PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/index.php)
-   Pow Wow Talk (http://forums.powwows.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   *attention White People Who Powow!* (http://forums.powwows.com/showthread.php?t=36832)

steelemagnolia63 02-03-2009 10:07 PM

:lol: yes my brooches will all fit the time period of my regalia, or any time period from about 1750 to the early 1900's... Come on now do you think that my shiney objects won't go with my cloth regalia???

Just cause my brothers call me Dorrie behind my back ( you know dorrie the fish in finding nemo... she likes shiney objects and Can't remember anything) doesn't mean that I am not goingto put the right shineys on my cloth....

The thistle brooch is something that Scots have worn for 1000's of years to hold stuff togther, and it would have been very desired to use as a decoration on Cherokee and other Eastern Woodlands clothing.

Whatever I finally decide on for my Irish piece will also be historically or traditionally correct...

SuzzeQ4 02-03-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 (Post 1263544)
:lol: yes my brooches will all fit the time period of my regalia, or any time period from about 1750 to the early 1900's... Come on now do you think that my shiney objects won't go with my cloth regalia???

Just cause my brothers call me Dorrie behind my back ( you know dorrie the fish in finding nemo... she likes shiney objects and Can't remember anything) doesn't mean that I am not goingto put the right shineys on my cloth....

The thistle brooch is something that Scots have worn for 1000's of years to hold stuff togther, and it would have been very desired to use as a decoration on Cherokee and other Eastern Woodlands clothing.

Whatever I finally decide on for my Irish piece will also be historically or traditionally correct...

I do think it would work, thought it was a good example for others whose pieces may not.

shadowoman 02-03-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions (Post 1263537)
Hang on there a second. Just because broaches and other bangles were prized by our women does not mean you can pick one that suits your fancy and go with it. The sparkle dangle must meet some requirments.

Is the item of the period of your regalia? Would that item be traded at that time to a NDN?

Every item must be checked for accuracy to fit the look and time. We're not making a fashion statement here.

I AGREE MY KID DOES REINACTING AT A HISTORICAL SITE HERE IN MICHIGAN AND ONLY WEARS BUCKSKIN (NOT FANCY REGALIA)BUT EVERYDAY PLAIN-- THREE SKIN DRESS AND MOCOSINS NO FEATHERS OR SPINNERS JUST LEATHER HAIR TIES -SHE TELLS STORIES OF THE GREAT LAKE PEOPLE TO SCHOOL CHILDREN AS WRITTEN BY TRIBLE ELDERS OF THIS AREA -SHE HAS GONE INTO GREAt detail to make sure she is doing it correctly to HONOR THOSE WHO HAVE GONE OVER AND NOT LET OUR HISTORY DIE -MIIGWETCH SHADOW

steelemagnolia63 02-03-2009 10:24 PM

Good question though about would someone have given one of these items to a spouse??? Or would they have traded for it??

Most people don't think about what time period the items that they are putting together work together....or what tribe that they are wearing and what tribe they say that they are.... ie Northern Plains on a North Eastern Woodlands tribe....

TKMJ Productions 02-03-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 (Post 1263544)

Well Dorrie, I would never call you that behind your back. It's very rude!

Another opened door! :lol:

Glad you are thinking and not going for a fashion freak show. :thumbsup:

I'm no fashion expert, trust me! If it's not jeans and a tee shirt, I'm lost. To me, tennis shoes go with everything including a tux for a formal night out.

But I do know enough to make sure the proper research is done to make things right.

P.S. If I want to talk behind your back, I will ask you to turn around.

steelemagnolia63 02-03-2009 10:52 PM

lol... TK... I am no fashion plate... I tell everyone there comes a time in every woman's life where she goes for comfort... and I have attained the age where comfort is my main priority... but I am from the south so I might be comfy but I got my mascara on. (You never know who you might meet)...

I do my research, and I stick to what I know... I keep telling everyone that I am going pre-contact, but I don't think that I could stand to run around bare chested with only a woven hemp skirt on... I might get this pasty white skin red but it would surely be a painful red....

TKMJ Productions 02-03-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steelemagnolia63 (Post 1263558)
lol... TK... I am no fashion plate... I tell everyone there comes a time in every woman's life where she goes for comfort... and I have attained the age where comfort is my main priority... but I am from the south so I might be comfy but I got my mascara on. (You never know who you might meet)...

I do my research, and I stick to what I know... I keep telling everyone that I am going pre-contact, but I don't think that I could stand to run around bare chested with only a woven hemp skirt on... I might get this pasty white skin red but it would surely be a painful red....

Not a problem. To me formal means that my sox must match. :cool1:

I'm now into comfy as well. The toughest choice I make is if my jeans should be black or blue. My choice is dictated by which pair is at the top of the clean pile. If you pull out a pair from the middle, the whole pile could fall to the floor. Then you gotta pick them up. That's too much like work! :wink_smil

Joe's Dad 02-03-2009 11:25 PM

My stuff is period dated too. It's from the 1980's to now...and from Wal-mart! :laughing:

Colored yarn on my eagle feathers, titanium uprights, the traditional 35mm canisters for the cups, $1.99/yd cloth, Duro cement, etc..

Yeppers...I think I'm pretty period dated!!!:hysterica

SuzzeQ4 02-03-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions (Post 1263563)
Not a problem. To me formal means that my sox must match. :cool1:

I'm now into comfy as well. The toughest choice I make is if my jeans should be black or blue. My choice is dictated by which pair is at the top of the clean pile. If you pull out a pair from the middle, the whole pile could fall to the floor. Then you gotta pick them up. That's too much like work! :wink_smil

All my jeans are long enough to hide my un-matched socks and I sew my ribbon skirts as long for the same reason.

TKMJ Productions 02-03-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe's Dad (Post 1263565)
My stuff is period dated too. It's from the 1980's to now...and from Wal-mart! :laughing:

Colored yarn on my eagle feathers, titanium uprights, the traditional 35mm canisters for the cups, $1.99/yd cloth, Duro cement, etc..

Yeppers...I think I'm pretty period dated!!!:hysterica

Titanium uprights at Walmart????????

WHERE DID YOU FIND THEM IN THE STORE?????????
I found steel and aluminum but never titanium.

Kamama 02-03-2009 11:41 PM

You mean socks have to match???? No wonder I get wierd looks at pow wows, and here I thought it was my non-matching converse of lime green and hot pink LOL.

Joe's Dad 02-03-2009 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions (Post 1263569)
Titanium uprights at Walmart????????

WHERE DID YOU FIND THEM IN THE STORE?????????
I found steel and aluminum but never titanium.

Aisle 3! :lol:

SuzzeQ4 02-04-2009 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamama (Post 1263571)
You mean socks have to match???? No wonder I get wierd looks at pow wows, and here I thought it was my non-matching converse of lime green and hot pink LOL.

sounds like you and joe's dad are going for the same period dress:tounge_sm

steelemagnolia63 02-04-2009 03:31 PM

good grief now my sock have to match too..... this is just to much....

TKMJ Productions 02-04-2009 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamama (Post 1263571)

At least you have a matching pair at home!

Only you Jen can make a fashion statement like that!

The only person that looks weird at you is Danny. But thinking about it, Danny looks weird all the time!:lol:

Miss you guys! See ya soon!

wyo_rose 02-05-2009 12:10 PM

Geez, period stuff is good for reenactors or museums.

I think anybody with a pelt on their head would get weird looks.

The Hawaiian way of lineage is cool. ANYBODY with Hawaiian blood is Hawaiian - no matter how much.

When my cousin and I were in high school in town (mostly white students), she was always telling me, "Yeah, that person is Shoshone." And then would tell me who they were related to or descended from, even though they looked just as white as day.

So I tend to agree, anybody with ANY Indian blood is Indian. But there's a big difference between federally enrolled tribal members and others - whether it be unenrolled descendants, members of unrecognized tribes, and the ever-present grandchildren of those fertile 1/4 Cherokee princesses.

For those 1/8 bloods who powwow or whatever, are you honoring your 7 non-indian great-grandparents, just like you're trying to honor your 1 ndn great-grandparent?

I feel uncomfortable with ANYBODY powwowing when they don't know what they're doing. I wasn't brought up in it, and I don't try to get out there and pretend I'm a powwow dancer. My girls were brought up around powwows and could get back into if they so choose.

Anybody should be able to powwow if they want. Start going to powwows, meet some powwow people, find out the right things to do if you want to dance. Then WAIT and see if it's something you really are going to stick with or just a HOBBY.

There was a white priest here who lived and worked on the rez for a long time, got an outfit together, tried to go about things the right way, and danced at many powwows until his health failed. Who's going to go out there and tell him that he shouldn't be dancing???

usafdancer 02-05-2009 03:00 PM

Blood sisters

My sister and I share the same parrents. She has a flat profile and a darker complection. I on the other hand have fair skin. if we were standing next to eachother, I'm getting the impression you would ask her to join you and tell me to go home. We are both experienced dancers and understand our culture. Its rediculous you believe people should not be a part of our culture because of breading from so long ago. Just because you might not notice my heritage by looking doesn't mean its not there.

TKMJ Productions 02-05-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usafdancer (Post 1264018)
My sister and I share the same parrents. She has a flat profile and a darker complection. I on the other hand have fair skin. if we were standing next to eachother, I'm getting the impression you would ask her to join you and tell me to go home. We are both experienced dancers and understand our culture. Its rediculous you believe people should not be a part of our culture because of breading from so long ago. Just because you might not notice my heritage by looking doesn't mean its not there.

WoW!!! First post and not even a "hello". Just a slam dunk from the key.

That was exciting!!!!

By the way, Hello and welcome to the forum!

SpanishSteel 02-05-2009 05:28 PM

I really like this thread now -- it's such an interesting dialogue. Which is what UNDERSTANDING is all about!

Interesting comment about Hawaiians -- we were just thinking about this the other day.

There is a point, though, with sycamores who want to dance, where 'honoring the non-Indian half' would just look silly. I'd scarcely wear a Scottish regalia into an intertribal dance, let alone even attempt entering a pow-wow division. It would look crazy and out of place. Yes, it would be completely correct for and honor my heritage, and I certainly COULD do it in an intertribal, but can you imagine?!

There is a melding here. I am very careful to ALWAYS wear a shawl into the arbor, this is out of RESPECT, and also by learning and watching (not pretending to be a wannabe know-it-all, yeesh...). I would LOVE to dance with a regalia, either cloth or buckskin, including the requirements for the category, but would definitely NOT co-opt any tribe's imagery 'just because it looks pretty' (like a lot of uninformed whites), I'd put in things that are important or spiritual to ME. I hope that that would be OK, and someday I can do it.

But I certainly wouldn't attempt it until a) I go to a LOT more powwows and get more opinions, to see where it would be OK and where not, b) until I watch and learn steps, etc and c) do a lot of genuine research, not plastic-shaman BS (I am SO sorry this happens, it pisses me off because I am sad at the thought of automatically being considered like that simply because I'm white. As I've said before, particularly in California, we live and deal with a LOT of cultures on a daily basis, so I consider really sampling and learning about other peoples and customs to be an enrichment of my regular life.

Anyway I really like this dialogue, and I hope someday to meet many of you at CA powwows.

TKMJ Productions 02-05-2009 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpanishSteel (Post 1264099)
I really like this thread now -- it's such an interesting dialogue. Which is what UNDERSTANDING is all about!

Interesting comment about Hawaiians -- we were just thinking about this the other day.

Well if you do a little research, it is estimated that the full blood Hawaiians will cease to exhist after about 2050. The blood is being watered down fast.

What ya gonna do!

If the same trend continues here on the mainland as it does in Hawaii, (calculated per sensus over many years) The full blood Native American will cease to exhist somewhere around 2150. Just a bit less then 150 years from now.

Slowly "We Are" being reduced to a paragraph in a history book as I have said many times! Looking at written history, 100 years is nothing but a drop in a bucket!