Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Straight Dance Ribbonwork Straight Dance Ribbonwork

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2000, 11:10 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
pgowder is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking Straight Dance Ribbonwork

I've had dozens of emails and questions about making ribbonwork. I'm staring a new set of ribbonwork and will try over the next couple of months to post pictures of the project.

I'm using the metal template method for doing the ribbons. I will be doing a two template pattern.

Hope this will be helpful to those wanting to start doing ribbonwork, and to those already making thier own suits maybe we can share helpful hints.
pgowder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2000, 11:11 AM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

Cool

Below is the pattern that I will doing for this suit of ribbonwork. I developed this pattern with the help of Orville Gates.

In order to produce this pattern, I will be using two metal templates to cut the material. Below is an image of what the templates will look like:

Once the templates are created, I will then begin cutting the material. Below is an image showing which color and template to use:

Old 03-15-2000, 04:13 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

I cut the fabric on a template, fold it back and iron it down. Then sew theses pieces together by shingling them.
Old 03-19-2000, 04:54 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

OLD MAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 90.00
Hi,
This is my two cents on the current status of straight dance ribbon work here on the East Coast. The quality of of the cut and tuck method is outstanding.
I would like to see more research done on traditional colors and patters instead of (my observation) of making "Designer" Straight Suits
OLD MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2000, 06:40 PM   #5
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

I have a great deal of reserch on ribbon work and MANY patterns and old color schems.
Been doing ribbon work for over 25 years.
But styles are changing along with the colors. I like the old colors but you can hardly find then in the stores let alone the right moire or tafeta ribbon to do the good old work. Since I found of souce of old ribbon in France, I have been able to reproduce the old ribbon colors. THis does add to the cost of a set.

------------------
Being bored is boring.
Nothing like a night in a tipi or a day.
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-20-2000, 05:43 PM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

raptor is an unknown quantity at this point
I assume that when you all are talking about 'old colours' you mean the wonderfully vibrant silks from the 18th through the early 20th cent. and not the faded old things seen in museum collections or those worn by people for several years and bleached out by the sun. If you want to check out 'old colours', examine the thread with which the sewing was executed. For some reason thread seems not to fade like the ribbons or cloth. The results may surprise you and change your thinking about 'traditional colours'.

May I further assume, since you are all so interested in doing things in a traditional manner that you do all your sewing by hand, or at least a treadle machine? Probably not, as this is the cusp of the 21th century and we have many more modern conviences. Why not let the arts and designs of Native Americans change to reflect modern tastes and materials?

I think pgowder's effort is a fine amalgam of a traditional type of design that has been updated to current colors and materials and most any Indian man I know would be very content to wear a suit with those ribbons. Many hobs as well. I can recall old Henry Crow Dog back in the psycedelic seventies wearing a very fine bald eagle tail traditional bustle with flourescent pink plastic feathers on the trailers at the 1973(?) Pine Ridge Fair. Who are we to judge
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2000, 11:52 PM   #7
Runs with Scissors

Nagi is an unknown quantity at this point
Comment: There is a company online - Jas. Townsend & Son (I think) that sells old style silk ribbon in old-style colors. The ribbon is kind of thin (compared to the taffeta stuff), but I think it would be okay to use as straight dance ribbon work if you're putting it right onto the wool. The upside is that it looks like it would fingerpress well until you could actually hit it with an iron. The downside is that the widest ribbon available is only 1&1/4 inches, but there are several color choices if you want to get into old colors. Price is, if I remember right, $3.60/yard for the widest ribbon.

If you don't find them by searching on the name, try looking for traders who sell to re-enactors (ca. 1750 re-enactment). If I think about it in the morning, I'll go dig my sample cards out of the basement and post a follow-up message.

Question for Paul: Metal templates? Did you cut them yourself or have them cut? If you cut them, what did you cut them out of and what did you cut them with to keep them precise?

Thanks!!
Nagi
Nagi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2000, 07:50 AM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

The templates I'm using for this set, was cut for me. I have cut others though. I use alumunin flashing. To cut them I use an old pair of scissors usually.

The templates for this set of ribbons were cut using a drill press with a metal blade on the end.

Old 10-03-2000, 03:10 PM   #9
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
I know the ribbon you are talking about from the trader....It will be hard to work with as I have used it.
Try a "little" spray starch.
Has a tendency to frey.

Good luck

tipis
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2000, 04:26 PM   #10
Runs with Scissors

Nagi is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by tipis:
It will be hard to work with as I have used it. Try a "little" spray starch.
Has a tendency to frey.
Thanks for the heads-up, Tipis. I hadn't ordered any yet - just looked at the samples. I was pondering on whether to order it to make some ribbon work for a long-time family friend. Maybe I'll look some more before I do that!

Nagi
Nagi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2000, 05:22 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

itokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond reputeitokasniye has a reputation beyond repute
Gail Jewetts husband Brad and son Matthew both dance. Matt is also an awesome southern singer. He is small in stature but his voice is that of a big fat man. (no offense to anyone, Im fat also.)

A member of my drum got a ribbon set from her, she does very nice work. Most of the people up here in the NE have either Oklahoma sets or Gails sets.
itokasniye is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-20-2000, 08:14 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

I haven't finished it yet. I just about have all the ribbons cut.
Old 10-22-2000, 03:48 AM   #13
SHANKA

Ponca Wannabe: just Like Poncagirl, I am Ponca as well.I want to share something with you. As Poncas we dont say things like that to others, its just not right!
Paul does some outstanding design work and the colors are great.I would like to have some of his work! I appreciate it, I want to thank you Paul for sharing your hard work with all of us. I think its great! you know Ponca wannabe,
paul doesnt have to share his work for all to see, perphaps you might want appologize to him. Not trying to put you down. just letting you know, if you are gonna travel under our name. please show repect to others . no hard feelings.
and to paul hope you continue to share with us. good work!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2000, 01:41 AM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

bbv is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey pgowder, think that ribbon work looks neat. Are you going to have it done in time for White Bear??

[This message has been edited by bbv (edited October 23, 2000).]
bbv is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-23-2000, 08:25 AM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Unhappy

No unfortunately it won't be done for White Bear.

thanks
Old 11-03-2000, 07:56 PM   #16
Tiny Tot Dancer

RW is an unknown quantity at this point
Question

this may sound dumb, but do ya'll sew the ribons on by hand or could a person just cut satin faberic into the sapes they want and fuse them to the cloth and run a sewin machin with contrastin thread ontop of it to sew it down? I dont know the first thing about any of this, so feel free to fill me in!I guess I have an idea, but the terminology I aint gots down yet! whats ribbonwork again? LOL just teasin
take care folks
Rich
RW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-30-2000, 04:23 AM   #17
Tiny Tot Dancer

Cool! Thanks Man! I will try that! I cant wait for my sewin machine to get fixed!
Old 12-10-2000, 01:45 AM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

SHand is an unknown quantity at this point
Rich, I have a basic set of instructions for the ribbonwork if you will give me your home address I will send you a set. These instructions were written to go along with a hands on class so you won't get as much out of them. However, with a little injunuity as it seems you have, maybe it could help you figure it out.
Ps... I still have this cat....
SHand is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2000, 10:59 PM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

SHand is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a few more pointers on Osage type ribbonwork. Graph paper works good to lay out patterns on. Then you can transfer the pattern to COATED vynal(SP?) flashing. Cut out the pattern with sharp scissors. Check the pattern on a large piece of construction paper, because if the points don't match up now they never will. You can use moire taffeta or acetate ribbon but remember that acetate will come apart if dry cleaned. Wet the ribbon and fold back over the template and iron down. You aren't doing it right if you don't burn your thumb once pet night. A wise man will talk his wife into the ironing part but don't let her read the instructions. Let dry completely and sew your set together. If the above instructions don't help much then mortgage the house and call a ribbon maker! Good Luck!
SHand is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-15-2000, 01:28 AM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

Cool! thanks! I tryed the osage style last night! fare for the first time, but not up to my strict standards!
I used taffeta and for yellow All I had was satin fabric. I just made a pattern from cardboard and traced the outline on the fabric, then cut a straight line from the edge of the ribbon to the place where the fold was gonna start. wish I had a template dealy to iron it on, so my points mached perfectly they mached pretty good, but not right on.. from a disdence of a few feet they look great! anyhow. I noticed that the taffeta, held a tight ironed fold, while the satin cloth, just kinda made a sorta fold.. Iam lookin forward to learnin more tricks of the trade! for sure.
Thanks again!
Rich
Sponsored Links