Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing bustles bustles

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 05:41 PM   #1
dawn ree

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
tsalagiama1607 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
bustles

hello all. im new to the native clothing and regalia.and i want to learn how to make a bustle can anyone give me directions. or a pattern to go by. or a website that will show me how?????

thanks,
dawn~
tsalagiama1607 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #2
Twin Dancers

powwowdancer7 is an unknown quantity at this point
There's a thread on here already called bustle construction. Its under fancy feather forums.
powwowdancer7 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #3
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsalagiama1607 View Post
hello all. im new to the native clothing and regalia.and i want to learn how to make a bustle can anyone give me directions. or a pattern to go by. or a website that will show me how?????

thanks,
dawn~
Go to crazycrow.com and order a catalogue. Then get the book called "The Modern Day Fancy Dancer" available in the catalogue. It has all kinds of decent instructions on how to make stuff. Its either that or go to a pow wow and give tobacco to a fancy dancer and ask him how he did it.

Derek
Old 08-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
Thinkin' Fancy thoughts

beeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond repute
beeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond repute
Crazywolf, this is the book, right?

Modern Fancy Dancer Book- C. Scott Evans & J. Rex Reddick: Crazy Crow Trading Post
beeleaf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeleaf View Post
But the book has problems. The history is selective, although the interviews with Chico and Joe B. are great. The book is mainly an advertisement for their kits which are not the best way to go.
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Thinkin' Fancy thoughts

beeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond reputebeeleaf has a reputation beyond repute
OK. Thanks, Iowa Boy.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #7
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
But the book has problems. The history is selective, although the interviews with Chico and Joe B. are great. The book is mainly an advertisement for their kits which are not the best way to go.
Actually,the instructions provided in the book are better than in the kits. I made the mistake when I first started out and got the super deluxe all hackle bustle kit from Crazy Crow and followed its instructions, more or less. THe bustles lasted for a year and a half, but I went ahead and wore them for one year after that.

When I got the book, and read the directions they gave there, I could see they are a lot better. They would be good for anyone that does not have a clue as to what they are doing as far as making something. ANyone with good craft experience can make inprovements on the fly or on their next set. The big difference between the two sets is when you prepare the spikes for tieing on the hackles, in the kit they tell you to notch the feathers for the rows. In the book they tell you to notch only at the base of the bottom row. This makes for a much stronger spike. I went a step further and tied my flagging (1/8 inch satin ribbon) for the whole lenght of the feather where the hackles will be tied on, and this makes the feather even stronger.

As Iowa boy said though, the kits are definatly not a way to go, they use substandard materials, you still have to buy extra materials (like the dowel extenders) and honestly, you can get much better for a lot less. I bought my materials for my last set from crazy crow. I bought TWICE as many spikes that I needed because I know they can come damaged, same for hackles, and bought my ribbon and thread from a sewing store. The price for all of this I think was around $150 (cant remember exactly) The kits cost you around $200. I also used rawhide for my quill base loops.

Finally, use a dremel with a very small bit to drill holes for your bridal string. Using a needle to split a hole splits the feather and will make them weaker. Drilling them seems to work a lot better.

Derek
Old 09-07-2008, 10:05 PM   #8
One more push-up,Please!

lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,730.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywolf View Post
Finally, use a dremel with a very small bit to drill holes for your bridal string. Using a needle to split a hole splits the feather and will make them weaker. Drilling them seems to work a lot better.

Derek
Never use a dremel on a feather, to risky. Keep a lit candle handy. Heat the end of the needle(not too long ) it goes right thru the feather and partially melts the edge of the hole your are making, therefore no cracking or spliting
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
lostsalt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,369.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsalt View Post
Never use a dremel on a feather, to risky. Keep a lit candle handy. Heat the end of the needle(not too long ) it goes right thru the feather and partially melts the edge of the hole your are making, therefore no cracking or spliting
I use a Dremel with a small bit too - never had a problem with it and it's much faster for me than using a heated needle.
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
One more push-up,Please!

lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,730.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by sookout sh'nob View Post
I use a Dremel with a small bit too - never had a problem with it and it's much faster for me than using a heated needle.
I just have horrific visions of the dremel "catching the quill" or riding up the quill making it bigger than necasarry.
I have to say there are as many ways to make a bustle, we all have our preffered methods. But if it turns out looking good, no problem.
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
lostsalt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
Thinkin' Fancy thoughts

Thanks, guys!

Any suggestions for making them, well, um featherweight?
;~)
Old 09-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #12
crazywolf

Quote:
I just have horrific visions of the dremel "catching the quill" or riding up the quill making it bigger than necasarry.
I have to say there are as many ways to make a bustle, we all have our preffered methods. But if it turns out looking good, no problem.
As with everything else I do, I try it on something else, a few crappy feathers to start. I also started slow, a mistake. Yeah the bit can catch and split the quill, so... Crank up the RPMs to maximum if you have a dremel with an adjustable speed. Light pressure works better than trying to force it. Its a little like wood. Let the machine do the work. Also, the bit should be the smallest wood carving bit you can get, I think its like 3/32". Its so small it looks like a ball point.

I have never tried the heated needle, but there are advantages to cuarterizing the hole for sure.

Derek
Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

randyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond reputerandyinkc has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,563.78
Savings: 947.32
I use a Dremel to make my holes too. I have a drill press stand designed for Dremels that makes it easy and keeps the bit from drilling where you dont want it to....
Old 09-22-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
I use an old 2x4 and a Sears craftsman drill, made 22 sets, working on 3 right now, never, ever split a quill. I hold the quill with my foot and drill through it into the 2x4 (so I don't drill the floors).

I think any method works if you practice it and take your time. I've developed a feel for my method over the years, may change someday, just not today.

Hey Lostsalt, I told my wife about this thread, she laughed picturing me on the floor drilling spikes with my foot holding them with my old drill.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #15
Boogie Monster

sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,369.70
You bring up a good point- I measure and drill all the holes out BEFORE I tie the hackle to them.

It's just smarter.

Quote:
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #16
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookout sh'nob View Post
You bring up a good point- I measure and drill all the holes out BEFORE I tie the hackle to them.

It's just smarter.

very, very important point, always extend and drill first (I flatten spikes, so that comes first, then extend, then drill)!
Old 09-24-2008, 01:34 PM   #17
crazywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Boy View Post
very, very important point, always extend and drill first (I flatten spikes, so that comes first, then extend, then drill)!
Hmm... I am a little confused to the order. This is how I did mine. I flattened first, then trimmed. I tied the hackles on next, then extended, then drilled then finally wrapped the extensions.

I tried to think, about how making this would go, what steps would put the most stress on the quills. I thought that wrapping the hackles on with an 8" dowel rod was putting a lot of unnecessary weight and risk into the proceedure, so I tied the hackles as early in the process as I could. Drilling and then wrapping I admit, was risky, but I do not think I could have done it the other way around, because mine are wrapped with thread, not tape. if I had drilled through the thread I risked breaking it.

I guess what everything boils down to, is everyone has their own method, whatever works best for them. More often than not it comes about through a process of trial and error. I do like to see what other people are doing. If it looks better than what I am doing I change it, if not, then no.

Derek
Old 09-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
HUUUUUUUUUH!

take some time and go through the fancy dance photo section of this website and look at bustles. try to understand the "math" of the bustles, the important measurements (distance from bottom of extension to hole, hole to bottom of fletching, length of fletching, distance from top of fletching to tip of quill, # of spikes, and the overlap between the spikes). Perhaps if you study other peoples bustles, you can begin to understand the important aspects of bustle making.
Sponsored Links