Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Fancy Feather Dancing OA dancer seeking to learn OA dancer seeking to learn

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
Dance Team Member

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
3D.Smith will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
New dancer seeking to learn

I would like to learn to dance fancy. Who or where can I learn from. I want to learn the right way and I don't want to be just another Wannabe.

Last edited by Knightly_master; 04-11-2005 at 11:09 PM..
3D.Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-09-2005, 10:21 PM   #2
Junior Dancer

Mike Hawk is a jewel in the rough
Savings: 0.01
BOY!!! U Gotta Get Off Your *** And Hit Up Some Powwows!! No One Can Teach U How To Dance...... Thats Like Askin Someone How To Be A Native American!! LOL Take A Camcorder..... Take Pictures... Talk To Some Fancy Dancers.... Learn About Tha History.... About Tha Songs N Powwow Ettiquete N All Tha Good Stuff.... U Cant Become A Fancy Dancer Over Night..... Most Of Them Have Been Dancin Ever Since They Could Walk, Like Me And The Rest Of My Family. Welp.... Thats All I Gotta Say For Right Now AH-HO!!!
Mike Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-10-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
Dance Team Member

I am already going to as many pow wows as I can however the avalibility of them is limited. I am just looking to learn enough so that I can practice in between and be practicing the correct way (so I don't form any bad habits).
Old 04-11-2005, 04:22 AM   #4
Dance Team Member

I am also designing an outfit while I learn and would like some feed back (I may regret this since I am still learning about it as I go)
Regalia Idea
I've probaly made quite a few mistakes

Last edited by Knightly_master; 04-11-2005 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: Stupitity
Old 04-11-2005, 04:39 AM   #5
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,162.00
Savings: 569.25
why don't u chek out the video section of the powwows.com store. there are a few how to dance videos.

Just make sure when you step up that your outfit is well researched and put together, so it doesn't look like a halloween costume or something. I hate it when some of these boyscouts around here show up in cheap crap. it's insulting. it says to me that they don't really give a crap or have any respect for Native culture. they don't want to make any effort or learn anything. I take it as a personal insult, and I'm sure others do too. Although, I wonder why the boyscouts are so fascinated with us. Why not look at the celts or somebody from over there? Don't they want you all to be proud of your own heritage and what not?

oh, and you should also make sure you step up your fitness regimen to build stamina and strength. Start running at least three miles every day, and watch your diet. And lay off the colas. water, water, water.

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.

Last edited by DeusExMachina; 04-11-2005 at 04:42 AM..
DeusExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2005, 04:45 AM   #6
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly_master
I am also designing an outfit while I learn and would like some feed back (I may regret this since I am still learning about it as I go)
Regalia Idea
I've probaly made quite a few mistakes
the sholders and cuffs I was thinking of making out of really thin polished stainless steel or I'll just use metalic beads (like I said I may regret this )
WTF?? Umm no. you want to go Fancy dancer, not medieval knight meets show girl. sheesh. go look at the galleries. there are lots of sharp oufits there. just don't rip off any designs that are on the outfits. people get really pissy about that, and with good reason.

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:53 AM   #7
Dance Team Member

This any better?

Round 2
Old 04-11-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

I agree with Deus - start training now! Run, walk, work out, eat right, drink lots of water and lay off the pop.

Go to as many pow wows as you can. Living in California, you guys have a lot there. You'll have to put some miles on your car, but that's part of being a fancy dancer or a pow wow person in general. Watch, talk to other dancers, listen, meet people, listen, and listen.

Per your outfit - good start, but I'd add a few more colors in there; especially in the bustles. Also, add some designs, but like Deus said - your designs. Don't snake someone else's.

Have fun! Fancy dancing is awesome!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #9
Divine Scientific Genius

Quote:
This any better?

Round 2
okay, you're gonna want to wear a ribbon shirt, and start saving your pennies because you are gonna need at least a good roach and spreader, beaded headband, beaded moccasins, and a beaded belt with side drops. possibly beaded cuffs, too. Also, if you use dance sticks, which I recommend, you will want those wrapped or beaded. and what kind of decoration are you putting on your apron and yoke? you need to start thinking of that. and you will want at least one more contrasting color in your main colorscheme

Fancy dancing isn't cheap. Bustles+Beadwork+good porky roach+good set of goats and bells is gonna set you back quite a bit. But take your time and don't sacrifice good looks for cheapness. being thrifty is good, but looking good and having sturdy gear that is going to last is the most important.

I suggest while you are getting your outfit together you work on your moves. practice, practice, practice. dance until your legs feel like jello, then rest, and then dance again. and get a big mirror to watch yourself in, so you can see if you mess up. or try videotaping yourself.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
Divine Scientific Genius

there's a book called The Modern Fancydancer. you can get it from Crazy Crow, if you don't already have it. I think it should be some required reading for you. and get the videos from the powwows.com store. you'll need them. and go to powwows!!! lots of powwows. the competition powwows are the best, because you will see some excellent dancers strutting their stuff. but watch, learn and start learning the songs, too. you don't want to over step or get caught on a trick song, so there is some more research for you. and some more money to be spent buying drum group cds so you can learn their repertoires

Old 04-11-2005, 03:20 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

QunnTheEskimo is an unknown quantity at this point
watch the competition tapes from Gathering of Nations and Denver March Powwow. you should be able to buy those DVDs on this site. but most importantly go to powwows and dance! learn by watching the natives, not the other OA guys
QunnTheEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #12
Divine Scientific Genius

yep yep.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:02 PM   #13
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 1.00
Talking

Quote:
This any better?

Round 2

DANG! What kinda software you usin' to make those things?

.....I see you've latched onto Photobucket....good site, I use it alot to post pics of my beadwork.

anyway.....whatchu usin'?

...dang, I know some folks that could REALLY make use of something like that for makin' outfits and such....folks always wonder what outfits will look like on people, or how they'll lay, or look when put together.....it's pretty keen.

So? How'd you do it!

.....the outfit looks "Old School"....fancy.

Throw some Neon in there, add some WIDER ribbons or flagging to the bustle ends, put some whip sticks in yer hands..and I think yer about there.

...notice you've got alot of medals on the wall in the background pic of you.....and what appears to be a pretty damn nice lookin panoramic view of some mountains and a lake over yer left shoulder......gah!! I'm just nosey!!!

LMAO!

Sorry man....I'm just messin wi

You've got a good design program thingy there, pretty keen.

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-11-2005, 10:43 PM   #14
Dance Team Member

I use a program called Blender, it's free! Get it Here!

This more like it?
Round 3
Old 04-12-2005, 12:20 AM   #15
Divine Scientific Genius

better, but it still looks too plain. you still need to add some decoration to the apron and yoke. and I don't know about the fringes on the cuffs. beaded cuffs with no fringes are the more normal style. but hey, to each their own.

Old 04-12-2005, 03:21 PM   #16
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Just wanted to second the motion on the cuffs. I dance with beaded cuffs with no fringe mainly because fringe will wrap around your wrist and just be aggravating when dancing. Plus, if you dance with whip sticks, it tends to hang up there as well.

Your pic is looking better, but like Deus said, add some designs in there. No offense, but this looks like an early 90s outfit.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:58 PM   #17
Teen Dancer

bwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond reputebwhite has a reputation beyond repute
Good start on the outfit. Go for lots of COLOR. That outfit is just dark green and white. Go with some contrasting colors... even different shades of green.

You're gonna want to add a back apron with fringes to match the front. The design will be up to you since it will be mostly covered by the bottom bustle.

Cover up the sides of your legs with some nice side tabs. They can be beaded or appliqued to match your cape and apron.

Big arm bustles are the style now.

Maybe try varying colors of ribbon for the fringe... example dark green, light green, white (or other colors) yellow would be keen.

You're on the right track. Nice computer design program.
Old 04-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #18
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
I have to agree with BWhite on different colors; white and yellows go nice with green.
I don't think I've ever seen a green roach before, you may want to go with a white or yellow one. Again my $.02 worth.
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-12-2005, 07:43 PM   #19
Dance Team Member

Round 4
Old 04-12-2005, 07:51 PM   #20
Like my new toy?

Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 30.00
Quote:
I like it!
Privateer6 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links