Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Introduction to Loom Work Introduction to Loom Work

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2003, 12:04 PM   #21
FANMAKR

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Savings: 1.00
If anyone has any questions, needs better examples or a better explanation of anything.....Please post them here, PM me, e-mail me and I'll be more than happy to do my best to give you an answer or put you in touch with someone who can help you if I can't.

I've only been doing loom work for less than a year, but it's something I picked up really quickly. Not to mention it's something I really enjoy doing.

I have a couple pics in the gallery of the piece I'm working on right now.

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2003, 02:55 PM   #22
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
Savings: 0.00
thanks spottedeagle. gonna try something this weekend!
Old 04-03-2003, 04:30 PM   #23
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Hope this helps you out then. Let me know if you have any problems and I'll try to help you out as quick as possible

Old 04-05-2003, 07:04 AM   #24
FANMAKR

Don't forget to post some pictures!!!!!!! Either here or in the gallery and post a little something here for us to know it's there.

Old 04-06-2003, 02:17 AM   #25
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
I can't believe that people are actually talking about loom beadwork and I'm on vacacion! What are the chances of that?

SpottedEagle has done an outstanding job of explaining the technique. Hats off to you! Also included are some of his personal tricks. Everyone does things a little different, and it is very important for you to just jump right in and find what works best for you. I'm going to add my 2 cents now and offer it as a variation of SpottedEagle's individual technique just to show people that there are other ways, not right or wrong, just different.

DESIGNS: I hate using Bead Designer. (there I said it) if it works for you, God Bless You! I use a plain #2 lead pencil and some bead graph paper. I don't sketch in color, that all comes out of my head, and I usually draw out 1/4 of the whole design because it repeats up and down and left to right. SpottedEagle's "rose belt" wouldn't work for this. In a case Like that I will draw the whole design.

More to come.......

Last edited by BeadMan; 04-06-2003 at 02:37 AM..
BeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-06-2003, 02:23 AM   #26
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
THREAD: Believe it or not, I have made more than 90 straight dance belts and lots of other loomed items, all using nymo as a warp thread. Don't ask how I do it, I just do. Everyone that I teach beadwork to uses nymo for warp threads and their stuff comes out even, not bunched up and crooked. It all in how you string your loom. I also think that adjustable looms are the ONLY way to go, this helps get the tension just right. If you are starting out on your own, I have to go with the flow and suggest using a non-streatchy thread. But for the record, it can be done with nymo.

I use nymo for the weft also, but I never wax anything on a loom, warp or weft. I too use a lot of weft thread, about 8 yards at a time, and I almost never get any knots or freying. I have had people ask to watch me work to see how I do this, it is a wierd way of coiling the thread on the floor on the right side of my chair. Sounds complicated I know, but it happens in about 1 second after each row. Sometimes I even amaze myself.

BeadMan

Last edited by BeadMan; 04-06-2003 at 02:41 AM..
Old 04-06-2003, 02:28 AM   #27
Beadworker

KNOTS I don't put a knot anywhere in my loom work. Glue is also a four letter word around ANY of my beadwork. Just a personal thing. I'm a typical male, I'm afraid of long term commitments, and the permenance of glue ranks right up ther, don't ya think? Using a knot for your first row is alright. I hold the thread in my teeth for the first row and after about an inch I will thread that with a needle and go back through the beads like Spotted Eagle says to do when finishing a piece.

NEEDLES: I use the 3 inch long loom beading needs. I love them! and I highly recomend them for anything more than 2" wide. I found some 3 1/3 inch needls in Colo. Springs about 3 yr ago. They are large and only work with 10/o beads, but they are strong and they make your work go very very fast. Some people use the so called "big eye" needles. My advice is don't waste your time. That is the stupidest invension of all time. (my opinion only) If anyone uses them and likes them, power to ya.

Last edited by BeadMan; 04-06-2003 at 02:44 AM..
Old 04-06-2003, 02:35 AM   #28
Beadworker

Last thing I'll say is about finishing the work. I used to use cloth medical tape, but when I went to mount the piece and a needle passed through the tape it would get all sticky and wouldn't come off. I have since switched to Masking tape and I don't use more than one layer thickness. After I take the piece off the loom I press the tape with the blunt handle of my scissors to "seal" the tape (you will be able to see the threads through the tape like ribs on a starving horse) I also do not cut a piece from the loom. My loom is on dowel rods and one end slides up and down. I loosen the clamp and slide the moving part inward and lift the strip off the loom (I do have to cut the starting and ending threads that are tied to the anchor nails) I find that when you cut the piece off a loom the tape can shift and the tension gets all whacked out.

I think this has been a great thread. I hope to see some of the work that you fine craftspeople will do on your looms.

BeadMan

Last edited by BeadMan; 04-06-2003 at 02:47 AM..
Old 04-06-2003, 04:44 AM   #29
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Just so you know SpottedEagle... I have'nt been commenting cause I'm sitting back learning ok? Although I have done loomwork before.. does'nt mean I know enough about it... so keep up the good work here!!!
Old 04-06-2003, 09:21 AM   #30
FANMAKR

BEADMAN, I was wondering where you were!!!! Was kinda weird me being the only one posting on this whole thread. I'm very glad you put in your 2cents!!!! You have pointed out a few things I forgot, or didn't know.
But when I started this thread I did make sure to put a disclaimer. I'm no pro, Sheesh, I've only been doing loom work for a year. So I'm no where close!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Beadman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-06-2003, 12:14 PM   #31
Senior Dancer

webscouter has a reputation beyond repute
webscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I wanted to add my two cents in. I always leave the beads on the needle when I am putting them between the warp threads. After I have the beads between the warp threads I use the index finger on the other hand to hold them up and then pull the weft thread through the beads. I find that this works faster for me.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:05 AM   #32
FANMAKR

I'm just wondering if those who asked for a loom introduction have tried doing any loom work yet.
If so, how are things going?? DOn't forget to post some pics when you are done!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2003, 06:51 PM   #33
Riverwoman

I am trying a beaded headband for the first time. Got a very long adjustable loom on Ebay, from a great lady in WA state. I sure have to tell you, getting that first line of beads up was a *****! But after that, they all seemed to fall into place. Just a note, make sure that you "push up" those beads with your finger, and then put the needle thru. It somehow "looks" better, and I have not seen any "lines or threads" when I do that. Know what I mean right? :Chatter

For making matching hairties, would I just double the size of the pattern? I mean the headband is only 7 beads wide, and for hairties I would like something a bit bigger. Not sure how to get there yet, but if anyone can help me, please let me know:)
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-13-2003, 06:37 PM   #34
Teen Dancer

Jammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 220.00
I did a little playing around with a loom last year. Was farely easy to catch on to after messing with it for about an hour or so. The only problems that I ran into after a quater of the way done was that in some parts I pulling the string to tight which was creating a curve. I messed around with a few different colors and patterns off the top of my head I'll either take a pic of it or just scan it to show ya.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:06 PM   #35
FANMAKR

Tahemet, you are correct. You have to push the beads up with you fingers. This really helps to ensure as you pass the needle back through the beads that the needle stays above the warp threads. I thought I mentioned that in the intro, but if I didn't I'm very sorry.

I personally agree with you and Jammer. Loom work is not extremely difficult. But depending on your design it can be very time consuming and I think as with all beading requires some patience.

Jammer, what you noticed the "curves" is caused by a couple things that I have noticed. One is how tight you pull the weft thread, but I think the bigger impact is the slight difference in the size of beads. I see this in my work and I have seen it in other loom work. I'm not sure if you can really do too much about it. But when you sew it down to your outfit or whatever it doesn't seem to be very noticible from a foot or two away.

Beadman may be able to answer how to solve the problem if you can. He is more experienced than I am at loom work.

Hope this helps answer your questions!!!

Old 04-14-2003, 12:47 AM   #36
Beadworker

Well, I guess I have to reply now, don't I :Chatter

Pushing the beads up is VERY important. It just takes some experience to see the needle on top of the warp threads when it passes back through. Sometimes you might miss several threads and not notice it until a couple rows down. You can thread a needle and go back through the beads on top of the warps to fix the problem. Make sense?

The uneven ends could be caused by bead size but it is most likely pulling the weft too tight after completing a row, or by loose warp threads (believe it or not) Your warps should be pretty tight. When I have a loom strung up I have even put small books on top of a piece for a moment while moving things around on my desk. I will also mention that I occasionaly mix bead sizes on a loomed piece and still have very straight edges (that's why I don't think the uneveness is caused by the bead size)

Here is what I do: After passing the needle back through the row of beads (on the top side of the warps) I pull the thread through until about 5-6 inches of "loop" are still left on the starting side of the piece. I gently tug the lower thread in the loop to make sure the thread is taught NOT TIGHT!!!! Then pull the rest of the thread through but not tight, just until it barely touches the outermost warp thread. Even leaving a hair line between is better than pulling it too tight.

I will also add that when I push the beads up between the warp threads I make sure the beads on the thread are loose and not tight (make sense???) another reason why I pull the thread taught after going back through the beads.

If you are doing a piece that is too wide for your needle to make one pass, do not pull all the thread through in the middle of a row, wait until all the beads have been passed through until you pull the thread taught. Hope this helps. If it's too confusing let me know and I'll elaborate.
Old 04-14-2003, 06:54 AM   #37
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 45,747.34
There are a couple of tricks/cautions I learned while studying European weaving traditions, which may help:

If you have a single loose warp, you can slide a small stick under the thread in question, give it a twist to snug it up, then tape the stick down to hold the tension. For a small group of loose warp you can wedge a fold of heavy paper under, against the beam and that will tighten the threads right up.

When I was starting, I was constantly warned by my weaving teacher "not to break the backs of my slevedges (outermost threads)." If it bent it was too tight. (Most novice weavers have their first piece come out hourglass shaped or trapziodal, from pulling the edges too tight.) Sounds like that applies here too.

I tried loomwork once, as a kid, at church camp (big mistake to try to learn this from a gum-cracking teenager from Detroit). We had been given Nymo for the warp, was like warping the loom with different sized rubber bands. Even done right this seems a -- uh, for lack of a better word -- fussy technique. I will say you guys that do this have way more patience than I do. My hat's off to you.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-16-2003, 01:45 PM   #38
FANMAKR

Quote:
Originally posted by OLChemist
I tried loomwork once, as a kid, at church camp (big mistake to try to learn this from a gum-cracking teenager from Detroit). We had been given Nymo for the warp, was like warping the loom with different sized rubber bands. Even done right this seems a -- uh, for lack of a better word -- fussy technique.

Old 04-23-2003, 01:12 AM   #39
Teen Dancer

Jammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 220.00
Well I figured i would post a piece I scanned. It was my first time tryin it out and did a few designs to see what it would look like beaded. Remember its my first time doing it so its not going to look all that great.
Attached Thumbnails
playinwloom.jpg  
Old 04-23-2003, 08:49 PM   #40
FANMAKR

Looks good Jammer!! Have you tried making anything else????

Sponsored Links