Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts > Tutorials Threadwork Threadwork

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2007, 05:54 AM   #21
Honey Connoissuer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Have you tried the layered threadwork yet? I've been using embroidery floss for my threadwork, I like the idea of rayon thread better LOL! probably will take longer but it definitley looks nicer!
Old 03-28-2007, 06:17 AM   #22
Gourd Dancer

JimGrayOwl has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
That was very nice of you to post this tutorial. An awesome job and something I have been thinking about doing. I should probably visit this site more often. By the way, have you ever seen a 'fly tying thread dispenser?' Before you did this, that's what I was leaning toward trying. I don't know if it would work or not, never tied a fly either lol.

Thanks again,

Jim
JimGrayOwl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #23
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond repute
walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 112.00
I'm fairly certain that a fly tying rig is what you use to do the stacked thread wrap...also, for stacked, a thicker thread is much better to use..check out the fly tying thread, it's sturdier and bigger than the delicate rayon embroidery machine thread (and thus easier to stack).

stacked wrapping can be done in various ways, to create different looks to the stack (rounded, pyramid, etc.), but ultimately it starts out the same, with a flat first layer, the you backtrack one thread to start your first stacked layer...hope that makes sense! LOL

pretty sure you laquer as you go too, to hold everything together...so you have to pause to let the laquer dry for each layer...that's why a fly tying bobbin holder is helpful...it holds your thread without cutting while you walk away and let the laquer dry.
walela49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2007, 07:16 PM   #24
the legal plumes lady!

walela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond reputewalela49 has a reputation beyond repute
here's a fan I just finished!! it's up for sale on Ebay!!!
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZwalela49QQhtZ-1
don't have a clue what to ask for it, so I'm no reserving it to see what I can get!!! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
fangrouse1.jpg  
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #25
Junior Dancer

Tlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,851.70
Thank you so much for the tutorial. You do awesome work.
Tlinkamoe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2007, 02:41 PM   #26
Tiny Tot Dancer

Travis will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by walela49 View Post
..check out the fly tying thread,
I tie my own flys and have quite a bit of fly tying threads/materials. There are some metallic materials available at fly shops that are great for feather work. Lots of variety of types, colors and materials.
Be careful though because fly tying thread comes in many different sizes and the smaller sizes are very very delicate, even more than rayon and all. So if you go to a fly shop ask about the sizes first. Different manufacturers label their sizes differently as well. Some of the heavier fly tying threads would be good options to use, just stay away from the small sizes, atleast that's my opinion anyway.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #27
the legal plumes lady!

thanks Travis!

so do sporting goods stores have a good selection of threads, or is it better to look online?
Old 04-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #28
Tiny Tot Dancer

Travis will become famous soon enough
For Fly Tying Threads, I'd say stick with Fly Shops. The only sporting goods stores (nation wide companies anyway) I know of that have a selection of fly tying material/threads would be either Bass Pro Shops or Cabela's. You can probably view their thread selections online. Most fly shops have just as good and probably better selection though.
You can go online but I'd make sure the site had sometype of reference as to what size thread it was. Some companies have 10/0 (super small), 8/0, 6/0, 3/0 and then A (big). One type of thread goes from 70 (smallest) to 210 (larger). Plus there are different types of threads, nylon vs kevlar. (I've done some beadwork with kevlar thread and that stuff is so strong that if you tighten up a stitch or something like a knot, the thread may slice into your skin if you pull too hard) So personally, I'd be weary of ordering without seeing it first.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2007, 02:38 PM   #29
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
I've waited. Now it's time to post.

www.gudebrod.com

Your ONE Place THREAD stop....not to mention glues and other fixatives.

http://www.gudebrod.com/fishing2005/...pping.htm#Neon

It's all I use. I swear by it....aye!

It's good thread, expensive, but, when you start using it, you'll see why.

I've used silk, rayon, embroidery thread, regular cotton thread..........and a slew of blends, from poly-cottons to rayon-silks.

Nylon jig thread works best for me.

But, to each his own.

What works best for you, and gives you the desired result, is what you want to go with.

Everyone says nylon, but, it's got a few drawbacks as well. ....however few. It's just getting comfortable with what you've got on hand to use.

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #30
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
You know.. If Bo Jangles says it's the best, I would definitly try it out.. he knows what he's talking about.

How you been dude? Long time no see!!!
Old 04-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #31
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
You know.. If Bo Jangles says it's the best, I would definitly try it out.. he knows what he's talking about.

How you been dude? Long time no see!!!

You're giving me too much credit!! LOL!!

Pretty good....well.....I'm doing alright. Let's just say that and be done with it. LMAO!!!

How's about you J? How's things in the thawing North these days?

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #32
the legal plumes lady!

hi MBJ...welcome back and pardon me while I pick your brain! LOL

just wondering what your experience is like concerning various lacquers?...do you have a preference by brand? and do you have more success lacquering certain types of threads over others?

cuz I know nylon beading thread shrinks when wet...just wondering if this is even an issue with wrapped threads? I've only tried cotton, poly, rayon, and metallic sliver...and those lacquer fine with plain ol' B52, but some colors do darken or increase in transparency

figured you'd have more experience to share
Old 04-05-2007, 01:19 AM   #33
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
I've used Rust-oleum specialty high lustre Lacquer on various items. I start with very thin evenlayers to start, so my item is not dripping wet, and I let each dry very well. It works good on all kinds of stuff, including my painting on drums.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2007, 08:27 AM   #34
Super Troop

chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 372.82
So last night I made an attemp at threadwork and i was doing such a good job, the only trouble i had was that very first thread you wrap as well as the second, i quite yet haven't figured out the trick to it but eventually i will. also when starting a new color trying to hold down the tail of the last color and holding the "tack" thread of the new color, whew. so i was able to wrap like 4 colors until the oven timer went off. i carefully laid the skewer on the coffee table in the living room and went to check on dinner. so within a few minutes i came back and i saw that the skewer was wrapped with a pink ribbon. i carefully unwrapped it and the last thread i was working on was in tangles :sad: my beautiful daughter tried wrapping the skewer with a pink ribbon. well i'm gonna try it again today.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:05 AM   #35
the legal plumes lady!

MJB and WW...I ment lacquer of the brush-on variety...sorry I confused anyone

Chira...cute story...my lil girl is fascinated by it too!

when i hold the tags-n-tails at a color change, I find it helpful to kinda pinch em against the stick with my thumbnail until it's held in place by the first 1 or 2 wraps
Old 04-05-2007, 11:25 AM   #36
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 29,159.15
Walela your muh hero! ive tried wrapping my plumes and it looks like poo lol Im about to look for somebody that can do away better job than me.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:18 AM   #37
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Nice tutorial!
About 3-4 years ago I took a fly-tying class precisely to learn the thread wrapping techniques. Sorry to say, I have not used those skills much since. (I have too many hobbies already!) But the bobbin holder thingy is quite handy and makes your thread spool off so smoothly without tangles.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #38
Super Troop

chirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond reputechirapachegurl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 372.82
it's holding down the "tacking" thread and then wrapping a new color. i hold the tail of the color i just finished down with all my might and try wrapping on the first thread of the new color and then if i let go for jut a little bit the tail thread of the color i just finished loosens up just a bit so then i have to go back and re-wrap the last wrap and then attempt to work on the new color if that makes sense but the colors i had wrapped looked really cool, shiny and silky and smooth.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:56 PM   #39
Pow Wow Visitor

winawachikaNtn is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

i have a plume set from you, but my daughter bent down and meeko snagged one off the top of her head..now i can mend it from your tut., she was heartbroken, thank you for posting this, also i want to say your work is amazing!
winawachikaNtn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-04-2007, 09:01 PM   #40
the legal plumes lady!

so here's my most detailed threadwork to date...each color is 1 millimeter...I 'bout went blind doing it...lol.

well, shoot, I can't upload any more attachment photos...some new memory space limit (thats way too small for us'uns who post losts of pics in tutorials btw ;)

so here's the link to the pic in my gallery:

http://www.powwows.com/galleries/sho...t=&ppuser=7787

wish I could've uploaded a close-up attachment photo of the threadwork, but oh well :)
Sponsored Links