Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials One Way of Backing a barrette One Way of Backing a barrette

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-27-2003, 03:33 AM   #1
Honey Connoissuer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
One Way of Backing a barrette

Ok I say this is one way because of the different types of barrettes there are and many different people have some different ways of doing this. Since I was making a barrette and had come to the construction part anyhow, I thought I would just go ahead and snap pics and show how I did it.

1) after the piece is beaded, (I used baby pad and one of my old birthday cards for stiffness) trim closely paying good attention not to cut the threads ( like I did cause I was too lazy to turn on the lamp and had to go back and rebead that part.)

2) Using 527 Bond glue, I glue my barrette to the back of the beadwork
Attached Thumbnails
backing1.jpg  
Old 05-27-2003, 03:35 AM   #2
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
carefully measure and cut two holes in your leather that will fit over the barrette with just the ends sticking out.. start with the end where the barrette bends first and then cut where it connects.. glue this piece of leather entirely over the back of the barrette.
Attached Thumbnails
backing-3.jpg  
Old 05-27-2003, 03:38 AM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

trim the leather along the edges of the barrette and edge bead... VIOLA!!!
Attached Thumbnails
backing4.jpg  
Old 05-27-2003, 03:40 AM   #4
Honey Connoissuer

The finished product:

size 13 cut beads with size 11 surrounding the centerpiece. The centerpiece is a polished free form mother of pearl piece with a light pink and seafoam cast to it naturally. There are two sizes of fresh water pearl on either side, with the smaller two surrounded by antique elephant ivory beads. I'm thinking of submitting this one to State Fair this year.
Attached Thumbnails
mopbar2.jpg  
Old 05-27-2003, 08:00 AM   #5
FANMAKR

spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
spottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond reputespottedeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 819.61
Thank-you Blackbear. That is beautiful!!!!!!! 1st place or I'm coming to Wasilla to kick some butt!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/SpottedeagleFans
spottedeagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2003, 11:52 AM   #6
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
Savings: 0.00
Hey Blackbear,
Thats a really nice barrette and illustrations!!!
Thanks for sharing your backing tips.
I use plastic butter lids cut to shape instead of the card for the inner part is the only thing I do differently, if you don't mind me adding that in.
Where do you find your large metal barrettes at? I can only find the small ones and I really like to use that type.
Thanks again for the demo!!!!
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-27-2003, 03:23 PM   #7
Honey Connoissuer

Thanks !! I get the barrettes at walmart. I've tried finding a bulk source for those types of barrettes but to no avail... so I just buy the three pack of them at walmart for I think 1.67 and ... well it's kinda cheaper than buying the barrette blanks that you have to take apart... you know the "other" kind of barrette? But with those kind you can get them as small as one inch.. good for kids. I usually add a layer of plastic and cut the holes in the plastic for the barrette to go through, but this was already pretty thick..and I just can't hack beading through the plastic itself!!! OUCH on my fingers. Glad if this helps anyone out though..
Old 05-27-2003, 06:22 PM   #8
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
Yeah, the plastic is kind of hard to sew through....but I've found out that Pringles Chips lids are kind of a thinner plastic and a lot easier to sew through....that or I cut the plastic a little smaller than the barrette. Anyway.....it's just what I use and thought I'd pass it on.
Thanks for letting me know about the barrette's.....I've been using those spring-kind of barrette's, and they come apart or the parts come off and get lost....so I really like those 1 peice barrettes.
Anyway....as always, I enjoy reading the demo's you do.
Keep it up!!!!
Elizabeth Costales likes this.
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2003, 09:10 AM   #9
I'M NASSSTTTYYYYYY!!!!!!

MissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Once again, thanks for the advice Blackbear! The barrette is beautiful!!

OK, can I go home now so I can continue on my beading projects. I don't want to be at work today. :Cry Then again, I'm not really working since I'm on pws.com. :Chatter

"I can't sleep, the clowns will eat me."

"Things are more like today than they ever have been."
MissGolightly is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-30-2003, 11:48 AM   #10
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Crack baby? :Chatter :Chatter :Chatter LOLOLOL
Old 07-23-2003, 10:24 AM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

whozyadaddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by MissGolightly
Once again, thanks for the advice Blackbear! The barrette is beautiful!!

OK, can I go home now so I can continue on my beading projects. I don't want to be at work today. :Cry Then again, I'm not really working since I'm on pws.com. :Chatter

I'm there with ya Miss Go!! I don't want to be at work either.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:08 PM   #12
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
Never Sleep again

Thanks Black Bear that is beautiful when ya gonna do a tute on how to do the cabachon ... I tried from a book an well I got a one eyed purple ppl non eating barrett bad bad bad .. But I have made progress in appliq thanks for all your threads .. I will never sleep now , skeered I miss a good idea ...:D
WolfTears is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2003, 07:51 PM   #13
Honey Connoissuer

I use 527 Bond to glue down my cabachon...that's all. Goop works pretty good, but is maybe a bit too flexible depending on how heavy the cabachon is and is hard to get a needle through if it goops up around the edges. But the 527 is medium thick, dries quicker, is a bit flexible and dries clear.
Old 07-24-2003, 10:36 PM   #14
StrongWillowsSister

WolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond reputeWolfTears has a reputation beyond repute
Welllll

I was talking about how u get those beads to look so purdy..;) , I tried it an I got a hump back wannabee something or other no matter what I did those little beads would not lay down so now its a science project waiting for mom to visit an take the beads off an put in her stash box to take home.
Your work is so beautiful , Makes ya gooooo :o :D
Old 07-24-2003, 11:50 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

eveningz_rain is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 304.00
Cool thanks

thanks there girl iz always wondering how to do that thanks alot :) :clap:
Old 07-26-2003, 02:48 AM   #16
PowWows.com Addicts

Yelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond reputeYelloweyes has a reputation beyond repute
Great barrett!!! Where do you get the 527 Bond glue???
Yelloweyes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-26-2003, 03:20 AM   #17
Honey Connoissuer

Normally I get it from the bead store I worked at, but both Walmart and Joanne's fabrics carry it. And thank you!
Old 07-26-2003, 03:24 AM   #18
Honey Connoissuer

Re: Welllll

Quote:
Originally posted by MenNie Turtles
I was talking about how u get those beads to look so purdy..;) , I tried it an I got a hump back wannabee something or other no matter what I did those little beads would not lay down so now its a science project waiting for mom to visit an take the beads off an put in her stash box to take home.
Your work is so beautiful , Makes ya gooooo :o :D
Menie...go to the craft archives and check out my applique tutorial... you would do the same around a cabachon.. Key things to remember though, don't crowd your beads... after you put them on the needle , bring them down to the end of your thread and place them where they need to be, then put your needle through whatever you are beading on, right in front of the hole on the last bead, not next to the cabachon or row of beads before and then bring back up behind the last two beads in the center where the holes are...in other words, not next to what you are beading but keep in a straight line so to speak. Also don't put on more than four beads at a time.
Old 07-27-2003, 12:37 AM   #19
StrongWillowsSister

Thank You

I have wore the appliq, page out you did . I was never brave enough to try it till I read that page. You are a treasure for sure. I am working on my very first appliq in bead not real fancy but cant wait till its done I am proud of it just because I took the plunge. Thanks for all the hints an tips .. Just love this place .. Oh yeah love what ya all did with the walls nice look ....(LOL) see ya real soon .
Old 08-04-2003, 03:52 PM   #20
LumbeeTurtle

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackbear
Thanks !! I get the barrettes at walmart. I've tried finding a bulk source for those types of barrettes but to no avail... so I just buy the three pack of them at walmart for I think 1.67 and ...
thats where i got mine from, but i made it completely diff well i used diff materials. first i beaded on a table cloth like material, then cut out the foam stuff you can get in the craft section, its sticky on one side, so i stuck those two together then using the table cloth stuff again i backed much like you did. and sewed around the edges. it doesnt look as good as yours of course, ive only been beading a year, but it's waterproof, flexible and durable, so if you dont have the materials she has you might could use these

by the wasy did i mention how great that looks and how helpful that info is? thanx blackbear!!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links