Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing New Dancer introducing her self with questions! New Dancer introducing her self with questions!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 12:27 PM   #21
Head Dancer

Items Cake
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
Amy--I agree with much of the people on here. You need to find your family and/or Elders to help you with this issue. That is not something for someone you have never met to be answering for you. To openly ask on the internet is actually asking for trouble in many cases. The questions that you have asked and what you are asking about is something that is done face to face and by your "Elders".

I personally think that you should find your family from Pineridge and talk to them. Let them know who you are and who you come through, this will not be an overnight thing, but it sure will be well worth your time.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #22
Pow Wow Visitor

MrsArapahoSparkz has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by they_drag_him View Post
There is protocol and then there is non-relevant issues here. Which are you, the non-relevant? What you think and what is the fact are two totally opposites going on. You can judge and point fingers but the fact is, you are new here. I count 8 posts coming from you and not once did we chastise Amy.

HAHA I'm not new here at all...its a new login, I barely come on here because this site is full of wannabeez an people who "know" everything(amongst some great people), But I'm SO glad we ndns have people like you to count posts, check profile links for potential offenses for grounds for exile, investigate and interrogate us apples.....gawsh I wasn't calling anyone out but since you replied to me, I will say you were the " Chief " investigator you stay on it buddy lmao........

*This is silly to argue, Amy is getting some good advice and help now, especially from an Ojibway women so lets let her handle it, huh?? Except maybe if someone from pine ridge sees this, maybe they can help her with her trip...I couldn't imagine just goin to ur rez if u have never been there, looking really mixed & askin a bunch of questions the first time people have seen you, that would be pretty intimidating...maybe she can network here to make that trip with another dancer or supportive native, that would be excellent....but, like others have said, that would take time........I bet some nice SD folks can keep her in mind or pm her to get to know her to help her make her trip home happen sometime ;) *
Old 06-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #23
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsArapahoSparkz View Post
HAHA I'm not new here at all...its a new login, I barely come on here because this site is full of wannabeez an people who "know" everything(amongst some great people), But I'm SO glad we ndns have people like you to count posts, check profile links for potential offenses for grounds for exile, investigate and interrogate us apples.....gawsh I wasn't calling anyone out but since you replied to me, I will say you were the " Chief " investigator you stay on it buddy lmao........

*This is silly to argue, Amy is getting some good advice and help now, especially from an Ojibway women so lets let her handle it, huh?? Except maybe if someone from pine ridge sees this, maybe they can help her with her trip...I couldn't imagine just goin to ur rez if u have never been there, looking really mixed & askin a bunch of questions the first time people have seen you, that would be pretty intimidating...maybe she can network here to make that trip with another dancer or supportive native, that would be excellent....but, like others have said, that would take time........I bet some nice SD folks can keep her in mind or pm her to get to know her to help her make her trip home happen sometime ;) *

Some advice from this network. lol.

We need to back up and start from the very beginning. Amy came here, asked for some advice, and she got some good advice from good people here.

Those nice folks from SD may keep her in mind, that is true. However, Amy has to pray from her heart and soul to ask for guidance in all of this. That is where it all 'starts' to happen. A spiritual person will believe in the outcome of prayers, and believes in meant-to-be's and prayer is where that spiritual connection begins.

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #24
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I will say you were the " Chief " investigator you stay on it buddy lmao........

Just call me the akicita who was dragged on his head.
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #25
2012Amy

2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold
Ojibway, your absolutely right. I am praying from my heart and I believe if this is meant to happen, it will happen, and I understand it does and will take time. Thank you for the kind words.
This has been a good forum for me to learn, and I have met some great people who have really helped me out!
2012amy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2008, 05:53 PM   #26
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Just call me the akicita who was dragged on his head.

I can't tell yet if you are just quite strange humored or....idk... buh I wouldn't be calling you a warrior until u prove it haha make a youtube video of yourself doin somethin warrior-like than maybe lol......betcha didn't think i knew what u were talkin bout', tho?? gotcha! now u gotta speak some hinono' eitiit 2 me next
Old 07-01-2008, 12:08 AM   #27
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I can't tell yet if you are just quite strange humored or....idk... buh I wouldn't be calling you a warrior until u prove it haha make a youtube video of yourself doin somethin warrior-like than maybe lol......betcha didn't think i knew what u were talkin bout', tho?? gotcha! now u gotta speak some hinono' eitiit 2 me next
I've got 14 nephews and nieces who have to be kept after. I do my best and Amy will do just fine.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:18 AM   #28
Banned

Quote:
Of course you know, you're Arapaho, an ally but even more. Your people, including you are more than welcome in our homes. I have numerous nephews and nieces to watch out for including grandchildren in the Dakota way. I can herd them onto youtube for you but that would put them in danger.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:19 AM   #29
Teen Dancer

Kaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant futureKaina1128 has a brilliant future
Credits: 4,123.81
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
Amy--I agree with much of the people on here. You need to find your family and/or Elders to help you with this issue. That is not something for someone you have never met to be answering for you. To openly ask on the internet is actually asking for trouble in many cases. The questions that you have asked and what you are asking about is something that is done face to face and by your "Elders".

I personally think that you should find your family from Pineridge and talk to them. Let them know who you are and who you come through, this will not be an overnight thing, but it sure will be well worth your time.
I also agree. Maybe you were sent that dream so that you could not only become a dancer, but so that you could start re-familiarizing yourself with your people. It sounds like your family has become a little disconnected (I can relate). Getting to know your relatives and elders on Pine Ridge will help you learn your traditions and will help you find people who can introduce you into the arena properly. We aren't telling you to take this time or to do things this way because it is specific to dancing in a jingle dress, these things are expected of all dancers. However, for someone who wears a jingle dress or grass dances, the added tradition and responsibility of healing is important to understand and respect. You seem like you are willing to take the time and make the sacrifices.

First, go home.

...now this is what I like to see. Someone who figures out what they need to do and is earnest about it BEFORE entering the arena...
Kaina1128 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2008, 07:02 AM   #30
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Exactly.

I've seen people come on here and ask questions, and then leaving here thinking they know it all because they've received some advice or a baby toenail amount of knowledge. lol. It' not supposed to be dat way. Speaking with your own people, taking into consideration what they say, watching other jingle dress dancers, learning the steps, the proper songs, making the dress, mocs, etc. takes lots of time and good thoughts and prayers. One step at a time.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:04 AM   #31
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Of course you know, you're Arapaho, an ally but even more. Your people, including you are more than welcome in our homes. I have numerous nephews and nieces to watch out for including grandchildren in the Dakota way. I can herd them onto youtube for you but that would put them in danger.
Thank you & we feel the same way about welcoming our allies; I guess that was why I was a bit overprotective about Amy...living in the city we come across alot of displaced natives and its hard for them in a different way than the rez.......BTW I was just kiddin about tha youtube thingy, I wouldn't do that either, yikes!!! Well glad I'm getting your humor now & maybe we will see you or a relative at Denver March?? Do you go ever? I've never gone to SD, buh my Dad wants to take me there...its a special place with intense memories for him..pm me if you would like to talk more about that...maybe we could stop by whenever he takes me out there...haha ya invite an ndn over an next thing its like, "knock, knock" haha....Hohou ~K

Last edited by MrsArapahoSparkz; 07-02-2008 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: forgot to say something....
MrsArapahoSparkz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-03-2008, 12:14 PM   #32
2012Amy

2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold
I've gotten a lot of good information here, thank you!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:37 PM   #33
I are an aunt

native_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 503.00
geez i go away for a week and you guys start a fightin...ok heres my two cents i mean since the floor is still open yes the dress is originaly Ojibwe, yes it is a healing dress. The way i see it dreams are meant to be acted upon but not in haste. i mean 100 jingles are not really enough for a dress maybe a row and a quarter or a row and a half...but thats not the point. i think its a spring board so to speak. my mother and i have been traveling alot more and have been coming across alot of people who have asked us many of these same questions and for some reason it seems to be more of my mother they ask, i'm just her driver. she is a keeper of alot of our old ways, the instructions shes recieved from her grand parents and great grand parents are still alive within her brain and she keeps it there til some one asks the right questions. if you dont mind adding me to myspace you can and i will see what i can do and maybe somewhere down the road of this crazy life of mine. all i can say for now is keep that dream in mind and keep it alive, dont let anyone tell you that you cant do it. as long as you go about it in a good way and maintain it in a good way you will find what you need.

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb
native_flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #34
Pow Wow Visitor

all i can say for now is keep that dream in mind and keep it alive, dont let anyone tell you that you cant do it. as long as you go about it in a good way and maintain it in a good way you will find what you need.

^^^^ I agree w/ ya.....imma add ya 2 on tha myspace tip if thatz cooo....
Old 07-08-2008, 02:00 PM   #35
I are an aunt

native_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond reputenative_flutterby has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 503.00
yeah sure go for it lol

http://www.myspace.com/anty_tweeb
native_flutterby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #36
2012Amy

Hi

Hi flutterby, thanks for the encouraging words. I will add you on the space, hopefully we can talk a little when you have the time.
I will not give up on my dream. That is why I am exploring different venues of information. I have been lucky enough to find some very helpful people here.
I have sense acquired more jingles for my dress, I have over two hundred now, but I am taking my time because I realize I have more to learn before stepping into the circle.
This has been a fantastic journey for me. I truly believe that everything happens in life for a reason, this dream has come to me for a reason and I plan to persue it with my full and humble heart.
When I orginally started researching the dance, I wasn't fully aware of the life style of the Jingle Dancer. I am now making these connections in my personal life, almost like things are making sense to me now!
Im rambling on.. forgive me! I'm really excited to be a part of this, thank you again every one for your support. You'll see me out there!
Oh and I'm getting things together for my giveaway, I've decided to do a private giveaway and will defintly take me some time to get everything together on that as well. So I won't be doing my coming out until the end of the season or even the begining of next season. I don't want to rush this and there are still people I need to see before stepping into the circle.
Hope every one is doing good! Have a good week!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #37
Lila Ma was'te na lila co

ballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond repute
ballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 162.60
ok... seeing as how i'm born and raised here in *ahem* Gods country (pine ridge) i'll put my 2 cents in!

We are taught to know our family here. So i think thats something you should definately look into! Find out who your grand parents are first and foremost! Thats something you will be asked by us Oglala Lakotas (i'm sure the other bands will question and ask the same thing) but it's IMPORTANT!

I can only speak for myself but i flinch a little when i hear people say they are *Lakota* and say they are from pine ridge but don't really know who there family is!

You grew up in a foster home but you know who your mother is... whether she is on the red road or not... sit her down and get her 2 tell you about her parents and her grand parents and about your family! if that doesnt work... i can get you the number to the enrollment office and you can track down your family that way!

There are plenty of good people (elders) here who know who's related to who and how. and i know they are more than willing to sit down and tell you (trust me)...

also it would be nice if an elder or someone from the powwow circle introduced you to the circle. it doesnt' have 2 be big or fancy... but someone who is knowledgeable in your style of dance to sit you down and tell you what's expected!

uhmm.. that's all i can think of for right now...

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol
ballin_n_shawlin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM   #38
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin_n_shawlin View Post
ok... seeing as how i'm born and raised here in *ahem* Gods country (pine ridge) i'll put my 2 cents in!

We are taught to know our family here. So i think thats something you should definately look into! Find out who your grand parents are first and foremost! Thats something you will be asked by us Oglala Lakotas (i'm sure the other bands will question and ask the same thing) but it's IMPORTANT!

I can only speak for myself but i flinch a little when i hear people say they are *Lakota* and say they are from pine ridge but don't really know who there family is!

You grew up in a foster home but you know who your mother is... whether she is on the red road or not... sit her down and get her 2 tell you about her parents and her grand parents and about your family! if that doesnt work... i can get you the number to the enrollment office and you can track down your family that way!

There are plenty of good people (elders) here who know who's related to who and how. and i know they are more than willing to sit down and tell you (trust me)...

also it would be nice if an elder or someone from the powwow circle introduced you to the circle. it doesnt' have 2 be big or fancy... but someone who is knowledgeable in your style of dance to sit you down and tell you what's expected!

uhmm.. that's all i can think of for right now...
A most excellent response!! Thank you, shawlin'.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 PM   #39
2012Amy

Thank you for the advice! If I could get that phone number off you, I would be very grateful shawlin
Old 07-31-2008, 03:04 AM   #40
Fancy Dancer at heart

edmontonnativemommy is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Amy,

I am sorry i have no advice for you but thought i would wish you well on your journey. My names Mariah and im a Cree/Dene from Alberta Canada.

I agree with some of the women on here that there is alot to learn and way too much to answer your questions over the net.

I was raised by my grandmother and in our way... when i wanted to start dancing i had to go through ceremonies and learn alot before obtaining my regalia.

I wish you well on your journey and offer you a hand of friendship :)
edmontonnativemommy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links