Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Threadwork Threadwork

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
the legal plumes lady!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
walela49 has a reputation beyond repute
walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
Savings: 0.00
Threadwork

after many requests, I'm finally getting around to a tutorial on threadwork....flat style (not stacked).

Materials:

something to wrap...feather quill, dowel rod, etc.
thread...I love Sulky brand rayon sewing/embroidery machine thread
Scissors...small and SHARP!!!
Glue...whatever you like...I like Aleens Tacky Glue...dries clear and flexible...washes off fingers easily!
Ruler or measuring tape
Pencil or pen...I like Micron pens (indelible ink, super tiny point)
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial1.jpg  
walela49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Prepping surfaces to wrap:

bare quills: normally very slick...you might need to scratch the surface with very fine grit sandpaper...or coat with a thin layer of glue (let dry)...I usually overwrap real quills with thin buckskin first.

wooden dowel rods/bamboo skewers...don't really need prep work

if you have other things you want to wrap..post em here and I will give you hints if I have any!!!
Old 03-25-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
the legal plumes lady!

Choose your colors!

I always plan out my color scheme first...count colors and do a little math to figure how I want my wrapped segements to look.

Mark your segements directly on the stick...this is where you will change threads for a new color.

Marking on buckskin is easy with marker or really sharp mechanical pencil.

Marking on dowels is easy too, but I suggest a light coat of clear fingernail polish over pencil marks to keep em from rubbing off the wood as you work!
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial2.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 01:44 PM   #4
the legal plumes lady!

Now you're ready to begin wrapping...

please note in this pic, I've created a paper cone/collar to hold the feathers out of the way...otherwize you'll go crazy trying to avoid catching fluff in the top of your threading!

I'm right handed:

hold the thing you're wrapping (I'll keep calling it a "stick") in your left hand and hold the thread in your right hand.

create a vertical "tag" with the end of the thread and hold it down tight against the stick with your left thumb, then wrap around and over the tag once or twice to hold it secure.

now you shouldn't have to hold on to the tag any more and you can freely spin the stick in your left hand while guiding the thread with your right.

wrap with good, even tension, carefully keeping the wraps close

tension while wrapping sticks isn't much of an issue (other than too much of it resulting in broken thread)

tension while wrapping over buckskin can be tricky: altering tight and loose tensions will result in bulges and indentions in the finished product...a little practice will help you find your groove!

keep wrapping until you reach your mark
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial3.jpg   threadworktutorial4.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
the legal plumes lady!

PS: about holding your thread in your right hand...I don't wrap directly off the spool (though you certainly can do it this way)...I set the spool down and run the thread through my hand, going around some fingers on the way, ultimately pinching it between my thumb and index finger...this helps me control the wraps and tension really well...and yes, results in a few cranps and callouses! lol

practice lots to get a grip on what works best for you! AYE!
Old 03-25-2007, 02:04 PM   #6
the legal plumes lady!

now let's change colors!

hold your last wrap down against the stick with your left thumb and cut your thread leaving about a 2 inch tail.

then carefully start a new color by creating a new vertical tag and sliding it under the same thumb that's holding the first tail.

tag and tail should be practically on top of each other

then loop around again once or twice with the new color to hold the tag and tail in place.

adjust your grip, spin that stick, and wrap to your next mark!

you can continue to wrap over your tails, or you can trim em as you go... I like to trim as I go cuz some colors show thru a bit (like thru yellow or white)

just clip the tails in the middle of a wrapped section and keep on wrapping to hide em underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial5.jpg   threadworktutorial6.jpg   threadworktutorial7.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #7
the legal plumes lady!

more pics about clipping tails
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial8.jpg   threadworktutorial9.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 02:08 PM   #8
the legal plumes lady!

now start your next color holding those tags and tails and maintaining even tension!
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial10.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
the legal plumes lady!

continue til you come to the last segement!

this time leave a long tag that will not be clipped off and will hag out of the last finished segement...red tail in pic is a good 4-5 inches long

this is what I use to tie my one and only knot at the end of the stick
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial11.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 02:15 PM   #10
the legal plumes lady!

I usually place the stick between my knees so it doesn't roll, then use the final thread to tie a square knot with the final tail
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial12.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
the legal plumes lady!

then bring the 2 thread together, clip em short and place a tiny dot of glue on that knot.

use your left thumb to smear the glue (with one last spin of the stick) around the very last wrap and glue down the final tail too! this will help hide them into the final wrapped segement.
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial13.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 02:20 PM   #12
the legal plumes lady!

tahdah!

FIN!
Attached Thumbnails
threadworktutorial14.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 02:25 PM   #13
the legal plumes lady!

some examples of my more advanced work (over buckskin):

the one on the left is 2mm segements with some metalic threads too

the one on the right is 3mm segements
Attached Thumbnails
threadworkexample1.jpg   threadworkexample2.jpg   threadworkexample3.jpg  

Last edited by walela49; 03-25-2007 at 02:27 PM..
Old 03-25-2007, 02:28 PM   #14
the legal plumes lady!

and some of my wrapped dowels/skewers:
Attached Thumbnails
threadworkexample4.jpg   threadworkexample5.jpg  
Old 03-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
pretty!
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2007, 07:21 PM   #16
Cloth Dancer

Items Dolphin
NancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
NancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond reputeNancyJo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,020.79
Awesome, Walela!!! You are an excellent teacher!
I'll have to see if I can find some of that thread and give doing thread work a go.
Thanks for all your work!
NancyJo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2007, 07:33 PM   #17
Banned

Creewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
I second that, awesome way to teach I can start trying this out on my own now
Creewoman05 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2007, 04:12 PM   #18
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,159.15
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJo View Post
Awesome, Walela!!! You are an excellent teacher!
I'll have to see if I can find some of that thread and give doing thread work a go.
Thanks for all your work!
Ive seen that thread at sewing machine stores like Bernena, some at JOanne's ,its not cheap but works up real nice.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #19
Teen Dancer

musicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
thank you so much for putting on this tutorial..what i'm looking to do with my fan is im wanting to put threadwork at the top quill of each feather well basically on the whole entire quill i want to do thread work on it but how do you do it on the first beginning half (base) of the quill where the feather starts? is it the same concept as you put in the tutorial or is it totally different?
musicedu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #20
the legal plumes lady!

yep...it's the same, just make a paper collar to hold the feather out of the way and start wrapping just like I described!!!
Sponsored Links