Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > Beadwork what is the difference what is the difference

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
Blackfeet Montana Lady

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
eagle wings is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
what is the difference

What is the difference between Gord stitch and Peyote Stitch?

Is there a way to bead a vest fast - just the lazy stitch?
eagle wings is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2007, 10:18 PM   #2
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
Savings: 0.00
I'm hoping that these are two totally different yet random questions.

As for Peyote vs Gourd, it depends on who you talk to and the book you are reading. Most classify Peyote as the bead running perpendicular to the length of the object. So lets just say you are beading a stick, the holes of the beads will go side to side if the stick is upright. Gourd stitch is usually when the holes of the beads go up and down on the same stick (I always called this brick stitch as it looks like brick laid on a wall). Hard to describe without pictures. Ultimately the terms get interchanged as I said depending on who you are talking to.

As for the vest, I think lazy/lane stitch would probably be the fastest way. Some people are just faster at appliqu though.
BeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
Blackfeet Montana Lady

thank you for all the info! It really helped, now I have an idea of what the difference would be - I stared some arm bands this weekend - and i'm anxious to start the vest for my son - he's a big man - 6'3" traditional dancer - I'm wondering how much I need to order for him - to have just the front beaded on the vest - about 2 KILOS?
Old 09-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #4
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Yep, I would say gourd is with the beads vertical around the stick,and that peyote stitch has the beads laying perpendicular. Whatever...anyway, just the opposite of what BeadMan said.

But that's the way I was taught loooong time 'go.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:22 PM   #5
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
I always thought that peyote was the one bead method and that gourd was the 3 bead method.. brick stitch was always just brick stitch
Old 09-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Banned

Creewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
I always thought that peyote was the one bead method and that gourd was the 3 bead method.. brick stitch was always just brick stitch
Can we say confusion
Creewoman05 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Beadworker

BeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond reputeBeadMan has a reputation beyond repute
Did I or did I not say that it depends on who you talk to.

I grew up in Oklahoma around beadworkers in the NE and central part of the state, and that is the way I learned it. There is no rule. Several years ago Chandler and Krazinski (sp) made a scientific breakdown of beadwork techniques, it was kinda cool. Peyote, gourd, and brick all fall under "netted" beadwork, it is just a very tight net. I don't think it goes beyond that as the main focus of the article was about woven (aka loom) beadwork.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
That's what my inlaws from Oklahoma told me as well Beadman. And they are right it's all a netted type of beadwork or also known as off loom beadweaving.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Junior Dancer

randyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,563.78
Savings: 947.32
Quote:
I'm with you BB, 'cept that Gourd stitch is 1 bead drop and Peyote is 2 bead drop. Brick stitch is brick stitch, but can also be called Commanche stitch. Now lets throw some wrap stitch in along with quill plaiting and we can all go to funny farm together!
Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM   #10
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
I was taught peyote and gourd stitch were the same thing, you have two methods, 2 & 3 drop method, the bead is || a verticle hole and brickstitch is another style of beading, the bead is like this = horizontal hole.......
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 PM   #11
Beadworker

Quote:
also known as off loom beadweaving.
The techniques in discussion are NOT weaving of any kind. That is a terrible term, where did you hear that? There is bead weaving that is not done on a loom, but I think this is even an odd term for that.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #12
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Sounds like the NonNative term! No offense!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #13
BOM CHICKA WAHWAAAAAAAAH

lilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond repute
lilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond reputelilbigwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Either Way...they are both tedious ways to bead...Peyote & Brick Stitch...sooo...I don't do much of either one...just the cylinders on spinners and that's good enough for me!!!

lilbigwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 PM   #14
Blackfeet Montana Lady

what are cylinders on spinners?
Sponsored Links