Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials One Way of Backing a barrette One Way of Backing a barrette

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2005, 08:22 AM   #61
Soar like an Eagle

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Whispering Eagle has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Beading on leather for a Barrette?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
no I don't bead directly on leather at all.. I use mostly ez felt (stiff felt) or baby lap pad depending on the size. the leather is backing only and I glue it to the barrette and trim around the barrette instead of trying to cut out a piece of leather that matches the shape of what I'm beading.
Thank you ...you know I had purchaed a beautiful barrette from the Res in Montana when I was there last summer, but it is beaded DIRECTLY on leather, and I thought that is what you were supposed to do. This seems so much easier. Wow! Sorry to keep asking you so many questions, but where do I get this ez felt (stiff felt) from Michaels, or Jo Anns?

One more question...what kind of glue will hold these metal barrettes? Gosh, Blackbear, thank you so much for all your help. I am getting tired of wearing just one barrette!

Whispering Eagle
Whispering Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #62
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
LOL yes michaels. It's back with the felt and the foamie sheets, but it's a big stiff peice of felt called ezfelt for about 99cents a sheet.

I used 527 bond I think on this tutorial to hold the barrette, but it's only a precautionary... if you put the barrette behind the leather so that only the mechanics are on the outside, the leather should hold the barrette in place, but better yet, sandwich the barrette between the back of the beadwork, a piece of thin plastic or card (you'll have to cut the holes through these so the ends of your barrettes stick through) and then the leather, you won't even need glue.
Old 04-15-2005, 01:45 PM   #63
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
LOL you know.. I had an idea.. if people learn to do this easier by hands on.. I'll make you a finishing kit for the price of a barrette and you'll get one of my barrettes in the process... I'll send you the finished beaded front, the pre-cut layers and the barrette and edge beads and let YOU put it together with written instructions LOL!!
newtootole likes this.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:32 PM   #64
Soar like an Eagle

Barrette

Quote:
LOL you know.. I had an idea.. if people learn to do this easier by hands on.. I'll make you a finishing kit for the price of a barrette and you'll get one of my barrettes in the process... I'll send you the finished beaded front, the pre-cut layers and the barrette and edge beads and let YOU put it together with written instructions LOL!!

No Way!You'd do that! Awesome! Yes I am so right-brained it is pitiful.....

You might as well be telling me instructions on how to fly the space shuttle! LOL! he he he... Would you send me a private message as to the cost? Thanks soooooooo much!

Whispering Eagle
Old 05-11-2005, 09:49 PM   #65
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 105.03
Lightbulb

Quote:
Thanks !! I get the barrettes at walmart. I've tried finding a bulk source for those types of barrettes but to no avail... so I just buy the three pack of them at walmart for I think 1.67 and ... well it's kinda cheaper than buying the barrette blanks that you have to take apart... you know the "other" kind of barrette? But with those kind you can get them as small as one inch.. good for kids. I usually add a layer of plastic and cut the holes in the plastic for the barrette to go through, but this was already pretty thick..and I just can't hack beading through the plastic itself!!! OUCH on my fingers. Glad if this helps anyone out though..
When I'm out traveling I hit every craft store I can find - there used to be a really good craft warehouse in Portland, OR that carried packages of 20 or so barrettes for a great price. I haven't been there in years, but I stocked up when I was there the last time!

"We could learn a lot from a box of crayons:
some sharp, some pretty, some dull,
some have weird names, & all different colors,
but they have to learn to live in the same box." ~ Anon
SingingDeer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #66
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
SingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond reputeSingingDeer has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by whozyadaddy
I'm there with ya Miss Go!! I don't want to be at work either.
You girls! I need a job to go to! I'd be more than happy to have a regular job again so I can get back to my beading!!! I'm so busy looking for work that I have little time to do anything else.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #67
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

Question Cherokees in Washington!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingrose
Thank you so much for the advice! I have never beaded anything, except for one pair of looped earings that I never finished or even remember how to complete. You made it so much less complicated. Thank you. Also, do you have any techniques or advice you can share with me, a beginning beader? I am Cherokee and would like to start out beading in a traditional Cherokee way, but I don't know any natives here in Washington who will teach me to bead, much less in a Cherokee traditional way. Any help is appreciated. Thank you
I'm assuming you mean Washington State - I am part Cherokee and a beader, and I know several folks my my area who are also Cherokee and do beadwork. I do a variety of different beading styles so you really can't call what I do "traditional" but I'm sure there are some around here who do the traditional stuff.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #68
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potawatomi_Azhe'ni
Hey one problem I have when putting the leather on the back is that my pellon I sew it on sticks out and you can see white in some places. I can't cut to close to the edge cua it will snip the threads. So what do anyone suggests to use instead of pellon? I like using canvas but it does the same thing. What is this crib liner everyone keeps talking bout?
I use a piece that is the same color as the main or background color in my barette. If that color is white, I choose something else that coordinates nicely with the whole.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:20 PM   #69
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

Thumbs up

Quote:
no I don't bead directly on leather at all.. I use mostly ez felt (stiff felt) or baby lap pad depending on the size. the leather is backing only and I glue it to the barrette and trim around the barrette instead of trying to cut out a piece of leather that matches the shape of what I'm beading.
here - here....
that's the way I recommend, and the felt comes in many colors.

Old 05-12-2005, 09:48 AM   #70
Soar like an Eagle

IT"S SO THICK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingDeer
here - here....
that's the way I recommend, and the felt comes in many colors.
Singing Deer...I bought tons of it a few weeks ago, in all different colors, before I went out of town, but it is so darn thick that what do you do when you finish beading it, to squeeze the edges together and make them look nice?(When adding the back on and beading the edging finishing it off?).

Thank you for any help you can give me...I am still learning and you guys are sweet to answer my questions....

Whispering Eagle
Old 05-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #71
Honey Connoissuer

Whisp... the edge beading is what makes it look nice, until it's done it won't look like much, but the stitch itself and the beads finish it off and give it that nice, neat appearance. Also if you really want me to send you a finishing barrette kit, it'll just cost you depending on the size of the barrette. Small 20 bucks, med 30, and lrg. 45, but that will include your postage and handling.

Singing, another way is to color in the design with marker before beading it.
newtootole likes this.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #72
~~~ Jedi Color Guard ~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whispering Eagle
Singing Deer...I bought tons of it a few weeks ago, in all different colors, before I went out of town, but it is so darn thick that what do you do when you finish beading it, to squeeze the edges together and make them look nice?(When adding the back on and beading the edging finishing it off?).

Thank you for any help you can give me...I am still learning and you guys are sweet to answer my questions....

Whispering Eagle
Check the type of felt before you buy it - EZ Felt or Fun Felt is thin and stiff. It is so much easier to sew through and doesn't add bulk to your project. You can get plain felt thin enough but you have to look for it. Also watch the prices - some craft suppliers charge more for felt squares. If you're on a budget you may want to check around before buying.

Old 05-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #73
Soar like an Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingingDeer
Check the type of felt before you buy it - EZ Felt or Fun Felt is thin and stiff. It is so much easier to sew through and doesn't add bulk to your project. You can get plain felt thin enough but you have to look for it. Also watch the prices - some craft suppliers charge more for felt squares. If you're on a budget you may want to check around before buying.

Felt?? I guess everyone has their own different thing to use. Somone else mentioned to me to buy "foamies" at Michaels....so I did....goodness it is soooooooo thick that I was wondering how in the world you are going to finish off the edges. Felt to me makes more sense.

Thanks for this idea...I think I like it better...when I get back in town, I will take the foam stuff back and get the felt squares....I appreciate your suggestion!

Whispering Eagle
Old 09-14-2005, 07:50 AM   #74
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,821.96
Hello, this is my first post and im not really sure how old the question is but what I do is put plastic canvas in the middle to stiffin it a bit it has just enough bend to form to the shape of the barrette and it is easy to cut to whatever shape you ae going for I even do a coouple of stitches to the barrette threw the canvas so the metal part of the barrette does not slip and slide which makes it nice and you dont see any of it cause it is behind the leathr.
Eagle Plumes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2005, 08:45 PM   #75
Honey Connoissuer

You can buy a fabric stiffener at walmart by pellon now that is almost exactly like ezfelt or timetex for about 4.99 a yard (probably less in the lower fourty-eight).
Old 09-15-2005, 09:26 AM   #76
Pow Wow Committee

Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
to Black bear

Hello I have read so many of your posts it feals like I know you! and people seem to really respond to you and your tips.So maybe we can share more as the time go's by and more people can learn im so bad about thinking everybody knows what i know and not openly shareing for fear people will take it the wrong way until a new friend of mine and i were shareing tips and she politly told me alot of what I shared with her in about 15 min of talking she had no clue of how to do some of those things so it made me think share without being showy is that a word? oh well i bet you get what I mean. But I bead mostly on pelon and felt I draw it on the pelon staple it to the felt then bead away then i cut a piece of white buckskin to whatever the shape of my piece is then sew the two together.Is that the way you do it? and the only problem with knowing how to do all of this is im always wanting new beadwork! and I cant just make a barrette I think I have to make matching everything I think I really have a problem! But on the other hand I have been known to give some of my sets away if i feal the need or my family needs something for a giveaway or one of my cuzins is needin to impress a snag!!! and for whever else mite be reading this do not ever be shy about asking questions k cause that is how we all learn and as Indian people we should pull together and help all we can!!! thanks Eagle Plumes
Old 09-15-2005, 01:48 PM   #77
Soar like an Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Plumes
Hello I have read so many of your posts it feals like I know you! and people seem to really respond to you and your tips.So maybe we can share more as the time go's by and more people can learn im so bad about thinking everybody knows what i know and not openly shareing for fear people will take it the wrong way until a new friend of mine and i were shareing tips and she politly told me alot of what I shared with her in about 15 min of talking she had no clue of how to do some of those things so it made me think share without being showy is that a word? oh well i bet you get what I mean. But I bead mostly on pelon and felt I draw it on the pelon staple it to the felt then bead away then i cut a piece of white buckskin to whatever the shape of my piece is then sew the two together.Is that the way you do it? and the only problem with knowing how to do all of this is im always wanting new beadwork! and I cant just make a barrette I think I have to make matching everything I think I really have a problem! But on the other hand I have been known to give some of my sets away if i feal the need or my family needs something for a giveaway or one of my cuzins is needin to impress a snag!!! and for whever else mite be reading this do not ever be shy about asking questions k cause that is how we all learn and as Indian people we should pull together and help all we can!!! thanks Eagle Plumes
<B> Thank you Eagle Plumes.....yes, I am afraid to ask questions sometimes as it seems that so many people know sooooo much more than I do, and I feel stupid. I like your idea of the Pelon. I have not tried that yet. I still have not found what works for me. I too, have given everything that I have made away with the exception of two Lakota chokers that I am going to hang onto them for dear life! LOL! I totally agree....we NEED to pull together as Native Americans and help each other...not all of us had Grandmothers, or even Mothers, or Aunties to teach us ANYTHING!

Thank you again for this post, Eagle Plumes!

Whispering Eagle
Old 09-15-2005, 04:43 PM   #78
Pow Wow Committee

to Whispering Eagle

thanks for your reply if you ever have questions please ask and for sure try the felt it does not cost much I buy it off the bolt Idraw my design on pelon staple to felt and bead away thats all i bead on for bead sets now beaded vest i hear are beaded on canvas i have yet to do one of those. but haveing two of my brothers mens tradish and two of my sons im sure its in my near future and i would also like to make a crown someday rite now im doing a bead set for a very good friend of mine in the fire colors and next we will be cutting out her buckskin and she wants me to do the beaded strips on her arms and her beaded drop I said id help her as long as she dosent look better than me AAAAAA lol.just kiddin. thanks Whispering Eagle and hope to hear from you soon Eagle Plumes
Old 09-15-2005, 06:14 PM   #79
Soar like an Eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Plumes
thanks for your reply if you ever have questions please ask and for sure try the felt it does not cost much I buy it off the bolt Idraw my design on pelon staple to felt and bead away thats all i bead on for bead sets now beaded vest i hear are beaded on canvas i have yet to do one of those. but haveing two of my brothers mens tradish and two of my sons im sure its in my near future and i would also like to make a crown someday rite now im doing a bead set for a very good friend of mine in the fire colors and next we will be cutting out her buckskin and she wants me to do the beaded strips on her arms and her beaded drop I said id help her as long as she dosent look better than me AAAAAA lol.just kiddin. thanks Whispering Eagle and hope to hear from you soon Eagle Plumes
<b> You "Staple" the pelon to the felt before beading?? They don't get in the way? Wow, I sure want to do a crown, too. Do you think one could be done in with the pelon/felt manner, is would it be stiff enough to stand up properly? Also, Eagle Plumes....how do you fasten a crown in the back? I have never asked to examine someone's, as to not offend them...so don't know how it is done.... :o)

Whispering Eagle
Old 09-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #80
Pow Wow Committee

to whispering Eagle

Hi yes I bead directly to the pelon/ felt and no the staples dont get in the way if they stick me i just mash them down a bit so not to run my fingers over them. and when you trim off the outer part of your piece the the staples then are trimed off in the process and this process works for all size projects, as far as being stiff enough I put plastic canvas in the middle of the piece to give it just enough stiffness without being rock hard works really well in barrettes to conform to nateral shape of your head. and you can find it in the craft section of most wal-mart stores and is inexpencive.And yes it would work well in a crown the plastic canvas comes in different size sheets and colors but the color would not matter cause its inside the beadwork now i make my plastic a little smaller that the piece im working on so not to hit the canvas when im sewing on the leather backing on whatever it is im makeing.Im about to finnish a barrette as soon as I can get to Joannes and buy my rinestones to put on the out part of the piece and ill be useing plastic canvas for that as well i use it in everthing rosettes earings bracelts rosettets for drop feathrs i could go on and on! but if you start a crown take it slow dont be afraid to rip out if you have to and have fun! you can do lazy stich or applique as you can see i cant spell my bad! if you can take apic of your bling and let me see it talk to you later Eagle Plumes.
Sponsored Links