Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing how do you correct someone? how do you correct someone?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 09:29 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
calicoquilts is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
how do you correct someone?

I recently attended a dance and during the evening session a woman was doing a jingle dress exhibition. Her dancing was wrong to say the least and the only dancer doing this exhibition. She was swaying her body at the beginning of the song that is what caught my attention. Someone came out and place money in front of her...to honor...I guess? So instead of dancing around the arena, she stayed in place by the money. She was kicking her legs out instead of dancing. Almost like a showgirl but not as high of a kick. The mc cheered her on. When she was done, she waved her fan to the crowd. It was an awful display of jingle dress dancing. During an intertribal I saw her doing the same kicking thing. What should have been done?
calicoquilts is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Well an Anishnawbe could certainly correct her, obviously she didn't get the proper permission, from the proper place or she would have been shown how to dance. I am guessing by what you described that this was not your community, and it probably was hers by the way people reacted...then likely the whole community is in the dark here. You could have asked her if she would like you to show her how to dance. This may or may not have gone over well. The problem is that people doing it "wrong", and I would say this of any style, are people who rushed into dancing not really caring about how things are done. The rest of us learn the teachins, the regalia and the dance. Sure there is always more to learn but we start off with a good amount of knowledge. Tricky situation for sure....what did you do?
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,915.95
Hey Suzzzzzzzz sounds to me like a can-can dancer from the 1930's! They did the kick!
Sad when someone does something and has no intention of learning the proper steps and just jumps in with a closed mind.

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Stand behind our troops or stand IN FRONT of them.
Tibiki Kinew is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
I are an aunt

native_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 503.00
Savings: 1.00
I honestly dont know what to say...WOW comes to mind...going to have to ponder this...ive done some correcting in my days even then its not been in public...when correcting its not a good thing to embarrass the dancer or to shame them in public...i mean even i have been corrected many times by elders, but it was just so they could pass on there knowledge so i guess when approaching some one make sure its done in a good way and let them know in the first place that you are an ojib and that the dress originated from your nation, then say your piece but at the same time don't discourage them but encourage them to investigate the teachings further, invite them up north here if you can. i usually do and have my gramma and aunts have a talk with them, the dancers usually have more respect for the dance after that and even more respect for the dresses they carry and themselves.

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb

Last edited by native_flutterby; 05-13-2009 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: typo! lol
native_flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #5
Miss Struggs

Strugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond reputeStrugganona has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 308.10
That's so cool that you invite them up to where you're from to learn ...Sometimes folks will tell someone that they're being inappropriate, but then won't really give them the direction to learn otherwise.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #6
We'll See....

kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
I can't even imagine a place in North America that would have a powwow where they would not know what a proper jingle dress dance looks like. But I guess there are some places....

I have no idea what I would have done. I am not Anishnawbe and not an "elder" yet. Maybe, give her a piece of paper with www .powwows .com written on it and ask her to please research the Jingle Dress Dance. If I did that at all, I would be discrete and then disappear.

Oh I just thought of another option. Maybe if you know an elder from that community, you might discuss it to see if they are willing to approach the crazy, no good, wannabe lady..... (jks)
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

calicoquilts is an unknown quantity at this point
I do believe she is a hobbyist. Her dress was not made properly being short with pants under it. Her hair was a bushy ponytail and she thought she was something....that was my impression. During an intertribal later, I saw her doing the same thing with the kicking and yes...can-can dancer was what I thought of when watching her dance. I went up to her and told her to watch my feet and started dancing old style jingle. She was not happy at all. She sat down. This dance was in Florida and needless to say most of the small traditional dances have crazy sightings. Thank you for the responses. It was so wrong to watch and the MC encouraged her. LOL
calicoquilts is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-13-2009, 10:31 PM   #8
AKA...Falling Leaves

steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
steelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond reputesteelemagnolia63 has a reputation beyond repute
some misguided cross between jingle and fancy shawl????

Life should not be measured by the number of things that we aquire on our journey but by the number of lives that we touch along that road.

I am a bridge on the red path between my ancestors and the future. I am a bridge between my white heritage and my native heritage. A bridge joins two sides together and provides a way to move on..... A.K. O'Pry-Reynolds
steelemagnolia63 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #9
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Tibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond reputeTibiki Kinew has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoquilts View Post
I do believe she is a hobbyist. Her dress was not made properly being short with pants under it. Her hair was a bushy ponytail and she thought she was something....that was my impression. During an intertribal later, I saw her doing the same thing with the kicking and yes...can-can dancer was what I thought of when watching her dance. I went up to her and told her to watch my feet and started dancing old style jingle. She was not happy at all. She sat down. This dance was in Florida and needless to say most of the small traditional dances have crazy sightings. Thank you for the responses. It was so wrong to watch and the MC encouraged her. LOL
I don't think I could laugh at this, I am glad that you showed her how to move her feet, but I guess head-up-her-azzz did not respect the teaching you gave. Sad day when a true dancer can be polite and go out of their way to teach something that means so much to them and see the negative reaction pasted on their face.
Maybe the MC wanted her to be ridiculed? Guess that backfired!

A dancer like you needs to remember that no one is perfect but we can try to be good at what we do and how we do it. The worst part in all of this is to try hard not to be judgemental!

It is the year of the bear, I am sharpening my claws and will no longer tollerate harrassment.

Born in Winnipeg raised in the Pikwakanagan, Deutschland was never home! Army brat that had no choice in a parents duties to home and country. I Too Serve our flag and work for the uniform.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:32 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Purty_mocs is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess it all depends on where the dancing was taking place. If it was up north in Ojbiway territory then it would be respectful to dance the proper style. If the powwow was traditional, yes that would be expected. But if it was a contest powwow, then that's a different story. In contest dancing, there is Traditional style and Contemporary Style dancing. When you go to the southern states, everything is contemporary style. (The dresses, the beadwork, the moc style and the songs.) it's hard to say what is improper when everyone is dancing that way. If you really feel that you need to say something, then the best approach would be to compliment them first on their beadwork, or dress, then explain your thoughts about her dancing. Otherwise, give her tabacco.
Purty_mocs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #11
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom View Post
I can't even imagine a place in North America that would have a powwow where they would not know what a proper jingle dress dance looks like. But I guess there are some places....

I have no idea what I would have done. I am not Anishnawbe and not an "elder" yet. Maybe, give her a piece of paper with www .powwows .com written on it and ask her to please research the Jingle Dress Dance. If I did that at all, I would be discrete and then disappear.

Oh I just thought of another option. Maybe if you know an elder from that community, you might discuss it to see if they are willing to approach the crazy, no good, wannabe lady..... (jks)
*laffs* The first time I saw a webcast of jingle dress dancing from far off (no I'm not naming the pw) a couple of years ago, I was almost rolling on the floor.

I'm FROM up-north and this didn't look like ANYTHING I'd ever seen before... kind of all hopping around energetically with lots of arm waving, both feet off the ground an' spinning in circles. The contestants (it was a competition pw) all looked NDN enough but they sure didn't dance like the ladies I'd seen from around home.
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicoquilts View Post
I... This dance was in Florida and needless to say most of the small traditional dances have crazy sightings.

calico,

Well this explains everything *L
Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #13
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
I guess the proper name would be "Avoiding the gators teeth"! As you stomp on it to get the gator subdued and you then run away! LOL wrong place for a jingle dance if you ask me!!!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:18 PM   #14
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
If you see the girl again you could ask her
"Who brought you into the circle?" That question would give her the hint, hopefully, that one doesn't just waltz into jingle dancing. (sorry, that slipped out!) Her answer could reveal a lot.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #15
The bear is out!

Items DevilTree
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czechy View Post
If you see the girl again you could ask her
"Who brought you into the circle?" That question would give her the hint, hopefully, that one doesn't just waltz into jingle dancing. (sorry, that slipped out!) Her answer could reveal a lot.
waltz eh,,, I can picture that a loincloth and paint on him and a summer skin dress on her, waltzing away to what,,, bach or beethoven!!!! Oh how powwows can grow, next room over the NDN version of the "can-can of paris"!

LOL now go ahead and make my day!

Sponsored Links