Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork lanes & mocs lanes & mocs

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
morningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond reputemorningstar has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 747.32
Savings: 157.69
lanes & mocs

So I am beading my first pair of mocs and I was wondering how do you mark your lanes?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #2
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Savings: 0.00
moc lanes

Assuming here that you are doing lazy or lane stitch beading on your mocs...

I do almost no lane marking. But I've been beading for many years and can make nice neat rows without effort. For the perimeter lanes, I mark where the center of the toe is. That's where I start beading. I bead down to the heel on one side and then down to the heel on the other side. That's how I keep my designs centered. I usually eyeball it so that I have a 3/8 inch of leather border around the outside of the moc. Then I just bead the next lane on top of the first. On the instep I may mark a center line or I may not, depending on how the beading will be oriented. I hate marking up my leather with indelible ink so I try to avoid it but if you feel it will help you bead straighter, then by all means, do it.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
I was taught NOT to mark on my mocs also. Just follow the seams of your mocs, use consistant number of beads in rows, etc. It looks sloppy when people mark up projects on beadwork and then fail to cover with beads.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-02-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
I use a pencil and mark the outside perimeter for my border lane. I find I need a guide, or else I get carried away and don't make both sides even.

It's enough to mark just the outside and make sure you don't see it after the beads are on.

Then I mark my center line going from the center of the toe almost to the tongue. That's all you need to get started. It's not necessary to mark the different lanes...on beadwork anyway. Quillwork is a different story.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:56 AM   #5
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Oh my goodness! Three of the best beadworkers on this site and they don't know the old Indian trick of using masking tape?

I learned this a few years ago from a beadworker out east. Granted, I do not do hardly any lane/lazy stitch (and it really shows here ) but to mark the lanes, use masking tape. It is much easier on straight pieces, but I have a friend in Calif who uses this technique on mocs. Just lay out one piece of masking tape and then put the second at a given spacing (here I used 3/8") You can make guide marks on the tape, as shown for the color changes. When you are finished with the row just pull up the tape and wha-la, straight lanes with no lines.

Hint: don't use the nice 3M or other brand name tape, use the cheap 25 cent Wal-mart or other knockoff, the adhesive is not as strong and it lifts up easier.

I have found that the tape also helps keep the leather or cloth from stretching while doing beadwork. I recently used this same technique when sewing brass sequins and it worked like a charm. Sorry the color contrast between the leather and tape is not so good, it's 11pm and this is the best you are going to get from me tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
dsc_7508.jpg   dsc_7510.jpg  

Last edited by BeadMan; 08-03-2007 at 12:59 AM..
BeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
depends on what I'm beading, when I'm beading around the foot of the moc I use a pencil (very light), or a scoring bone. I use masking tape on the back of the tops to keep from moving out of shape.

Last edited by kiowakat; 08-03-2007 at 08:04 AM..
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 AM   #7
Ready to dance

wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Old Indian Trick!! Not that I'm going to use it. A little bit too much trouble for me. I also don't use pins when I sew on the machine!
Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #8
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 91,659.62
If you do use transparent tape, use 3M brand because in scoth tape the adhesive on 3M is weaker, LOL.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
Ready to dance

I do use that brand of tape all the time at work. I put it on our computers to write notes, etc... It comes right off.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
LOL@Indian trick....I use the 2-3 inch wide masking tape on the membrane side, never put masking tape on the hair side, how do you guys do your lazy stitch?...go all the way thru or half way thru the hide? i've seen both done.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:19 AM   #11
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Like I said before, I do not do much lane/lazy stitch at all. But from what I have done and what I have heard from others is that it kinda depends on the leather. I think the majority of folks go part way through the leather, sort of "scoop" the needle in and out from the same side. Using masking tape on the back is a great idea. I use it on the side I am beading on, honestly I don't even look to see which side that is most of the time. That's what happens when a loom worker tries to do lazy stitch, we just screw the whole thing up!

And seriously wyo_rose, no pins at all? My sewing ends up crooked even when I DO use pins, it won't even stay under the foot if I don't. I'm such a rookie!

Great topic!
Old 08-03-2007, 11:28 AM   #12
Banned

LOL i don't use pins, sewing machine or GLUE, hahaha i seen the glue trick OMG what a mess, bead women and beadman thanks for sharing, I too sew my lanes of lazy stitch that way, I call it taking a bite of hide...lol
Old 08-03-2007, 11:45 AM   #13
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 91,659.62
I go halfway through, unless I'm beading on canvas or doing moccs. I use doubled thread on moccs. The seams attaching the uppers wear out before the thread on the beadwork, LOL.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #14
Beadworker

OLC....good point! I always use doubled thred for all the sewn beadwork I do, it is a must in my opinion. For lazy stitch I use doubled size D for 11/o beads. I also wax the $#!t out of it.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:15 PM   #15
Junior Dancer

randyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,563.78
Savings: 947.32
If you do choose to mark the lines with a marker on mocs, make sure its is a waterproof indelible ink. They will get wet at some point in their life and if the ink runs, it may bleed out into view even if you have covered all of your lines well.

That's what happened to a "Friend" of mine....Yeah it was a friend....
Old 08-03-2007, 01:39 PM   #16
Banned

sinew is great for lazy stitch especially when the row is 7-9 beads long or longer, I use cotton quilting thread waxed down when not using sinew, doubled, size 12-13 sharps needle. NO NYMO lol that streches to much for me lol...I've had where the pencil even smeared on my hide grrrr thats why I said Light with the pencil lol.....anybody have a good tips on using sinew? I used hide glue to keep the frays slick down when I was younger but now I just use good ole saliva lol...

Last edited by kiowakat; 08-03-2007 at 01:52 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 02:00 PM   #17
Beadworker

Just the thought of an ink pen or marker touching leather gives me the creeps! Unless it is intentional, I did a fake coloring one time using a red Sharpie instead of earth pigment, WOW it turned out bright! but I liked it. If I had to mark on leather I'd use a pensil, or perhaps a colored pencil that is close to the color of the leather so it really doesn't show. And usually, someone will call you out on it if you do mark.

Last edited by BeadMan; 08-03-2007 at 02:04 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 02:03 PM   #18
Beadworker

kiowakat....do you wax your sinew?
Old 08-03-2007, 02:13 PM   #19
Ready to dance

Yeah, I'd have to concur with only pencil on leather or buckskin and LIGHTLY!!

I only sew through the top layer as long as I have good buckskin. If it's real thin, I go through the whole thing.

Now I know what to do with my hand quilting cotton thread that my daughter bought by mistake!!

And NO PINS! I do keep one for emergencies, but that's it.

But I have been known to sew buckskin on the sewing machine. Mocs even. And even glued down beads on a massive pair of leggings. But DON"T TELL ANYBODY!! Actually it was an old NDN trick my daughter brought home when we were trying to get her outfit done by a deadline.
They still look lovely.
Old 08-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadMan View Post
kiowakat....do you wax your sinew?
No wax I use to use hide glue and put it on my index and thumb and run it down the sinew, that go sticky after awhile lol, then I just started using my saliva, keep the sinew wet. also depends on the sinew, when I make sinew I noticed if I go to deep on taking off the meat then I get more frays.
Sponsored Links