View Single Post
Old 09-22-2001, 12:04 AM   #48
Sahnish
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Sahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I think I seen my first hobbyist dancing this past week end in Tama, IA. There were four of them 3 northern style and a southern style. They danced intertribals and no one really seem to pay any attention to them. A couple of them were dancing in the contest as well and this is where they stuck out like a sore thumb. They had what I think were suppose to be ribbon shirts on, but they looked like period clothing from the 1800's and I really didn't make the connection to the dance outfit. One guy had a dance stick with a whole side of a 4 point deer antler, now I have seen deer antler used but never the whole side and I think that is probably not understanding the purpose of the stick. The one guy had a barred turkey feather bustle on with maybe 12-16 feathers in the whole bustle. Bear in mind Tama was a big dog pow wow with maybe 35-40 traditional dancers with absolutely beautiful eagle feather bustles and beaded outfits which made the poor guy's sparse turkey bustle and outfit stand out even more. Then they started dancing. They got 3 songs one of which was a crow hop. The poor guys weren't able to stay on beat, and the one guy did not have a clue as to how a crow hop should be danced and to make matters worst they were dancing against "pro's" who have been dancing all summer which made them stand out even more.

The point of all this is that the non native was allowed to participate but I am not sure what was accomplished. For myself, it made me very uncomfortable to see, not the fact that they were dancing but that I was embrassed for them because of their lack of understanding, skill, outfits and the snide little remarks and giggles behind there back. I guess I just wonder why someone would subject themselves to this.

Anyhoo, thats my take on seeing hobbyist dance for the first time.

"There is nothing more dangerous than ignorance in action."
Sahnish is offline   Share with Facebook