band for a hat I wear in summer. Great tuturiol, helps me a lot.

Have a few questions.

On patterns or if you make your own design (which I am not) at present cause just learning, but how do you know how wide your loom piece will be?

Do most put a backing on the beads when done, if so, what do you use?

For new loom beaders what size bead is best to use or does it matter?

Guess that's it for right now.
BTW so nice to have a place to learn things that when trying to learn on your own you can find help.
Wolfsong is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2008, 06:30 PM   #219
Eater of all frybread!!

Fat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond reputeFat Albert has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,435.60
Wolfsong: The best way to describe it is like this... you can decide how wide your band needs to be. Once you know that, you can in turn decide what size beads you need. In the end if you have a pattern alread made the size of the beads will determine how wide the strip ends up so the strip made in 13o is smaller than the same strip made with 11's. I would suggest for a first timer to use big beads like an 11o because you get a feel or the work faster and the project will go faster. After you are comfortable with the way to do it then you can start getting all small with your beads and elaborate with your designs. Just a thought. As far as backings go, I don't know... I don't do it. Really that would depend on the project I would guess.
Fat Albert is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 PM   #220
Beadworker

Spotty,
The kid's beadwork is a heck of a lot better than his dad's photography!

Wolfsong. Once you start to do beadwork you'll figure out quick how big to make things. and yes, size does matter (leave it up to Fat Albert to bring that one up). Backing is a good idea for a hatband, but remember that the backing will add just a little bit of length to the total beadwork.
Sponsored Links