Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing New Dancer introducing her self with questions! New Dancer introducing her self with questions!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
2012Amy

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question New Dancer introducing her self with questions!

Hi everyone. My name is Amy and I'm in Ohio, I wanted to write a little about my self and about jingle dancing. I am partblood Oglala Lakota. Several months ago a vision came to me in a dream, in which an Elder woman appeared and said "you will dance for me", I later envisioned a jingle dress of blue and white broad cloth with silver jingles, kind of a "thundercloud" motif. I have been going to powwows for awhile now, observing, doing a lot of research on the origin of the dress etc. I'm 23 years old and I've never been a dancer before, what family I do have is not on the "red road" so to speak, so I kind of feel like I'm on my own here figuring these things out. I have a few questions and was hoping to find some guidence here amongst my fellow jingle dancers.

Like I said, I am Lakota, and Im going to dance Old Style, would it be inappropriate to dance with one feather on the left side, like I've heard/seen some Lakota Old Style Jinglers do?

And my last question. I've not found a lot of Natives in Ohio and I don't really have any family to do a ceremony for me for my first dance. Would it be appropriate for me to just go and dance with out any kind of special or ceremony for me?

Prayers to you all!
Amy

Last edited by 2012amy; 08-01-2008 at 09:42 AM..
2012amy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-26-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012amy View Post
Hi everyone. My name is Amy and I'm in Ohio, I wanted to write a little about my self and about jingle dancing. I am partblood Oglala Lakota. Several months ago a vision came to me in a dream, in which an Elder woman appeared and said "you will dance for me", I later envisioned a jingle dress of blue and white broad cloth with silver jingles, kind of a "thundercloud" motif. I have been going to powwows for awhile now, observing, doing a lot of research on the origin of the dress etc. My friend who lives in Wyoming surpised me with 100 jingles which really drove home the idea that I'm supposed to be doing this. I'm 23 years old and I've never been a dancer before, what family I do have is not on the "red road" so to speak, so I kind of feel like I'm on my own here figuring these things out. I have a few questions and was hoping to find some guidence here amongst my fellow jingle dancers.

Like I said, I am Lakota, and Im going to dance Old Style, would it be inappropriate to dance with one feather on the left side, like I've heard/seen some Lakota Old Style Jinglers do?

Next, I've been watching videos, and listening to a lot of music, but are there specific songs for jinglers that I will get to know? Or will the music be different at each powwow? What I'm asking is how will I know when to have both feet on the ground at the end of the song/drum beat?

The Old Style dress includes hair ties, earrings, a chocker or scarf, belt, moxs and leggings right? What about a purse, is that traditionally worn? I can't find any details on the purse or the meaning of the purse.

And my last question. I've not found a lot of Natives in Ohio and I don't really have any family to do a ceremony for me for my first dance. Would it be appropriate for me to just go and dance with out any kind of special or ceremony for me?

I know that was a lot, but any information you could share with me would be greatly apperciated, thanks for taking the time to read my story.

Prayers to you all!
Amy
myspace.com/2012amy

These questions should be answered by an elder, the person who taught you to dance or your family from South Dakota. Most importantly, this dress belongs to the Ojibwe.

Last edited by they_drag_him; 06-26-2008 at 08:49 PM..
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
2012Amy

2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold
Thanks for the advice
Old 06-27-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Start by STOPPING what you are doing in that first photo on your myspace page. If it isnt what I think it is, my apologies, but the plant on the shelf behind you makes me think it is what I think it is.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #5
2012Amy

Oh no you are misunderstood, that was my beloved Mogley, who passed away this year, that plant is called "Schefflera arboricola" a common house plant. Google Image it!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #6
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Then that is good to hear! Ill assume that the Cheech jokes are just jokes too.

Do you know what family you came from? Find them, find the old women, bring some food (just like the movies). That is if you want traditional values, anyone can sell you the dance for $10 and a pack of smokes.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Oh no you are misunderstood, that was my beloved Mogley, who passed away this year, that plant is called "Schefflera arboricola" a common house plant. Google Image it!
Ok, so you are not a pot smoker. I'd like to know which band of the Lakota claims you?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #8
2012Amy

I didn't think any one would care to know my whole life story! I am half Oglala Lakota from my mothers side. I was raised by foster parents because my mom was really messed up at the time and I don't know who my dad is but he is white. My mom was born in Pineridge but has been in Ohio her entire life. My great great grandfather was a man named Shoewater, her side of the families last name is Hutchison. I had a vision in a dream about this dance, and I've been obsessed with it ever since. I know I have a lot of questions, but I don't have any family to guide my way, and I would go to South Dakota and find the people that I know I need too, but I live on my own and I don't have the money to pay for that trip at the moment. I know the jingle dress dance is a healing dance, and thats exactly what I need and want to share. Exscuse me for bringing my questions here, I thought I could find some help, but I guess this is another dead end for me. Thank you for listening though...

Last edited by 2012amy; 08-01-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Old 06-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #9
Banned

Quote:
I didn't think any one would care to know my whole life story! I am half Oglala Lakota from my mothers side. I was raised by foster parents because my mom was really messed up at the time and I don't know who my dad is but he is white. My mom was born in Pineridge but has been in Ohio her entire life. My great great grandfather was a man named Shoewater, her side of the families last name is Hutchison. I don't know any of these people because I'd been in foster care. I only know the story of my grandfather Shoewater. I have recently been in contact with my mom, and like I said in the original post, she is not on the "red road" to teach me anything. I had a vision in a dream about this dance, and I've been obsessed with it ever since. I know I have a lot of questions, but I don't have any family to guide my way, and I would go to South Dakota and find the people that I know I need too, but I live on my own and I don't have the money to pay for that trip at the moment. I know the jingle dress dance is a healing dance, and thats exactly what I need and want to share. Exscuse me for bringing my questions here, I thought I could find some help, but I guess this is another dead end for me. Thank you for listening though...
You want instant gratification? You haven't even given us a chance to help you.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
2012Amy

No, I certainly don't want instant gratification. If I've learned anything in life, its that nothing worth having comes with out HARD work! I apologize for coming off like that, it just feels like I'm being scrutenized here.

I'm just trying to make some friends.. and maybe learn a thing or two
Old 06-27-2008, 10:38 PM   #11
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
No, I certainly don't want instant gratification. If I've learned anything in life, its that nothing worth having comes with out HARD work! I apologize for coming off like that, it just feels like I'm being scrutinized here.

I'm just trying to make some friends.. and maybe learn a thing or two
Many come on here to ask questions and have similar stories
they ask there questions and not get the answers they want to hear and poof we never see them again.
All this takes time

As with meeting somebody in real life
You sit down and talk, get to know them, then ask some questions. You will not get all the answers you want on the first meeting

So
When people ask you questions here they are merely getting a feel where you come from, Its not an interrogation but in a short time they will have a understanding where you are in this...

I suggest you go onto the Jingle Forum in this website and READ, just read....
It is possible that alot of your questions could be answered and certainly the knowledge would not hurt because then you could ask more informed questions...
Old 06-27-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
Pow Wow Visitor

MrsArapahoSparkz has a spectacular aura about
Hey derr

:

Hi Amy....From reading this I was kind of shocked. From the start you (amy) said that you didn't know much and apoligized in advance very humbally. I think that everyone made a mistake because they assumed and judged before they wrote and now some are starting to justify it already because they know they were quick to judge. I think that it is shameful to not have love and patience in your hearts for any child brought up in foster care without family ties, especially our native brothers and sisters who have had their chance at learning important things taken away from them......I understand that she said some silly or uneducated things, but really she was doin what she could to ask before just dancing and expressing the motivation to dance from the heart & thats cool to me.........PM me gurl & I'd be glad to try an help ya, and if I don't know ur answer, I will ask around me & mah hubby's family till we can help ya out as much as we can............
Old 06-28-2008, 07:50 AM   #13
2012Amy

Josiah-Thank you for your time. I have read EVERY post in the jingle forum, and did not see anwsers to my questions, thats why I started a new thread! As for meeting someone in "real life", as I have previously stated, I've yet to meet any one that could sit and help me with my questions, thats why I'm here. Would you suggest I wait to dance until I can afford to make that trip to South Dakota for the guidance?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #14
2012Amy

Mrs.Arapaho!!! Thank you so much for your encouraging words! I really apperciated your comment! I understand why people can be judgemental, these are sacred things not to be taken lightly and people do not want to be exploited, but that is the LAST thing I am here to do. Thank you for the help in advance, I will be PMing you!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Hello all.

Firstly, NO ONE who replied was judgemental. I read each post here and I did not get that at all. But I will certainly say this. "When a person is quick to say ppl are being judgemental, is that not being judgemental also?"

In any event, I agree with the person who said others are just trying to get a feel for what is stated here. The dynamics are different when one is on a computer trying to explain as opposed to sitting and actually physically visiting and sharing.

Further, I will also agree with the ones who suggested for you to go to your people, offer elders a gift, ask your questions, and listen and learn. When one truly is meant to dance, there is a huge learning curve that comes along with that. It takes time.

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2008, 08:16 AM   #16
2012Amy

Time I have Ojibwaysweetie!
Old 06-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #17
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
That's great then.
It takes time to travel to your home rez. Takes time to take them offerings to your elder ppl. Takes time to watch, to listen and to learn.

Old 06-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

MrsArapahoSparkz has a spectacular aura about
I can understand that on Ojibway woman would be more protective of the Jingle dress and I respect that. And if I am being called judgemental, that is something that I will think about, because thats the last thing I would like to be remembered as. I saw a young lady who was sincerely reaching out and got a lot of grief over her myspace, and the way she was asking the questions, nonrelevant things. I stand by that I think it was unnessary and my heart told me to stick up for her. I don't think the beginning comments here represent the way dancing is supposed to be: help keep our community ties better and be thinking about your people when you dance. And that includes our people who can't dance anymore, or who have or are facing current hardships, as Amy has shared with us.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #19
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsArapahoSparkz View Post
I can understand that on Ojibway woman would be more protective of the Jingle dress and I respect that. And if I am being called judgemental, that is something that I will think about, because thats the last thing I would like to be remembered as. I saw a young lady who was sincerely reaching out and got a lot of grief over her myspace, and the way she was asking the questions, nonrelevant things. I stand by that I think it was unnessary and my heart told me to stick up for her. I don't think the beginning comments here represent the way dancing is supposed to be: help keep our community ties better and be thinking about your people when you dance. And that includes our people who can't dance anymore, or who have or are facing current hardships, as Amy has shared with us.

Yes, and please remember she also got replies that come from hearts of people here.

Last edited by ojibwaysweetie; 06-29-2008 at 08:02 AM..
Old 06-29-2008, 10:59 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsArapahoSparkz View Post

There is protocol and then there is non-relevant issues here. Which are you, the non-relevant? What you think and what is the fact are two totally opposites going on. You can judge and point fingers but the fact is, you are new here. I count 8 posts coming from you and not once did we chastise Amy.
Sponsored Links