Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Crafts > General Crafts Creating Chokers Creating Chokers

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2002, 06:18 PM   #1
Riverwoman

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Question Creating Chokers

Can you give me some advice on how to make my first choker? I mean the ones with real hairpipe, spacers etc

What kind of materials am I looking at purchasing for them? I would love your help and advice:P
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2002, 07:06 PM   #2
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Savings: 0.00
Well, first of all you have to decide how many rows you gonna make.
3 or 4 are very common.
then you have to think of the pattern you like to use.
You should use real hairpipes caus those plastic things are ugly!
Glassbeads in the size of crowbeads you need to have, too.
Then you also need spacers. I always use a strip of thick leather like it is used for the soles of your moccs. Cut them as long as your choker is going to be broad and wide as the thickness of your glassbeads.
Then drill holes in the spacers for the rows.
Next thing is to take a sinew about twice the length your choker should be (you need it to make the ending).
Take one thread of sinew for each row.
Now bring the beads onto the sinew.
Your sequence should look like this:
spacer-bead-bone-bead-spacer-bead-bone.....
Alsways end with a spacer.

When you threaded all the beads and hairpipes make knots at the ends and tie the sinews together. I always take the sinew-threads and make plaids.
When you waer it you use those "plaided-ends" to bind it together.

I hope this explanation was more or less clear.
If you have any questions, just ask, ok?

:D :D :D

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2002, 09:59 PM   #3
Senior Dancer

webscouter has a reputation beyond repute
webscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond reputewebscouter has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Instead of tying my choker I found a large glass bead about the size of a "shooter" marble that I tied to one side of the choker. On the other side I created a loop about twice that size. Now I just slip the bead through the loop to attach. Takes less time to put on and I don't have to fumble with untying the knot after it is sweaty and wet.
webscouter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2002, 01:28 PM   #4
freak ;-)

Selina has a reputation beyond repute
Selina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond reputeSelina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,186.80
Good idea!
Have to try that the next time!
:D

Live each and every day of your life as though it would be your last!
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2002, 02:56 PM   #5
Riverwoman

Thanks all, I have emailed this page to myself so that I can print it out for later;)
Old 11-12-2002, 11:19 AM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

alaskashadowwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
When my dad made his last choker he sewed 1/2" leather thongs to the outside spacers, he then ties the leather thong together. Another idea he is working on is using velco fasteners on the thongs. Just a couple ideas I thought I'd pass on.
alaskashadowwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2002, 04:53 AM   #7
Alaskan Tlingit Woman

MissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond reputeMissTlingitAchievement has a reputation beyond repute
Alaskashadowwolf-
you just caught my eye, I am living in alaska, and then I see your name here. Then look at location.....Ohio. That is interesting. :) Like the name though. Are you from Alaska?
MTA
MissTlingitAchievement is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2002, 12:47 PM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

alaskashadowwolf is an unknown quantity at this point
I was stationed at Elmendorf Air Force Base for three years.
alaskashadowwolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2003, 10:05 AM   #9
Riverwoman

I made my first choker a while back:) I have a pic of myself wearing it in my gallery! Wahoo! Easier then I thought;)
Sponsored Links