Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yaahl

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials pipe stone how to pipe stone how to

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
mcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 356.71
Savings: 0.00
Talking pipe stone how to

Best way to carve, Finish, and best wood for stem...anyone? Ready go!!
mcalkins4052 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Zintkala Towa Win

Zintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond repute
Zintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,256.34
Well having a few uncles that do carve pipestone, I would suggest that you approach someone who has taken part in the trade for many years. Its best to learn from such men because they know the traditions that are appropriate. Pipestone is fully immersed in some of the most sacred aspects of the cultures that are associated with pipes and pipe carrying. One should not rush the creation of something so sacred. There should be no rushing tradition and should be done with reverence and respect.
Zintkala Towa Win is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

mcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond reputemcalkins4052 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zintkala Towa Win View Post
Well having a few uncles that do carve pipestone, I would suggest that you approach someone who has taken part in the trade for many years. Its best to learn from such men because they know the traditions that are appropriate. Pipestone is fully immersed in some of the most sacred aspects of the cultures that are associated with pipes and pipe carrying. One should not rush the creation of something so sacred. There should be no rushing tradition and should be done with reverence and respect.

True, I have talked to a few people Ray Chavise one of my elders growing up and found drimels work well but how to get that gloss finish is where I am lost. I remember Ray mentioning beeswax, dont really know how he said he done it. But sadly Ray passed my senior year of high school,heart attack, so my ties to a master e lost tell I meet a new one. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcalkins4052 View Post
True, I have talked to a few people Ray Chavise one of my elders growing up and found drimels work well but how to get that gloss finish is where I am lost. I remember Ray mentioning beeswax, dont really know how he said he done it. But sadly Ray passed my senior year of high school,heart attack, so my ties to a master e lost tell I meet a new one. Thanks for your input.
Mcalkins:

I'm curious as to why you think a website on the internet would be the place to ask about making a pipe? I'm even more curious as to the wording you have used with respect to making an inquiry about making a pipe...

Quote:
Best way to carve, Finish, and best wood for stem...anyone? Ready go!!
Ready go? Do you honestly think that making your request sound like a starter's pistol is the most appropriate way to ask?

There are many ways to treat pipe and soap stone to seal it and give it a shine. Knowing what to use is one thing, having the skill to actually make it shine is another and something tells me you may learn what to use but you'll lack the skill to actually do it - why? Because you don't appear to a) have listened very well to your first teacher and b) you have no teacher now to oversee your work.

What wood to use will depend on your geographical location. If you are not in the country where certain woods grow, then no amount of telling you what to use will be able to produce a wood that you can use. Same for the stone. Sure you can go buy your materials at a big box craft or woodworking store but is that really the point of making a pipe?

I also note that you are dropping the name of a deceased elder, do your people allow the living to name the dead? I know mine don't, especially in such a public place.

Before you start boohooing about being a half breed and no one will tell you anything, think about this... it's not the amount of your blood that is meeting with resistance it's more the way you have presented yourself and the manner by which you are asking. Your blood has nothing to do with that - that's a construct that you have created to justify your petulance.
Awanita likes this.
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
Pow Wow Visitor

I give up. Sorry.
Sponsored Links