Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork choker & drop choker & drop

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
Jingle Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question choker & drop

Hey there, I'm working on some new beadwork, and I'm about to start on my choker and drop. There's just one thing, how do you attatch the drop to the choker, and what do you attatch it with? Its heavy, and I don't want it to come off, obviously, lol. Any suggestions would help a bunch!

Thanks!
Kim

MizzQaqimat's Space
~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2004, 09:54 AM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

hockeyfan_019 is on a distinguished road
It's been a long time, but as I remember it was not difficult. I suppose it depends on the style you are doing (even number of sections, dropping from a spacer or from between beads, what materials are in your drop, etc, etc.

For my last one if I recall, it was an even number of sections (8) so the drop hung down from a joint section between the hairpipes. In this section, the sequence was hairpipe, bead, bead, leather spacer, bead, bead, hairpipe... The drop was made from an abalone disk drilled with 2 holes through the middle (like a button), 2 more short hairpipes, 2 tincones, and some horsehair.

I used waxed cord for the stringing, and for the drop. I threaded the cord through one of the spacer holes (it was a 3-row, so I used the center spacer hole). Then put both ends of the cord through both holes of the "button", both cords through the hairpipes, both cords through the tincones, and then finally tie a "bundle" of horsehair (in the middle of the strands) below the tincones with an overhand knot. Trim the ends of the cords, and slide the drops down about 1/4" to hide the cord knots inside the tincones. This will bend the horsehair in 1/2, and the ends will stick out of the cones like little brooms.

That's it! You're finished. Hope that helps. Not that this is the ONLY way to do it, or even that this is a "traditional" way, but it's the way I was taught by an old Cherokee woman I used to learn a few things from...

Tom
hockeyfan_019 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
i don't think she's talkinga bout that kinda drop... The jingle dancers have been wearing loomed chokers with a large beaded rosette that hangs down onto thier chest from the choker... go check out the jingle section of the gallery and you'll see what I mean.

Chenoa.. I've not made one (yet) but i would probably use thread, and firepolish beads and attach it by two strands on either side of the backside of the drop and then weave the other end in and out of the choker beads. Have you possibly asked this question in the jingle section as well? Not all our jingle dancers can bead or like to talk about beading here but they might help you out if you ask there as well.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:13 PM   #4
Jingle Dancer

~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~MizzQaqimat~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
thanks for the help. Yup, i'm talking about the beaded chokers, with a big beaded drop on the chest. thanks for the help.

kim

MizzQaqimat's Space
Old 04-27-2004, 12:49 AM   #5
Breath Inspector

eagleclan22 is just really nice
I think maybe if your drop is too heavy for thread try something stronger like yarn or embroidery thread or fishing line... course it wouldnt even show b.c it would be covered by something else like the firepolish beads or somethin

http://pages.ivillage.com/sagkeengpowwow2003/

Some guys are good with their drum sticks.... and some just arent...:karate:
eagleclan22 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2004, 03:09 PM   #6
Experienced Dancer

acgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond reputeacgal has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
When I attach my daughters', I usually use some sinew and a few pony beads.
Old 04-27-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
Day Dreamer all the Way

cree_raven_redsky is a jewel in the rough
Sinew is a mighty fine choice i use sinew as well for basically everything i do when i work on parts or sections of outfits as well as beads just tiny'eerrrr' lol than pony beads they look great and professional like you know what your doing lol

cree_raven_redsky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2004, 08:32 PM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
thanks Eagleclan.. i was'nt thinking about how heavy it would be.... good thinking!
Old 04-28-2004, 11:06 AM   #9
Jingle Dancer

Thanks y'all! I didn't think about sinew, lol. Thanks again!

Kim

MizzQaqimat's Space
Old 05-03-2004, 01:24 PM   #10
hidatsawmn26

to do the drop do ya have to use firpolish beads?
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2004, 08:27 PM   #11
Honey Connoissuer

it's not written in stone. Just that they look so nice and sparkly. Plastic which would be far less heavy just does'nt look as good.. in fact it looks ...well.. plastic LOL.
Firepolish though really means it has that AB coating on it for that rainbow effect.. the type of bead itself is simply called a glass faceted and they come in different MM sizes. yOU More commonly see the size 8-10mm beads being used because they are often used in conjunction with hairpipe and the size of the hairpipe just does'nt look very good with less than and 8.. but if you were'nt useing hairpipe, a nice line of size 6mm would be more delicate in appearance and not quite as weighty.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:01 PM   #12
hidatsawmn26

i think i would use the 6 mm..instead of the 8mm..i just dont want something that would totally stick out and look gawdy..-becca
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2004, 06:02 PM   #13
~Erica~

eap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
I use button thread. Its really strong and you can buy it at any fabric store. Then I used firepolish beads to actually attach it.
eap7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #14
Honey Connoissuer

how do you attach it using the beads themselves?
Old 05-04-2004, 10:14 PM   #15
~Erica~

eap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond reputeeap7 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
I meant that I string the beads on the button thread in between the choker and the drop part. Obviously the thread is what is actually attaching :).
eap7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-05-2004, 03:12 PM   #16
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

eap, a friend of mine used that for beading (used 10s) and after like 5 years he didn't lose any beads from his outfit (dances all the time). I never thought of using it on a neck piece. :) thank ya! hehe
Old 05-06-2004, 10:04 PM   #17
Jingle Dancer

Well.....I'm skurred that when I attatch it, it'll just fall off, you know? Like, how do I make sure that the sinew doesn't slide once its tied? Plus I'm beading on and backing with canvas.

MizzQaqimat's Space
Old 05-07-2004, 10:15 AM   #18
Day Dreamer all the Way

cree_raven_redsky is a jewel in the rough
I think that when you attach the sinew not to forget to use beads as decoration to hide the fact you are using sinew to attach your drop and remember to give enough room so that it wont fall off or rip the material. Also the sinew shouldnt slide if it is attached right..... Better yet just send to me and i'll do everything for you :D lol

cree_raven_redsky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2004, 08:27 PM   #19
Honey Connoissuer

Roflmao!!!!