Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Jingle Dancing New Dancer introducing her self with questions! New Dancer introducing her self with questions!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 10:04 AM   #41
Banned

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmontonnativemommy View Post
Hello Amy,

I am sorry i have no advice for you but thought i would wish you well on your journey. My names Mariah and im a Cree/Dene from Alberta Canada.

I agree with some of the women on here that there is alot to learn and way too much to answer your questions over the net.

I was raised by my grandmother and in our way... when i wanted to start dancing i had to go through ceremonies and learn alot before obtaining my regalia.

I wish you well on your journey and offer you a hand of friendship :)
Shoot! It would've taken me 2,000 posts to write so well as you. Good post. Welcome and hello.
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #42
Fancy Dancer at heart

edmontonnativemommy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by they_drag_him View Post
Shoot! It would've taken me 2,000 posts to write so well as you. Good post. Welcome and hello.
haha! Well thank you and thank you for your welcome.
edmontonnativemommy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #43
Pow Wow Visitor

n8tivelove has much to be proud ofn8tivelove has much to be proud ofn8tivelove has much to be proud ofn8tivelove has much to be proud ofn8tivelove has much to be proud ofn8tivelove has much to be proud ofn8tivelove has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Way to go Ballin N Shawlin, YOu know your my girl!! :L:L Im also from Pine Ridge, born and raised, and I agree with this one!! You should call our enrollment office and find out who your family is around here! Everyone knows everyone here on our rez! Its nice to see those that were lost are finding their way home again! But I think its the strong blood ties in all natives that always brings our members home again no matter where they were raised!! I believe you have to find out who you are, before you can move on in your own path of life! I can ask around from my own unci's if they know who your family is, but what is your mother's maiden name? Im sure someone here would have to know her! And I say its best to ask some elderly about the jingle dress and dance! Find out more about it, and if you want to be introduced into the dance circle then, so be it....but if its in your heart to dance, then I believe no one can stop you! So put your 100 jingle count dress on and pow wow!!

~N8tivelove~
n8tivelove is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2008, 12:29 AM   #44
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Good words. I'm happy there are our sisters here from Pine Ridge rez who are willing to help.

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #45
2012Amy

2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold
Wink

thank you for the support, its been great hearing from the sisters at pine ridge, i will look into it since shawlin gave me the number. My mom's maiden name is Hutchison.
It is in my heart to dance but at the same time I want to do it right! And patience is a virtue! Should my first dress have 100 jingles or is that Lakota style? I've never made a dress before, Im practicing on a dress now and I have over two hundred jingles but i've not made it as far as sewing them on

thank you for your friendship edmonton!!

Hope every one has a happy and safe weekend. My spirit was kind of shaken last night, I live in a rough neighborhood and witnessed a fatal shooting.. having trouble shaking it out of my mind. Any support you could send my way would be grateful.

Thank you

"if its in your heart to dance, then I believe no one can stop you! So put your 100 jingle count dress on and pow wow!!" I love that!!!!
2012amy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #46
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Well, it is well worth digging into. I know if I was in a situation where I could not go further with my roots, I'd do everything I could in my power to find my relations. Travel, meet elders, talk to them and ask lotsa questions. Come heck or high water, I'd find my family roots.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:14 AM   #47
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie View Post
Well, it is well worth digging into. I know if I was in a situation where I could not go further with my roots, I'd do everything I could in my power to find my relations. Travel, meet elders, talk to them and ask lotsa questions. Come heck or high water, I'd find my family roots.
Shoot! If I had no family, I'd be in shock and depression 24 hrs a day. Amy will need a lot of help.
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 AM   #48
2012Amy

2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold2012amy is a splendid one to behold
well i get by but would be great to have some family
Old 08-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #49
Lila Ma was'te na lila co

ballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond repute
ballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond reputeballin_n_shawlin has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 162.60
Savings: 1.00
Quote:

just to emphasize how important it is to us as oglala lakota people (as i'm sure it is with other tribes too) i have 2 stories :p

~1~ i was hired as the Office manager for the DOT here for one of the programs... so i had my "office voice" you know.. really proper with a smile going and i was all proud! This older man came in looking for the foreman so i said he was out of hte office in the field and asked if he'd like 2 leave a message..... he said "Nope! but i'd like to know who YOU are!"

so i stuck out my hand 2 shake his and in my best "professional office voice" said "i'm Jesse, i'm the office manager for this program, nice to meet you!" he just looked at me really weird and said.....

"well goddamn it that don't tell me a goddamn thing!! i asked who the hell you were!!!"

i stuttered then remembered my place... n told him who i was, my mother and father, n who my paternal n maternal grand parents were, n where my family was from!!

he smiled n said that's more like it!! then told me some history about my family n how he knows them... he didn't know me personally but he knew my great grandma.. now we visit and he tells me stories.. and once in a while he'll tease me about that day lol...

the 2nd story is when i had 2 be on the local radio station and talk about highway safety. I introduced my self n lakota n told my lakota name n who my family was n where we were from and then translated... then proceeded to talk about Highway safety stuff...

some people to this day will approach me and tell me that it was good 2 hear someone my age introduce myself like that n remember who my family is! because it's IMPORTANT!

You can't double team a Triple Threat

The Black Hills are NOT for sale

ps. i'm still the greatest~n i'm prettylol
ballin_n_shawlin is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #50
Jingling mommy....

cherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 451.00
Hey, I don't think I ever responded to this post! You'll be fine. We'll get your stuff done and don't let anyone discourage you. This weekend you'll meet some wonderful people that can help you a lot during your search. Trust me, they've done wonders for me. And you know I will help you however I can in bringing your dress into the circle the right way and your giveaway. I'll see you Saturday!
cherokeemom06 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #51
Pow Wow Visitor

MrsArapahoSparkz has a spectacular aura about
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeemom06 View Post
Hey, I don't think I ever responded to this post! You'll be fine. We'll get your stuff done and don't let anyone discourage you. This weekend you'll meet some wonderful people that can help you a lot during your search. Trust me, they've done wonders for me. And you know I will help you however I can in bringing your dress into the circle the right way and your giveaway. I'll see you Saturday!
^^^^^ Wow, how nice!! I am encouraged and pleased by how this thread has evolved with the exception here & there... haha ya alwayz gotta have someone sayin how THEY would do it or plain braggin on themselves or it wouldn't be todays ndnz, now would it?? I think itz most tradish to truly help out (pm her & offer specific suggestions, maybe) or just give best wishes if you can't be of any assistance!!! Offering to help her w/ her giveaway iz very cool...pm me cherokeemom if u think I can help you out somehow w/ her giveaway..i don't have much $$$ right now buh maybe we can brainstorm something I could do to make that easier for you
Old 08-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #52
Jingling mommy....

cherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond reputecherokeemom06 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsArapahoSparkz View Post
^^^^^ Wow, how nice!! I am encouraged and pleased by how this thread has evolved with the exception here & there... haha ya alwayz gotta have someone sayin how THEY would do it or plain braggin on themselves or it wouldn't be todays ndnz, now would it?? I think itz most tradish to truly help out (pm her & offer specific suggestions, maybe) or just give best wishes if you can't be of any assistance!!! Offering to help her w/ her giveaway iz very cool...pm me cherokeemom if u think I can help you out somehow w/ her giveaway..i don't have much $$$ right now buh maybe we can brainstorm something I could do to make that easier for you
I just PMed you. Wado for the offer to help out!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:04 PM   #53
Fancy Shawl Dancer

Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 368.00
Hi Amy,
Looks like I will get to meet both you and Cherokeemom this weekend. I'm not a jingler, but, always try to support those that do jingle. I've got to hand it to you ladies, its good to know there are people out there constantly praying for those who need it. God bless, and see you guys this weekend. I'll be the shawler in sparkly red white and blue :)
Old 08-05-2008, 11:07 PM   #54
Jingling mommy....

Hiya Jen, Amy is camping with us so yeah you'll get to meet both of us!
Old 08-06-2008, 12:05 AM   #55
Fancy Shawl Dancer

Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Kamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond reputeKamama has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 368.00
right on, Im looking forward to it. Im not sure when exactly we'll be pulling in on Friday, but, we'll be there :)
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 AM   #56
Fancy Dancer at heart

edmontonnativemommy is an unknown quantity at this point
If your ever heading up my way to Alberta Canada for a Pow Wow let me know to keep an eye out for ya
edmontonnativemommy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-06-2008, 12:20 AM   #57
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballin_n_shawlin View Post
just to emphasize how important it is to us as oglala lakota people (as i'm sure it is with other tribes too) i have 2 stories :p

~1~ i was hired as the Office manager for the DOT here for one of the programs... so i had my "office voice" you know.. really proper with a smile going and i was all proud! This older man came in looking for the foreman so i said he was out of hte office in the field and asked if he'd like 2 leave a message..... he said "Nope! but i'd like to know who YOU are!"

so i stuck out my hand 2 shake his and in my best "professional office voice" said "i'm Jesse, i'm the office manager for this program, nice to meet you!" he just looked at me really weird and said.....

"well goddamn it that don't tell me a goddamn thing!! i asked who the hell you were!!!"

i stuttered then remembered my place... n told him who i was, my mother and father, n who my paternal n maternal grand parents were, n where my family was from!!

he smiled n said that's more like it!! then told me some history about my family n how he knows them... he didn't know me personally but he knew my great grandma.. now we visit and he tells me stories.. and once in a while he'll tease me about that day lol...

the 2nd story is when i had 2 be on the local radio station and talk about highway safety. I introduced my self n lakota n told my lakota name n who my family was n where we were from and then translated... then proceeded to talk about Highway safety stuff...

some people to this day will approach me and tell me that it was good 2 hear someone my age introduce myself like that n remember who my family is! because it's IMPORTANT!

LMAO @ story #1!!!! Ol' folks have a way with words huh? hahaha Man that made my day. THAT was AWESOME.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #58
PowWows.com Addicts

So did Cherokeemom and Kamama meet?

Let us know....post some pics!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:55 AM   #59
Jingling mommy....

Quote:
So did Cherokeemom and Kamama meet?

Let us know....post some pics!
We're meeting up this weekend to discuss my special since her boyfriend is the emcee for the powwow I'm doing my special at. I need to get some pics up from the Waterford, OH powwow a couple of weeks ago. I've got some great ones of Kamama.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #60
2012Amy

thank you

you guys have been great thank you so much for the support!
Sponsored Links