Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Grass Dancing Old style grass dance? Old style grass dance?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2006, 11:55 PM   #1
~~~Teen Grass Dancer~~~

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ABgrassdancer is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 298.10
Savings: 0.00
Old style grass dance?

How would one dance old style grass?
Old 05-30-2006, 08:29 AM   #2
BaMBaMm

BamBamm is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
If Dancing with the Older Style Dancing...
At a Comp. What would the Judges think??
BamBamm is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Dansin reel goot!

RedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond reputeRedGrassdancer has a reputation beyond repute
Question Old Style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamm
If Dancing with the Older Style Dancing...
At a Comp. What would the Judges think??

This brings to light, a couple weeks ago I entered a Men's Grass Special at a powwow. I am partial to the old style but not entirely, every now then I tend to put in a contemporary move. But anyway, the speaker on behalf of the special says "ok grassdancers, we want to see the old style of dancing...", "and dance low, get low...yada yada.." So in my mind I was thinking, "oh yeah, I can do this... I can make the finals..." To my surprise, I was eliminated in the first round with Judges hand picking the dancers. So I thought, what are they looking for? as I observe the dancers that moved on...They were not even dancing old style, they were doing fancy moves and that new stuff... So my question was...Do the judges know what old style is? or am I the one that has a total different idea of Old style?

Anyways, thought I'd share my experience with you.

"Dance me outside...??"
RedGrassdancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2006, 05:03 PM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

buffalohorse69 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGrassdancer
This brings to light, a couple weeks ago I entered a Men's Grass Special at a powwow. I am partial to the old style but not entirely, every now then I tend to put in a contemporary move. But anyway, the speaker on behalf of the special says "ok grassdancers, we want to see the old style of dancing...", "and dance low, get low...yada yada.." So in my mind I was thinking, "oh yeah, I can do this... I can make the finals..." To my surprise, I was eliminated in the first round with Judges hand picking the dancers. So I thought, what are they looking for? as I observe the dancers that moved on...They were not even dancing old style, they were doing fancy moves and that new stuff... So my question was...Do the judges know what old style is? or am I the one that has a total different idea of Old style?

Anyways, thought I'd share my experience with you.

i agree i think the old ways are not known by much of anyone anymore. so it is hard to judge that style, i myself am a comtemp. style dancer so i woundnt have a clue. but if you watch dancers like Lakota Clairmont youll get the idea on what to look for and what moves you need to try and do next time you come across a contest like that again.
buffalohorse69 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-07-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

buffalohorse69 is a jewel in the rough
man sombody hook a brother up with some of them points!!!
PLEASE!!!!!!1
buffalohorse69 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-09-2006, 03:34 AM   #6
Tiny Tot Dancer

powwowngirl is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Old Style Grass Dance

Do You Know Conrad Galey? He Is Known As One That Brought Grass Dance To Oklahoma With The Regalia Popular In Montana. When Dancing Was Almost Gone From This Area. He Knows The Old Style Grass Dance And His 2 Sons Dance That Style. I Have Seen Them Dance A Couple Of Times And They Are Overlooked Because They Dress Old Style And Dance Old Style. They Don't Stand Out As Easily For Some But For Me----they Stand Out Because They Are Different And Look Good On The Floor. Some Judges Are Pretty Young.....they May Not Know What It Is. Galey Judges Some...you Should Look Him Up. He And His Sons Know What They Are Doin.
powwowngirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Sioux Akicita

dakotasiouxsoldier will become famous soon enough
I dance a little old style and a little contemporary. I don't really see the old style of dancing anymore. I only know what I was taught and that is to move like the grass would in a breeze of wind. Very gracefully and smooth, not like a tornado of spins. I was also taught that in the old style of dancing that there was no spinning and no matter how fast the beat is just stay in step and move as gracefully as possible. I have also seen Lakota Clairmont get down in the arena and he is still one of the few who still dances old style. So, you might want to watch him and any others you may have heard of and see for yourself.
dakotasiouxsoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links