Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 1 Post By milehighsalute
  • 1 Post By OLChemist
  • 4 Post By eagleclanriverband

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk anyone know anything about this? anyone know anything about this?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #1
Dances With Fat Chicks
 
milehighsalute's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DENVER
Posts: 1,057
Credits: 31,977.76
Savings: 0.00
anyone know anything about this?

The Matthews Family

i clicked the link provided but its no longer any good

anyone know anything about the scholarship money? how its won? how its funded? how its distributed?

i always thought of gathering to be the biggest of the biggest.....therefore subject to the biggest scrutiny

thanks
__________________
"I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2016, 06:09 PM   #2
Pow Wow Committee
 
OLChemist's Avatar
 
Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,911
Credits: 94,166.75
Savings: 0.00
There are two kinds of scholarships --

Five of $500 per semester book/lab fee scholarships awarded once a year. These are only for junior, senior or graduate level Native students attending the UNM Main campus.

UNM AISS scholarship page

The occasionally awarded Dr Lila Mathews Graduate Scholarship. This is a much larger scholarship, again for UNM. The last documented recipient I can find was in 2006.

Navajo Time article about GON, 2012

You can scoff at the seemingly paltry book scholarships. But, I can tell you from personal experience getting even a tiny bit of acknowledgement can make a huge difference. Maybe not in the finances, but in self-esteem.


You want to try and figure out tax documents for a non-profit. Have at. Here's Pro-Publica's Non-Profit Explorer page on Gathering of Nations Limited:

Gathering of Nations Limited

I've never been particularly convinced this event is a huge cash cow. I'm willing to bet UNM gets a nice chunk in venue rental and concessions. There is professional security, medics, AV rental and setup, staff costs, honorarium, insurance, city permits and taxes... I've been involved in organizing conferences and have been stunned by the number of entities that get a cut. Liability insurance alone for an event like that is a staggering expense.

Besides so what? He does the work and takes the risk. Are the Mathew's really doing anything different than a sport team owner or a concert promoter? You could make a case that they exploit fans. If you feel different then vote with your feet and your wallet. Go to a community powwow instead.

Native people complain about them every year. But the overcrowding that leads to much of the safety problems isn't coming from 20K of wannabes cramming into the Pit. The dancers come to feel the energy and be part of the event. And come Saturday night this year, when the MC asks how many folks watching came in from Tuba City, it won't be 10,000 white guys blowing out your ear drums.
windanncer likes this.

Last edited by OLChemist; 03-25-2016 at 10:42 PM.. Reason: Un- makes a difference
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
Dances With Fat Chicks
 
milehighsalute's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DENVER
Posts: 1,057
Credits: 31,977.76
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
There are two kinds of scholarships --

Five of $500 per semester book/lab fee scholarships awarded once a year. These are only for junior, senior or graduate level Native students attending the UNM Main campus.

UNM AISS scholarship page

The occasionally awarded Dr Lila Mathews Graduate Scholarship. This is a much larger scholarship, again for UNM. The last documented recipient I can find was in 2006.

Navajo Time article about GON, 2012

You can scoff at the seemingly paltry book scholarships. But, I can tell you from personal experience getting even a tiny bit of acknowledgement can make a huge difference. Maybe not in the finances, but in self-esteem.


You want to try and figure out tax documents for a non-profit. Have at. Here's Pro-Publica's Non-Profit Explorer page on Gathering of Nations Unlimited:

Gathering of Nations Unlimited

I've never been particularly convinced this event is a huge cash cow. I'm willing to bet UNM gets a nice chunk in venue rental and concessions. There is professional security, medics, AV rental and setup, staff costs, honorarium, insurance, city permits and taxes... I've been involved in organizing conferences and have been stunned by the number of entities that get a cut. Liability insurance alone for an event like that is a staggering expense.

Besides so what? He does the work and takes the risk. Are the Mathew's really doing anything different than a sport team owner or a concert promoter? You could make a case that they exploit fans. If you feel different then vote with your feet and your wallet. Go to a community powwow instead.

Native people complain about them every year. But the overcrowding that leads to much of the safety problems isn't coming from 20K of wannabes craving into the Pit. The dancers come to feel the energy and be part of the event. And come Saturday night this year, when the MC asks how many folks watching came in from Tuba City, it won't be 10,000 white guys blowing out your ear drums.
im not knocking.....just inquiring about the actual scholarship

i am still hoping it isnt the way it was portrayed on NAFPS by the original poster

i actually enjoy the event myself though i have only been to a few

personally dont see a big difference between gathering or denver march
windanncer likes this.
__________________
"I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #4
Pow Wow Committee
 
OLChemist's Avatar
 
Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 3,911
Credits: 94,166.75
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
im not knocking.....
Sorry, I had a crummy day. Forgive me for jumping on you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighsalute View Post
i actually enjoy the event myself though i have only been to a few

personally dont see a big difference between gathering or denver march

I stood in line a lot longer for fry bread at Denver March, LOL. And you hear a lot more Lakota at Denver March.

I went to Gathering almost every year from '89 - 03' and have only gone a few times since '03. I will say the GON crowd had gotten really hard for me to deal with my bum hip. I quit going when I started to get afraid of being knocked down those steps cause I couldn't move fast enough.
windanncer likes this.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-26-2016, 12:16 AM   #5
Northern Traditional
 
eagleclanriverband's Avatar
 
Items RainbowTree
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
eagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond reputeeagleclanriverband has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Whereabouts Unknown
Posts: 318
Blog Entries: 5
Credits: 12,373.83
Savings: 0.00
Hi there,
First, let me say that I don't know anything about any of this. But that doesn't stop me from commenting...LOL! Seriously, I'm just trying to be helpful.

So, I followed the Matthews Family link above to a NAFPS forum. Within that entry/post, I click on the GON link.

Although that specific page is not found, if you look on the left side bar, and hover your cursor over the Education tab, you'll see pop-out sub-categories, including Gathering of Nations Scholarship sub-tab with a further sub-category below which is entitled "GON UNM Recipient History".

The direct page link that I am describing to get to above is:
Gathering of Nations GON UNM Scholarship Recipient History


On this page, they state: (Cut & Paste)

This page is a history of the Gathering of Nations Scholarship award Recipients, content will updated as information is received. PAGE IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION FOR PAST RECIPIENTS.

Gathering of Nations has awarded the Gathering Of Nations scholarship to Native American students at the University of New Mexico. The Scholarship award is intended to assist students with the purchase of text books and lab fees and selection of award recipients is determined by application which demonstrated, grade point average, essay, and financial need.

The Gathering of Nations Limited thanks Pamela Agoyo (Dir. UNM American Indian Student Services) and the University of New Mexico Scholarship office for their assistance.

2016 GON Spring Scholarship Award Recipients:

The following students are the recipients of the 2016 award:
GON Star Bullet LaShai Jake (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Sandra Yellow horse (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Renaldo P. Lujan (Taos Pueblo)
GON Star Bullet Maruja Trujillo (Laguna Pueblo)
GON Star Bullet Latasha James (Navajo)


2015 GON Scholarship Award Recipients:

The Scholarship award is intended to assist students with the purchase of text books and lab fees. The following students are the recipients of the 2015 award:
GON Star Bullet Marika Trujillo (Pueblo of Laguna)
GON Star Bullet Scott Harold Willie (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Jennifer A. King (Zuni)
GON Star Bullet Renaldo P. Lujan (Taos Pueblo)
GON Star Bullet Contreta Endwarrior (Navjo/Oneida)


2014 GON Scholarship Award Recipients:

The Scholarship award is intended to assist students with the purchase of text books and lab fees. The following students are the recipients of the 2014 award:
GON Star Bullet Contreta Endwarrior Junior (Navajo/Oneida)Keloshiah Amber Peter Senior(Dine)
GON Star Bullet Leighanne C Herrera Senior (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Sharlynn Lee Senior (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Wayne Thompson Senior (Oneida)
GON Star Bullet Justine Correa Junior (Laguna)


2013 GON Scholarship Award Recipients:

The Scholarship award is intended to assist students with the purchase of text books and lab fees. The following students are the recipients of the 2013 award:

GON Star Bullet Leighanne C. Herrera (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Sharlynn Lee (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Jessica Benally (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Monika Honeyestewa (Laguna Pueblo)
GON Star Bullet Shawna Nelson (Navajo)


(Cut & Paste End)

From this page, it would appear to me that GON has given out Scholarship Awards to named recipients for 2013-2016.

I hope this info is helpful. And I hope everyone enjoys Denver March!!
eagleclanriverband is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
Dances With Fat Chicks
 
milehighsalute's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
milehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond reputemilehighsalute has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DENVER
Posts: 1,057
Credits: 31,977.76
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleclanriverband View Post
Hi there,
First, let me say that I don't know anything about any of this. But that doesn't stop me from commenting...LOL! Seriously, I'm just trying to be helpful.

So, I followed the Matthews Family link above to a NAFPS forum. Within that entry/post, I click on the GON link.

Although that specific page is not found, if you look on the left side bar, and hover your cursor over the Education tab, you'll see pop-out sub-categories, including Gathering of Nations Scholarship sub-tab with a further sub-category below which is entitled "GON UNM Recipient History".

The direct page link that I am describing to get to above is:
Gathering of Nations GON UNM Scholarship Recipient History


On this page, they state: (Cut & Paste)

This page is a history of the Gathering of Nations Scholarship award Recipients, content will updated as information is received. PAGE IS STILL UNDER CONSTRUCTION FOR PAST RECIPIENTS.

Gathering of Nations has awarded the Gathering Of Nations scholarship to Native American students at the University of New Mexico. The Scholarship award is intended to assist students with the purchase of text books and lab fees and selection of award recipients is determined by application which demonstrated, grade point average, essay, and financial need.

The Gathering of Nations Limited thanks Pamela Agoyo (Dir. UNM American Indian Student Services) and the University of New Mexico Scholarship office for their assistance.

2016 GON Spring Scholarship Award Recipients:

The following students are the recipients of the 2016 award:
GON Star Bullet LaShai Jake (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Sandra Yellow horse (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Renaldo P. Lujan (Taos Pueblo)
GON Star Bullet Maruja Trujillo (Laguna Pueblo)
GON Star Bullet Latasha James (Navajo)


2015 GON Scholarship Award Recipients:

The Scholarship award is intended to assist students with the purchase of text books and lab fees. The following students are the recipients of the 2015 award:
GON Star Bullet Marika Trujillo (Pueblo of Laguna)
GON Star Bullet Scott Harold Willie (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Jennifer A. King (Zuni)
GON Star Bullet Renaldo P. Lujan (Taos Pueblo)
GON Star Bullet Contreta Endwarrior (Navjo/Oneida)


2014 GON Scholarship Award Recipients:

The Scholarship award is intended to assist students with the purchase of text books and lab fees. The following students are the recipients of the 2014 award:
GON Star Bullet Contreta Endwarrior Junior (Navajo/Oneida)Keloshiah Amber Peter Senior(Dine)
GON Star Bullet Leighanne C Herrera Senior (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Sharlynn Lee Senior (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Wayne Thompson Senior (Oneida)
GON Star Bullet Justine Correa Junior (Laguna)


2013 GON Scholarship Award Recipients:

The Scholarship award is intended to assist students with the purchase of text books and lab fees. The following students are the recipients of the 2013 award:

GON Star Bullet Leighanne C. Herrera (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Sharlynn Lee (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Jessica Benally (Navajo)
GON Star Bullet Monika Honeyestewa (Laguna Pueblo)
GON Star Bullet Shawna Nelson (Navajo)


(Cut & Paste End)

From this page, it would appear to me that GON has given out Scholarship Awards to named recipients for 2013-2016.

I hope this info is helpful. And I hope everyone enjoys Denver March!!
that's good enough for me I'm gonna share your post on NAFPS
__________________
"I on the trail of a possible good Indian lady and she is reported to like the old way's and she to believes in big family and being at home with kids all the time"... - MOTOOPI aka WOUNDED BEAR
milehighsalute is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-05-2016, 12:31 PM   #7
Ready to dance
 
wyo_rose's Avatar
 
Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Back and Forth
Posts: 16,510
Blog Entries: 2
Credits: 63,056.53
Savings: 0.00
Does anybody know anything else about any scholarships for Native Med Students? (not attending UNM)
__________________
...it is what it is...
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

    

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Join PowWows.com Today!

Your Guide to Native American Pow Wows Since 1996

Register For Free

Enjoy the benefits of being a member of PowWows.com!

Join our Native American online community focused on Pow Wow singing, dancing, crafts, Native American music, Native American videos, and more.

Add your Pow Wow to our Calendar

Share your photos and videos

Play games, enter contests, and much more!






New Threads

Pow Wow Calendar Search

 
Month: Year:

Location:

Videos

Featured Articles

Dance Styles

Crafts

Gallery