Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk Off beat dancers Off beat dancers

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
dad is on a distinguished road
Credits: 300.00
Savings: 0.00
Off beat dancers

well hello everone.. i just want to talk about off beat dancer.. why do they win? i been to powwows and there are really good dancer there but it seems that the off beat dancer win. i was wondering what is going though the judges head.. just wondering what you thought about this and maby you can tell me why????? PLEASE pick the better dancer...................
dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

rez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond repute
rez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond reputerez_hopper has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,553.83
Off beat dancers

Down here it's "Politics".

rez_hopper is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
conquistaDORA!

buckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 440.00
We (Crows) dance off beat and not a lot of people know that....we've even changed the way we dance for contest powwows because of the rules. I've seen people from up north, Canada, that dance "off beat" to Round dance songs and they say we dance to round dance songs on the wrong beat...

That person dancing off beat must've REALLY been jammin' to win over others that were "on beat" ;)
Old 04-20-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
you know... cuz its a beauty contest nowadays... who ever has the keenest outfit wins! there are some dope outfits out there but not sure the dancing compares. KWIM???

And then it always goes back to the age old item... the judges...
Old 04-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

sate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond reputesate_bo_hone has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Just my two cents.

Ive seen this happen a few times. However the ones who won were dancing the correct way, even though they were "off beat." When judging you have to know the different styles and which dancers dance a certain way, if you dont know...you have no business judging...lol!
Old 04-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
Jinglemama

Jinglemama07 is an unknown quantity at this point
dancers with the "best" outfit don't always win you can't always "win"
Jinglemama07 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Dancer

shawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 482.93
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad View Post
well hello everone.. i just want to talk about off beat dancer.. why do they win? i been to powwows and there are really good dancer there but it seems that the off beat dancer win. i was wondering what is going though the judges head.. just wondering what you thought about this and maby you can tell me why????? PLEASE pick the better dancer...................
Hmmm..... wondering if you're refering to the pw i just attened. Wasn't just 1 dancer who placed it was 2 that I noticed. Adult Dancers. And they weren't "supposed to dance that way", it wasn't their "tribal style". I don't need the answer cause I already know it. Politics and who's the flashiest. Who's cool with the most bling. Or who's the cutest kid. I often feel bad when I see a kid on beat the whole song, doing what they're supposed to do and the cute little one wins.
shawndaes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
alesandra

swbreez is a splendid one to beholdswbreez is a splendid one to beholdswbreez is a splendid one to beholdswbreez is a splendid one to beholdswbreez is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 619.10
When I think of off beat I actually think of no rhythm. So Crow style and the other up north peeps that round dance to the "off beat" are on beat but on the off beat. I really don't like it when dancers win that can't hear the beat and have no rhythm.
swbreez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #9
conquistaDORA!

buckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by sate_bo_hone View Post
Ive seen this happen a few times. However the ones who won were dancing the correct way, even though they were "off beat." When judging you have to know the different styles and which dancers dance a certain way, if you dont know...you have no business judging...lol!
I like that....well said! ;)
Old 04-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #10
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskin pantyhose View Post
I like that....well said! ;)

I'm with bux on this. It is important to know what you are judging. Some dancers dance the correct style and others dance powwow style.

There IS a difference.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

meskwaki08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Savings: 121.90
Sometimes it's not what you know, but WHO you know.
meskwaki08 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

zboy is an unknown quantity at this point
lol i can't stand dancers that can't keep in step...i'm a singer and when i get asked to judge thats the first thing i look for is who is in step with the song, because most of us singers know. i understand crow style is off beat i realize that and respect it, but as a dakota and knowing the the traditional style of dance men and women, it gets to me. if i notice a dancer that is off beat and can't get back on before the the first push up is over then i don't pay attention to them the rest of the song and they're z'd from my score sheet...all styles of dancing. if you can't keep in step with the songs we sing then just ask a singer and he'll will tell u and show u how. if ur a judge u need to know too.
zboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2009, 11:44 AM   #13
Addy's Mommy

~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 436.00
theres a difference between dancing on the other beat and just downright dancing on NO beat.
like swbreeze said about rhythm....you need to have rhythm!
Old 04-22-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

homi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond reputehomi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 590.93
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~ShanLyn~*~ View Post
theres a difference between dancing on the other beat and just downright dancing on NO beat.
like swbreeze said about rhythm....you need to have rhythm!
i agree. sometimes you see someone out there dancing away just fine then they try to do some fancy footwork and they s-l-o-w right down. then they go back to dancing just fine again. it's like for a bit there, they were on a time delay.
homi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM   #15
conquistaDORA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homi View Post
i agree. sometimes you see someone out there dancing away just fine then they try to do some fancy footwork and they s-l-o-w right down. then they go back to dancing just fine again. it's like for a bit there, they were on a time delay.

Good thing you smoke dancers don't have to worry about that one huh?! :P I'm still amazed at that style...love to watch ya'll dance!
Old 04-23-2009, 05:12 PM   #16
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
me too! I was going to say you have a nice outfit!
Old 04-23-2009, 06:12 PM   #17
its to cold up here

legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
legalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond reputelegalstraight has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 599.56
I will get right next to someone and start lookin' all around on the ground, even get out a flashlight if its night, when they finally ask if I am lookin for somethin my response is always the same "ya, that beat ya lost"

Seriously though, ya I have seen that slo-mo deal for fancy foot work and it looks weird.

What I can't understand is when northern traditionals are doing a sneak up, how can you tell if they are on beat? Mostly just looks like they are shivering.
legalstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #18
Absolute Low Life

ajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond reputeajibik has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,005.64
I guess what bugs me the most is off-beat singers. Now that can put the damper on a crowd any time.

ajibik is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #19
Contest Coordinator

Items Devil
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
ndnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond reputendnsooner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,417.91
its one thing to dance off beat when they are dancing at the same tempo, but its even more weird to watch someone dance off tempo. they seem to be off in there own little world, just dancing away to their own song. lol
ndnsooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-24-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
Dancer

shawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond reputeshawndaes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 482.93
I must say we have a male Tradish dancer from my area who dances off beat and off tempo but he looks cool. It somehow works for him and he places. Theres no way others could get away with it or make it look good. I'm not sure if thats his tribal style or not.
shawndaes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links