Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree3Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials One Way of Backing a barrette One Way of Backing a barrette

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2005, 06:09 PM   #101
powwows.com addict

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
nativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond reputenativechiqui has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
awww. thats so sweet. Thank for the encouragment. Thats why i love this site so much. Its just full of really great people like you. Ty.And I will post pics soon as I learn how. Tried yesturday but didnt go through. I'll keep trying though.byes.
nativechiqui is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2005, 04:23 AM   #102
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
you need help just let me know.. I can get a picture ready for you to post.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:10 AM   #103
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,159.15
Keep Bead'n

Just keep up the good work ,before you know it you will be bead'n all the time finnish one project and it's off to another one! Moc's are a big project! so be very proud and to me it's one of the bigger projects Im southern cloth so mine are not fully beaded ,but Im wanting to try jingle and Im going to make fully beaded moc's and leggin's. But like I said keep bead'n and as you go along you will notice differences here and there I recently sat down with a friend of mine and she laid out her bead work and we looked at her first medallion then we looked at one of her last ones ther are 12 in all she could not believe the difference! she seemed happy to see how much she was comming along in her work.
Eagle Plumes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 05:43 PM   #104
shoshone

Angie McGarva is an unknown quantity at this point
Backing

I have made several pieces of beadwork always using cut beads. First the piece itself should be beaded on a steady backing. I have developed my own. Not using plastic. I then use Elmers glue to dab the sides after cutting the excess. (This makes sure it doesn't unravel). Let it dry the don't waste no leather, buckskin, by placing the barrette on top of the buckskin. Never draw on the side your showing. I then place the clip centered and exactly like you did center it. Then, the backing of the barrette and the buckskin I put Elmers Glue on making sure not to get to close to the border in which I will bead. Let dry the tack four sides for making even. Then I really start anywhere to start edges..... Hope this helps...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #105
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
YOu don't have to be careful not to get glue on the border you are beading because elmers and tacky both are easy to put a needle through. It's goop and e=6000 that are hard to get a needle through to darn near impossible.
Old 04-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #106
Honey Connoissuer

I just wanted to recommend a book as well if I had'nt mentioned it earlier in this thread. It's on the pricey side of around 30 bucks, but it's the first beading book done by Sadie Starr about beading with cabachones and gems and stones, and it so rocks. There are numerous step by step photos and recommendations... how to put the necklaces together with beaded items and using beading wire... this book is a real help.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:46 PM   #107
Blackfeet Montana Lady

eagle wings is a jewel in the rough
I'm lost - I guess I don't understand why you are putting plastic in your barretts - I was taught to just put your beadwork on leather and put the barrett in the middle - edge bead to keep the 2 pieces together - so tell me again please....
eagle wings is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #108
Student, always learning

whitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
The finished product:

size 13 cut beads with size 11 surrounding the centerpiece. The centerpiece is a polished free form mother of pearl piece with a light pink and seafoam cast to it naturally. There are two sizes of fresh water pearl on either side, with the smaller two surrounded by antique elephant ivory beads. I'm thinking of submitting this one to State Fair this year.
Beautiful barrett! How do you get the big stones to stay? Are they glued or do they have holes to sew them on 2?
whitewave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #109
Honey Connoissuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle wings View Post
I'm lost - I guess I don't understand why you are putting plastic in your barretts - I was taught to just put your beadwork on leather and put the barrett in the middle - edge bead to keep the 2 pieces together - so tell me again please....

because as some of us have found out, the plastic adds stiffness and a layer of protection against sweat and moisture. It helps support the beadwork better also as you clip and unclip the barrette.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #110
Honey Connoissuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewave View Post
Beautiful barrett! How do you get the big stones to stay? Are they glued or do they have holes to sew them on 2?
Some are glued unless they are drilled, then I do both glue and tie down. I use the 527 bond for the stones, but sometimes it does'nt hold it down well enough and pops out after the entire thing is done. If that happens I then fill the spot with more 527 bond or goop glue and then press the cabachon back in (most of the time when that happens it's a polished stone cabachon but what I used here was mother of pearl free form that was polished only on the showing side). But when working with the cabs that are fully polished, it's better to not just glue it in to hold it, but then build up a peyote bevel on it's sides to hold it in. And that takes a little more explaination if you don't know what I'm talking about already. But here's a page that has some so you can see waht I'm talking about.
http://www.mbjewelryandbeads.com/page9.html
Old 05-03-2007, 03:22 PM   #111
Student, always learning

whitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond repute
Edging

Thanks so much for the help! I'm having trouble understanding the edging part of this. How do I go about doing the edges of my barette at the end?

Peace, Love, and many blessings,
White Wave
whitewave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2007, 04:34 PM   #112
Honey Connoissuer

http://beadwork.about.com/library/weekly/blpicot.htm
Old 05-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #113
Honey Connoissuer

One more thing... if you do have to bead through the plastic, use the short needles or "sharps" as they are called. They go through easier because of the more concentrated force used on the end of the needle instead of it having to travel down the length of a long needle. You won't bend your needle so much and it won't break as easily.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:21 AM   #114
Sponge, Soaking Knowledge

juniperraccoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Step by Step Instructions??

Hi everyone,

I am new here... Read the past thread, but I'm kind of confused so I was wondering if anybody could give me step-by-step instructions for backing a barrette? I'm new at beading, really want to learn how to get beads onto barrettes, moccasins, shirts, etc... I've figured out how the loom works & to finish pieces... But have yet to back them onto something! Also, what leather do you use to back the barrettes?

Thanks!
~JuniperRaccoon
juniperraccoon is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 AM   #115
pow wow mom

shadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 738.95
thank you your work is very beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!! your advice is so helpful for abeginner like me p.s I'm adidcted to beading now thanks for all the help you rock!!!!!!!!

Last edited by shadowoman; 03-18-2009 at 09:35 AM..
shadowoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #116
pow wow mom

shadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond reputeshadowoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 738.95
thank you for the comment "no laughing" I was so worried when I did my daughter's first peices --a nice senior dancer told me they where nice and gave me so great hinds too she was so sweet ---told me everybody starts somewhere --glad I'm not the only one insecure thank you so much
shadowoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 AM   #117
Pow Wow Visitor

jmariesoto is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
trim the leather along the edges of the barrette and edge bead... VIOLA!!!
I know this is old but how exactly do you edge bead? I am so lost on that part
jmariesoto is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-08-2010, 03:49 AM   #118
Honey Connoissuer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmariesoto View Post
I know this is old but how exactly do you edge bead? I am so lost on that part
Picot Beaded Edging
Old 01-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #119
Pow Wow Visitor

jmariesoto is an unknown quantity at this point