PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Tutorials (http://forums.powwows.com/f99/)
-   -   Sequin Work (http://forums.powwows.com/f99/sequin-work-26010/)

AngieBuns 04-11-2005 05:31 PM

Sequin Work
 
I would like to learn how to do Sequin work. No idea where to even start. Up any tips or pointers? Step by step would be great:lol:

walela49 04-11-2005 11:33 PM

Hey Angie, I'd love to start a step by step discussion here for you (like Blackbear did with her backing-a-barrette thread). I have one finished sequin set pic posted in my gallery, and I've currently got another set started. I'll just have to take a few pics of my methods, then I'll start posting like a madwoman!

Cool?

walela49 04-12-2005 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, here goes!

What you will need:

pattern
spare fabric (non-stretchy)
interfacing (only needed if fabric is thin)
embroidery hoop
sequins
seedbeads
1 needle
beading thread
fabric glue
scissors


A note about your pattern: I like to draw a to-scale pattern in color. This will give your finished product a more complete appearance because round sequins will let some of the backing material show through. If the backing material is covered with a well-designed pattern, what shows through will match!

Any questions or clarifications?

Next step coming soon.....

AngieBuns 04-12-2005 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walela49
Hey Angie, I'd love to start a step by step discussion here for you (like Blackbear did with her backing-a-barrette thread). I have one finished sequin set pic posted in my gallery, and I've currently got another set started. I'll just have to take a few pics of my methods, then I'll start posting like a madwoman!

Cool?


hell yeah thats cool :lol:

Thanks for posting so far, I am going to check that out, your list. I thought I might as well try this route, untill I can get the time or afford a nicely beaded set. Been wanting to make myself something for the longest time. BTW very nice set you made in the Trading Post, the feather one, very keen looking!

What I need to know, is how to sew those suckers to the material? And is there different shapes of Sequins? What about suppliers? Umm I guess I need to know it from step one. I have seen Sequins at Walmart, are those any good?

thizgirlpowwows 04-12-2005 07:11 PM

Thats Great That You Are Starting This, I Wanted To Learn How To Do Sequence Outfits, But Had No Clue

Blackbear 04-12-2005 08:10 PM

this is gonna be way interesting!

walela49 04-12-2005 10:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so excited that y'all are so excited about this!!!!

Ready for the next step but first a word about the sequins I use...I just get the el-cheap-o 99 cent bags of separate colors at Hobby Lobby or WalMart. I've also bought the grande bag with the colors all mixed up, then just picked out the colors as I needed them. I buy the 6mm faceted sequins, but you can buy flat sequins, shapes, and larger faceted ones. I also like to buy the el-cheap-o bulk bag of multicolored silverlined transparent seed beads to use as topper beads...you can match almost every color and they sparkle too!

Okay, now stretch your fabric on your hoop and glue your pattern on top (a thin line of fabric glue around the edge of your pattern is plenty).

walela49 04-12-2005 10:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now flip over your hoop and stick the interfacing to the back with a little fabric glue. This helps reinforce your stitches and gives the finished piece a little more body.

walela49 04-12-2005 10:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Psssstttt....Let your glue dry before you sew!

MmKay, now were ready to start!
I like to do my lines or outlines first. I use a single needle/thread to do a sort of running stitch.

walela49 04-12-2005 10:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Now, about sequin placement...I use both of the following methods:

Sometimes sequins overlap like fallen dominos...
sometimes sequins barely touch at the edges...

It just depends what kind of mood you're in I guess!!!
Also, overlapping ones seem to cover better and leave less pattern showing through...but barely touching ones cover the pattern a little faster.

walela49 04-12-2005 10:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Whew...still going!

Now it's time to fill in the big spaces. Same technique...only advice here is to try to keep symmetry in your work so your sparkle will be equal on both halves of the pattern! And TRUST ME, this stuff sparkles BIG TIME, especially in the sun!

Okay, I'm gonna take a break after this post and let y'all study up on all this info! Got questions??? HIT ME WIT EM!!

I'll begin posting finishing techniques once we feel caught up.
Cool?

AngieBuns 04-13-2005 08:10 AM

You are great woman :shades_sm

Now how do we sew them to the design? aye, I am feeling sheepsih now, but what you have done thus far is great!

walela49 04-13-2005 11:25 AM

Don't be scared! Best way to learn is trial and error.

Let me explain one of my attached pics better (it's the first red and blue drawing that illustrates the side view of a running stitch):

On how to stitch your sequins...start with a single needle/thread, come up through your fabric/pattern, up through a sequin, through a matching seedbeed, back down through the sequin, and down through the same hole you punched in your fabric/pattern. Pull it snug. Now come up though your fabric again and repeat the process, remembering to evenly space your stitches so that your sequins will look the way you'd like them too. After about 5 or 6 stitches, you'll see a nice line forming. You can also sew curves and corners! Hope this helps.

AngieBuns 04-13-2005 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walela49
Don't be scared! Best way to learn is trial and error.

Let me explain one of my attached pics better (it's the first red and blue drawing that illustrates the side view of a running stitch):

On how to stitch your sequins...start with a single needle/thread, come up through your fabric/pattern, up through a sequin, through a matching seedbeed, back down through the sequin, and down through the same hole you punched in your fabric/pattern. Pull it snug. Now come up though your fabric again and repeat the process, remembering to evenly space your stitches so that your sequins will look the way you'd like them too. After about 5 or 6 stitches, you'll see a nice line forming. You can also sew curves and corners! Hope this helps.

\

I think I might finally be getting this, so you use the bead as an anchor between the fabric and the sequin? and this prevents the sequin from going "all over" right?

wyo_rose 04-13-2005 02:05 PM

Wow, that's really nice work. Thanks for taking the time to post pics and stuff. Takes too long for me though. I like edging my items with the strips of flat sequins you can buy by the yard. I just get them running the right way, overlapping from the needleout - and run 'em over with the sewing machine.

Putting on 2 - 3 rows really sets off a cape, or whatever.

walela49 04-13-2005 05:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngieBuns
\

I think I might finally be getting this, so you use the bead as an anchor between the fabric and the sequin? and this prevents the sequin from going "all over" right?

Yes, the bead is the anchor, but the sequin is between the fabric and the bead. Make sure your sequin "cup" is facing up.

Here's an extreme closeup:

AngieBuns 04-13-2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walela49
Yes, the bead is the anchor, but the sequin is between the fabric and the bead. Make sure your sequin "cup" is facing up.

Here's an extreme closeup:

OMG now I finally get it:lol: Thank you SO much, I can't wait to get started, already have the needles and thread, just have to hit Walmart for the rest Thank yuuuuuu :thumbs_up

thizgirlpowwows 04-13-2005 05:29 PM

cool, nice detailed instructions, now i have to try this out

walela49 04-13-2005 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Awesome, glad y'all are motivated. I like sequin work cuz it's fast and really cost effective (spare fabric, couple bucks worth of sequins and junk beads costs next to nothing) and it creates a sharp looking product!

Ok, while you're sequinning (hey I think I made up a new word, call Webster's!) furiously, I'll work on posting my finishing techniques.

Next step.....take your work off the hoop and trim the fabric to about 3/4 of an inch away from the edge of your sequins:

walela49 04-13-2005 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Now flip it over and trim the interfacing really close to your stitches (carefull not to cut any thread though)!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC