Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By wardancer
  • 4 Post By wardancer
  • 1 Post By msNativegal
  • 2 Post By wardancer

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Dance for Choctaw Man? Dance for Choctaw Man?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2015, 01:00 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scale
Credits: 157.52
Savings: 0.00
Dance for Choctaw Man?

I'm wanting to get back into dancing at the Pow Wow. I did when I was really little my grandmother got me into it. I've got children that I'm wanting to teach my heritage to and its been a dream. BUT not sure what dance does a Choctaw man dance in? I know Choctaws are more of the social dancing and stomp dances. But I also know that there have been Choctaws in Pow Wow.
Please any help or any tips. Thanks so much!!
ACSooner80 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2015, 01:11 AM   #2
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 94,218.67
Savings: 1.00
Any style you want !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

ACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scaleACSooner80 is off the scale
Someone I know said I should go for Straight Dance.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Powwow is a small world.It's not "ceremony". It's not "religious". It's not "holy".
It is social. Pick any style you want......that interests you. Learn as much as you can about that style. If possible, talk to Elders about it. Don't get contest dollars in your eyes , have fun ! Good luck !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #5
Two Wolves

msNativegal is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 436.25
Smile I'm Choctaw and.....

Hi! I'm Choctaw myself from the Bayou Lacombe Band in Louisiana and yes, though most of our dances are social dances - even our war dances - you can dance non-traditional styles in the powwow arena. For instance, I'm a jingle dress dancer and though this style is traditionally Ojibwa, I honor my band and tribe by decorating my regalia in the traditional colors and symbols of the Chahtas. Now more contemporary styles use Asian fabrics and more sequined bright fabrics to stand out, but dancers still adorn them with their tribal symbols. You could do this too, whether you want to be a straight dancer, gourd, traditional or even fancy and grass. Imola!! {Good Luck!!}
DeafElderWoman likes this.
msNativegal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2015, 05:17 AM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Thank You msNativegal!!
I would like to talk to you more about traditions of Chahtas!! I'm still trying to figure out what style I want to dance. I would really like to Fancy Dance but don't have good knees! :(

Thank you Wardancer for the info.....what info do you have on ceremonies?
Old 09-23-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Me & Eyes are the best !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSooner80 View Post
Thank You msNativegal!!
I would like to talk to you more about traditions of Chahtas!! I'm still trying to figure out what style I want to dance. I would really like to Fancy Dance but don't have good knees! :(

Thank you Wardancer for the info.....what info do you have on ceremonies?
none
windanncer and gilisi like this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 09-28-2015, 03:39 AM   #8
Powwow Grandmother

DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
DeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond reputeDeafElderWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,566.41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACSooner80 View Post
I'm wanting to get back into dancing at the Pow Wow. I did when I was really little my grandmother got me into it. I've got children that I'm wanting to teach my heritage to and its been a dream. BUT not sure what dance does a Choctaw man dance in? I know Choctaws are more of the social dancing and stomp dances. But I also know that there have been Choctaws in Pow Wow.
Please any help or any tips. Thanks so much!!

Where do you live now? If you are not living near the Choctaw Nation or reservation, then you can dance any type of regalia to wear at the Powwow ground where you live or going to any Rez (reservation).

You need to go to the Choctaw reservation and talked with the Elders who can give you information about your Choctaw heritage including the regalia. Right now everyone dance in their traditional dances and can make regalia whatever they want to make or decorate for the Powwows.

Good luck and enjoy dancing in Powwows ground.

DeafElderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links