Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Straight Dance Ribbonwork Straight Dance Ribbonwork

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #61
its to cold up here

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
Savings: 0.00
the chainette fringe, what you usually see on traditional shawls, can be bought from suppliers easy enough (crazy crow, noc bay, etc..)
For ribbon it gets a little harder- my wife has been able to find big spools of ribbon (1/4, 5/8) somewhere online, but I dont know the site.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-31-2009, 10:27 PM   #62
Pow Wow Visitor

hermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond reputehermanyhorses has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 469.00
The most beautiful work i have ever seen

I tried some ribbonwork on my shawl and its not all that complicated. Just a lakota design. And i see from different pictures. i know now not to mix two light colors. I have to mix my colors up. from dark to light and so on. But the ribbonwork i seen was a girl who let me take a picture. she said it took her a long while to finish it. But wow! I appauld to all who has this gift. Myself i have gift of beadwork. I tried a few large items and made them into art work. like a few crowns and beaded bag that i made for a dear friend. My grandma taught me that which she knew i would make simple items into artwork. And my grandma told me if people have problems of designs help them out. I normally help out total strangers. And other people say i shouldnt but in my heart i believe never be stingy cause one day you will need help and someone will be there to help.
hermanyhorses is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #63
Asmajol

After 2 years after having found some fabric and ribbon for a dress, I finally got how i want it to look!

Since I have not done ribbonwork before and i am not using fusing, the deign is purty basic with hearts and diamonds and will be at base of shawl and base of skirt.

Dunno, but this thread is a lifesaver.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #64
Pow Wow Visitor

jlee is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
ribbon

so is there actually spools of ribbon that are purchased or is it fabric that is being cut into strips????
jlee is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #65
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,401.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlee View Post
so is there actually spools of ribbon that are purchased or is it fabric that is being cut into strips????
I buy fabric and cut it into the strips.
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #66
Pow Wow Visitor

mountainflower is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 127.99
Question Straight dance ribbon work

I would like to begin my first project with ribbon work. I still need some basic tips and pointers to get going in a good direction. I have 3" tafetta ribbon and will be making a shawl with a geometric pattern. Do I cut and fold the ribbon? How do I prevent fraying at the corners? Do I begin my pattern in the center of the edge? and layer it from one side to the other, or outside towards center? Do I top-stitch it all once I have it ironed and tacked down using some kind of iron-on thing? Can I use regular polyester threads for the stitching or is there some certain type of thread that is best to use with the taffetta ribbon? What are some options for creating my template/pattern besides aluminum flashing? something easier to cut accurately? and what is a good program to use to design my pattern? I realize this is a labor of love for anyone who embarks on this work, and it must take alot of patience and practice to master. I really appreciate those ones who are generous in sharing their experience and tips on how to do this, thankyou.
mountainflower is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012, 10:40 PM   #67
Berry Picker

Berry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,244.31
mountainflower,

I use polyester ribbons. Polyester melts.
Most material out there that can be used for "ribbon work" is man made stuff that can be melted.
So I use a hot knife to make my cuts on the material.
That eliminates any chance of the material fraying.
the hot knife I use is an old wood burning hobby tool.
A filed soldering iron would work well.
Or actually stick a knife blade in a fire...

Either way, try not to breathe the fumes.

Real silk cannot be worked the way I describe but its safe to say that most people dont use silk anymore.

When making my folds, I will melt a small corner and press the fold. The little melted bit will secure the fold long enough for me to iron the ribbon down. I do all the folding first then iron the ribbon all at once. At this point its ready for sewing. Yeah I burn my fingers a bit sometimes. But I never have fraying and my folds hold together till I get them sewed down.

Its fair to add that Ive never met anyone else who cuts their ribbons with a hot knife. Its something I figured out on my own and it seems to work well for me.

I hope I didnt post about this earlier in the thread and forgot about it. This threads been here for awhile ya know...
Berry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #68
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
Berry,

I know several people who use a similar system to you, although they use the hot knife to cut the entire design out rather than doing folds.

From 20 feet away it looks fine, from 10 not so much.

Do you get bumpiness from the burnt edges?
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #69
Berry Picker

Berry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond reputeBerry Picker has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,244.31
legalstraight,

Its not any more bumpier than the thickness of the folds. If anything the melts are thinner. And the needle doesnt seem to be bothered much when it hits a melted bit. But usually the melted edges are far away from the stitching.

My ribbons all get folded so the "edges" are neatly tucked away as good cut and fold ribbon work should be imho. The "cuts" are made the same as if using using scissors or whatever cutting instrument one uses. This is not to be confused with applique. But sure, I could see one using a hot knife for cutting applique patterns out of plasticy/man made materials. I just do cut and fold.
Berry Picker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links