Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing Do u lend your dresses out? Do u lend your dresses out?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2003, 01:52 AM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
VIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Exclamation Do u lend your dresses out?

I started a similiar thread in the Fancy Shawl Forum. One of my cuz's has gotten her outfits literally taken from her by her own relations and by just doing someone a favor. Years ago I sold her a complete outfit , dress legins and moc's. One of her friendz was at a pw and her mom left her outfit at home. My cuz had an extra outfit with her and lent it to her. After the pw was over she went to retreive it and that gurl booked it outa there. I've seen another gurl wearing it the next year at the same pw. I told my cuz about it and she told me the gurl never returned it. My cuz has yet to see it. I have to know someone really well to lend out any of my dresses.Has anything like this happen to you?:Yell
VIP4life is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
Junior Dancer

peekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond repute
Hell no I dont lend my babies out.
I dont want to get my stuff back stretched out, seams torn, pieces missing, beadwork loose. . .
Hell no they want to dance that bad they can go ask someone else or get there own outfits.
Old 11-20-2003, 12:32 PM   #3
Riverwoman

Quote:
Originally posted by peekaboo
Hell no I dont lend my babies out.
I dont want to get my stuff back stretched out, seams torn, pieces missing, beadwork loose. . .
Hell no they want to dance that bad they can go ask someone else or get there own outfits.
I would have to second you on this one. It is your medicine in the dress, and I would feel funny havin someone else wear the regalia that was made for me, with both mine and the makers energy in it.
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2003, 12:44 PM   #4
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute
Nope not anymore I was brought up to not lend your stuff out but there was a time I used to and I got scolded by just about everyone in my family, my man plus members of his family! I never felt comfortable lending my stuff out anyways but I'm one who finds it hard to say "No" but if anyone asks again my answer is "No" and if they really want a dress I'll make them one but it's gonna cost em. I only trust my family now but am glad I didn't have to learn the hard way (stuff gettin stolen, ppl throwin bad medicine, or my stuff gettin damaged) My sister borrows my beadwork and stuff and I know I'll get it back in good shape.
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2003, 05:11 PM   #5
PowWows.com Addicts

~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Witchy, I hear ya on that one girl.

My homie-girl went through the same thing. She too has (in the past) had a hard time to say no. Especially when she has brought 3-4 outfits to the powwow, and her only way out is a straight up 'No'. Sometimes she knows someone is going to ask to borrow an outfit, so she'll just leave all her stuff @ her hotel room until the next session. Now though, since being burnt a few times...she doesn't shy away from saying "Hellllll No!" LOL *jokes*

For myself, I will lend a few odd things out. Not to just any random person though.

I find it wonderful for people who show their apprecation for being allowed to use my stuff. It doesn't necessarily have to be $, but that's always a bonus. LOL. It sure does feel great to be offered a wee big extra cash if they end up placing in their contest.
~*Oji_Flava*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2003, 06:20 PM   #6
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Oji_Flava
I find it wonderful for people who show their apprecation for being allowed to use my stuff. It doesn't necessarily have to be $, but that's always a bonus. LOL. It sure does feel great to be offered a wee big extra cash if they end up placing in their contest.
Yeah one of my friends borrowed a dress and slipped me some cash when she returned it I thought that was nice it was kind of unexpected out of the blue but nice. Then another borrowed a dress and won in it and I didn't get nothin(but I didn't expect anything till I've heard from some on the trail if you borrow someone's outfit and win then you give them a lil somethin) I dunno I just quit lending my stuff out so I won't catch hell from my family and finally I can say "Hell No!" LOL
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2003, 06:21 PM   #7
Senior Dancer

VIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond reputeVIP4life has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy I must be a door mat

Anytime I've lent my dresses out they've been lent out to dear friendz. Not just anybody. Many of my dresses no longer fit me. I beleave a dress should be worn rather than collect dust in my closet. The cones they are making these dayz are to cheap to recycle.Jinglegenie wears one of my old dresses that never fit me rite to begin with. It looks so much better on her than it ever did on me. I don't lend my things out to those that don't dance jingle to begin with. I'm not personally going to ask my best friend if I could wear her southern buckskin. It's just not rite.:Yell I don't even lend my dresses for switch dances. I'm just being a curious George.:Angel:
Old 11-20-2003, 06:26 PM   #8
PowWows.com Addicts

~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*Oji_Flava*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Straight up good points there WallFlower.

Has anyone ever been asked right outta the blue to borrow something, when they don't even know who they really are? LOL!
Old 11-20-2003, 06:27 PM   #9
PowWows.com Addicts

Damn...when am I gonna get outta my 'junior dancer' stage in pws.com!? I thought after 200 posts, I'd get abit of a change. LOL But then again, 200 aint all that compared to some peeps.
Old 11-20-2003, 07:13 PM   #10
Senior Dancer

Talking

I think u get them after 250. I'm still waiting to get my pw committee status and I'm at 700 already.:Angel:
Old 11-22-2003, 10:45 AM   #11
Swan Lake Ojibway

ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaywmn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 241.60
Seeing that I will be new to the pow wow trail this coming summer, I am going to make it a rule not to lend my outfit out. A lot of love, energy, thought, respect, and not to mention money, goes into putting together dresses, beadwork, etc. Why allow the possibility of someone, doesn't matter who it is, to disrespect something that precious?
ojibwaywmn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-22-2003, 12:01 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

MyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond reputeMyoStylez has a reputation beyond repute
Hey this sounds all too familiar.....I always use to lend out my dresses to my friends who really wanted to start dancing, so I thought being a good friend and all that I would lend them my whole outfit beadwork plumes and fan....everything....until one of them ...she started wearing my dress out in the rain ..running in the puddles with my beaded mocs...my favourite ones too!! When she returned them there was a big rip in the bottom of my moccs ...and my dress was ripped on the sleeves...!!! I was like Augh!!!!.
So I just stopped bringing my extra dresses and stuff to powwows where she showed up....and all together just started telling them no they cant borrow my stuff anymore. I learnt the hard way. ...but when i stop wearing a dress for a long time ..I just give them away to grls i think deserve them and who will respect them like I did.;)
MyoStylez is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2003, 02:36 AM   #13
Senior Dancer

Angry IN THE RAIN

Oh mi god ,that is so wrong. I'm surprized you weren't tempted to giver the beat down.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:20 AM   #14
Junior Dancer

ndnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond reputendnmba has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 140.00
Never to strangers and only to my family, if then.
ndnmba is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2003, 02:13 PM   #15

~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute~+~Heya~+~ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Oji_Flava

Has anyone ever been asked right outta the blue to borrow something, when they don't even know who they really are? LOL!
YES! Back in June my friend was braiding my hair when one of her cuz's comes up to and asks if she can borrow my outfit and some hanging plumes! I looked at my friend like "who the hell is this chickie?" She then told me it was her cuzzin from ND. I just straight up told her "NO!" Geez it was only my 3rd time wearing it!

I don't bout the rest of you ladies but I would never just go up to someone I've never seen or talked to b4 and ask them to use thier stuff!
~+~Heya~+~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2003, 02:51 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

sidsteppin_on_air is an unknown quantity at this point
i len out my outfits too someone i know. my friends let me were there outfits too!! if you have it then i say yea lend it to em only if you know em though.
sidsteppin_on_air is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-24-2003, 01:05 AM   #17
Junior Dancer

beefy_cheefy is an unknown quantity at this point
i would lend mine out...all i expect is respest for my things...plus people always loan me stuff so it works both ways...but its totallly different when it comes to my beadwork and feathers..
beefy_cheefy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-25-2003, 01:52 PM   #18

ndnkidz_5 has a spectacular aura about
We have five kids and they all dance, they are always out growing stuff so I bring EVERYTHING, hoping some thing will fit some one. If I have stuff that now one fits I usually give it to some one, or sell them when we are hard up for cash. But lots of times I lend stuff to my friends kidz, but only folks I know realy well. So far their still my friends...
ndnkidz_5 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2003, 12:00 PM   #19
N to the E to the S S A

ms. jingler will become famous soon enough
I only lend my stuff out to my family and my close friends who i consider my "sisters" but otherwise...I don't....it's not that i'm being mean or anything..but I want people to respect my stuff and to take care of it. I had someone borrow my beadwork that one time..and my moccassins came back all jacked up..it was kinda hurtful!...so now..it's just family..
Old 11-26-2003, 12:04 PM   #20
Teen Dancer

ABENEWA KWE is a glorious beacon of light
Thumbs down

i would never ... ever .... never lend my dresses out .... i do not think anyone should lend out a jingle dress! it has too much meaning to it ... my dresses were made especially for me by me and my sisters, i would never borrow someones regalia either... i personally don't think it is right .... but that is just my opinion..
"When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

ABENEWA KWE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links