Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By OLChemist
  • 4 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By subeeds
  • 1 Post By wyo_rose

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Rosette help Rosette help

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
jamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,390.31
Savings: 0.00
Smile Rosette help

I'd like to make a madalion and need help.my design is a lone star with a eagle head in the middle can any one help?
jamie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-02-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,192.08
Lone Star like Texas or just a star pattern? A sketch might help at this point.

If I were approaching making a eagle head in the middle of a rosette, I'd appliqué the eagle and then work the rosette around it. This can be a bit tricky since you're forcing a round design over a non-round element.
windanncer, subeeds and Itzhecatl like this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 11-06-2015 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: I hate autocorrect -- my computer can't actually read my mind.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,192.08
My people don't have a design we call lone star, so I'm not getting a clear picture. And I currently live in TX; Lone Star is a whole different thing down here, LOL. Hence I am having a bit of trouble visualizing exactly what you want to do. Things like does the eagle's neck run to the edge of the rosette, how many points on the star, etc will influence how you proceed.

(My comments below reflect the following design assumptions: the eagle is photorealistic and the neck extends to the edge. The star is circularly symmetric and has an even number of points. The eagle's head will be beaded by appliqué that follows the lines of the design.)

I bead my rosettes on thin leather, stiffened by gluing it a circle of manilla folder, slightly smaller that he finished rosette. I use one needle appliqué and punch holes for my needle. It is a bit slower, but IMHO it can't be beat for precise bead placement and resistance to over-tightening (the beaded beanie syndrome).

I would draw pencil lines from the center of the circle to the edge, passing through the points of your star. Then I would use a compass to mark a circle (center at the center of your star) that is slightly larger than the head of the eagle. This circle will of course cross the head in places; that is OK. This line will allow you to align the rosette and keep it round.

I would then bead the eagle. Once this was finished, I'd bead by first row of the rosette along the circle. This row would be my reference. Then I'd work back and fill in the area inside the circle around the head. Then I'd work outward.

Have you beaded a rosette before? If not, I'd try a couple. There are some tricky bits you'll only understand once you've done it.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

jamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond reputejamie1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,390.31
Smile Thank you

thano you so much
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
My people don't have a design we call lone star, so I'm not getting a clear picture. And I currently live in TX; Lone Star is a whole different thing down here, LOL. Hence I am having a bit of trouble visualizing exactly what you want to do. Things like does the eagle's neck run to the edge of the rosette, how many points on the star, etc will influence how you proceed.

(My comments below reflect the following design assumptions: the eagle is photorealistic and the neck extends to the edge. The star is circularly symmetric and has an even number of points. The eagle's head will be beaded by appliqué that follows the lines of the design.)

I bead my rosettes on thin leather, stiffened by gluing it a circle of manilla folder, slightly smaller that he finished rosette. I use one needle appliqué and punch holes for my needle. It is a bit slower, but IMHO it can't be beat for precise bead placement and resistance to over-tightening (the beaded beanie syndrome).

I would draw pencil lines from the center of the circle to the edge, passing through the points of your star. Then I would use a compass to mark a circle (center at the center of your star) that is slightly larger than the head of the eagle. This circle will of course cross the head in places; that is OK. This line will allow you to align the rosette and keep it round.

I would then bead the eagle. Once this was finished, I'd bead by first row of the rosette along the circle. This row would be my reference. Then I'd work back and fill in the area inside the circle around the head. Then I'd work outward.

Have you beaded a rosette before? If not, I'd try a couple. There are some tricky bits you'll only understand once you've done it.

Last edited by Toolbox; 11-06-2015 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Fixed broken quote tag
jamie1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2015, 03:35 AM   #5
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 34,249.32
You might also want to have some size 15 or 13 beads in matching colors in case you need to bead a small spot that the 11s won't fit into.
Itzhecatl likes this.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,045.53
Sounds like good advice, OLC. I recently saw some rosette earrings with a star quilt type star in them, which was outline beaded, then rosette beaded to fill the diamonds and the background.

And this is the only time I advise beading a rosette from the outside in, is when you have an applique beaded design, like an eagle, then start at the outside circle and work your way in.

Probably don't have to get too exact with the fill...the outline might get pushed out of place. However, it's a good place to use those extra skinny beads, along with the extra chubby ones...to keep your work level and even. Using a different size of bead might be more noticeable than a blank spot. IMHO
subeeds likes this.