Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing Noticeable Material for GrassDancers Regalia Noticeable Material for GrassDancers Regalia

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
BaMBaMm

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BamBamm is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Noticeable Material for GrassDancers Regalia

Becoming a Grass Dancer.
Wanting to now what kind of material to use.
And how to start.
BamBamm is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
BaMBaMm

Who can help me out With material.
Old 05-23-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
Dancing Eagle Scout

K_Shimkus is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm having the same problem...I need a source of bright shiny fabric with a good color selection. If anyone knows of an online store that has good bright solid colors, please post.

Also, does anyone happen to know a good site that sells white ribbon on large spools? 3/8" preferably. Thanks.
K_Shimkus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-23-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Shimkus
I'm having the same problem...I need a source of bright shiny fabric with a good color selection. If anyone knows of an online store that has good bright solid colors, please post.

Also, does anyone happen to know a good site that sells white ribbon on large spools? 3/8" preferably. Thanks.
Hancock Fabrics:

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/shoppi...roductID=12878

Ribbon I usually get by the spool from Joann's or Michaels when it goes on sale a couple of times a year.

~b2w
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #5
BaMBaMm

The thing Is, Im Starting from Skrach.
And dont even know how to start,
Can anyone Recommend anything i should STart.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
Dancing Eagle Scout

K_Shimkus is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know how familiar you are with pow wows and the dance style but assuming you're starting from absolute basics, the first thing to do is to visit a pow wow if possible. Just having an outfit is one thing but if you've no clue on pow wow ettiqute and traditions you may have some issues. Besides, going to pow wows and simple talking to other dancers and crafters is a great way to learn more about the outfits. Remember to ask permission first but many dancers love to have their pictures taken, it shows that people like their work.

So step one for designing an outfit is really to research the grass dance by speaking to dancers, checking out books and online articles, and simply browsing the picture gallery here. Remember that you should never copy another persons outfit but you may get some ideas.

If you're really stuck on a pattern or creatively-lacking, there is a pattern for grass dancers. Checking crazycrow or wanderingbull will lead you to the pattern. That might even have ribbon or yarn info.

Hope this helps.
Cheers.
K_Shimkus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #7
BaMBaMm

I have no Problem GEtting material.
I just need Advice on Patterns and What Type of Material to get. So if anyone had any ideas on what i need..??
Old 05-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #8
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
in any regards dont use black satin or very little of it ... it FADES like a mo fo .. lol .. turns brown after a while.

go pick up a sewing pattern for medical scrubs - best thing for a grass dance regalia so far - you can make it short sleave or long sleeve up to you. measure from waist to where ever you want your aprons to go down to. i would suggest using paper or some cheap material for a mock up so you wont waste your final material ... then u can use it for a pattern later and keep it for later when u make another one

buy lots of ribbon and if you think thats enough buy more ... lol. and lots of yarn or if you want to use broad cloth (cotton) material for the rag type yarning ... and dont pull the yarn to hard around whatever you are using for a template cuz if u do it'll shrink back to its original "size" after u cut it .. i've seen some ppl use an old record album cover ... but u can use whatever u want u want ...

and look at other regalia pix for inspiration only and color ideas .. dont COPY anyone else's regalia exactly ... nothing worse than showing up lookin like someone else ..

Last edited by chazziff; 05-29-2006 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: fat fingers again
chazziff is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #9
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
and if this the very very first time u are sewing .. i would suggest using a cotton material for a first time sewer. satins and other types of "slippery" material can cause some people trouble ...with puckering and such when sewing. when u get better try out some satins ...
Old 06-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #10
Champion Dancer

charliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond reputecharliemom has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,232.00
The medical scrub pattern is a great idea. If you are going to applique designs on the outfit then I suggest you use light weight wonder under. If you use the heavy weight one then your designs will be very stiff. Some of the fabric shops have the big spools of ribbon are available. I like these better than the smaller spools than the one that you get at walmart. I think that there is so much waste with the small spools because if you cut your ribbons at 36" then there is like 6-8" waste with each spool. That adds up over time. You can use it for other things but its too small for anything much.
charliemom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links