Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Women's Dance Styles > Fancy Shawl Dancing Need some tips on making a shawl Need some tips on making a shawl

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Need some tips on making a shawl

I need some help making a shawl. First of all, what's the appropriate size to make it? The ones I've made in the past seem too big compared to the other dancers. Also, when putting on the designs, what works the best? I usually do applique, but my material bunches up too much. Is there any other methods I can try? It seems like the other dancers I've seen don't even sew on their designs, or are my eyes deceiving me? :Eyepopper
ajidamoo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
Riverwoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajidamoo
I need some help making a shawl. First of all, what's the appropriate size to make it? The ones I've made in the past seem too big compared to the other dancers. Also, when putting on the designs, what works the best? I usually do applique, but my material bunches up too much. Is there any other methods I can try? It seems like the other dancers I've seen don't even sew on their designs, or are my eyes deceiving me? :Eyepopper
Nahh I don't think your eyes are decieving you, I too have seen designs that are just "on the dress" You can use Heat n Bond or what some people call "Wonder Under" to get the job done that way.

You might want to try measuring from finger tip to tip, then adding on a few inches so that the shawl can be held while dancing, and then from neckbone to the bottom of torso, for a width.

As a tip for the material bunching up, it could possibly be the tension on the sewing machine, I know I had to learn that one the hard way when I borred a machine to make a shawl set for a friends daughter.

You might want to try using pins to secure the material so that it does not slide around, and there is always Speed Sew

Good luck n take care!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2004, 08:31 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

ajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond reputeajidamoo has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the info. By the way, what do you mean by speed sew? Is that something new, cause I never heard of it. Or maybe I'm just a ditz! LOL.
Old 06-17-2004, 08:55 PM   #4
wrapped in ribbonwork!

Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Czechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond reputeCzechy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,732.09
Puckering while sewing can be due to several causes. Thread tension can be one reason. Or your fabric may be lightweight. In that case, you need to give it a backing for stability. One way to do this is to iron on or pin freezer paper to the back of your base fabric. After sewing, just rip off the paper. If its your appliques that are puckering, use an iron-on or fusible stabilizer on the back of the applique fabric. As mentioned above, Heat-n-Bond Lite and Wonder Under are two to try.
Every person has their own method, so experiment with what works best for you.
Czechy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #5
Sappony

RobertRedHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
Making a shawl

The standard size for a DANCE shawl is 40 X 60 inches with 13 inch fringe all the way around. Cut your fringe 26 inches long and then half it and tie it to the shawl. The quickest way to cut fringe is to cut a piece of cardbord 13 X 8 inches, tape one end of your fringe to the board and wrap it off the spool onto the cardboard. Then cut on the same side as the taped start. Hope this helps
RobertRedHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2004, 04:01 AM   #6
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Savings: 1.00
Lightbulb

all the advice that was posted here is good and sound, the one thing that should be added is that the shawl should come to just below your bottom and the fringe just above the ground. there are no general measurments, cause we are all different heights you know? the trick with the cardboard is really good, you can just measure from where you shawl ends to where you want the fringe to end, and cut your baord to that length, and as said you would wrap the ribbon around the board and cut where it meets itself again, that is if you are going to have your ribbon doubled. that is the way we do it cause it looks fuller,and that is the way we were taught.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:33 AM   #7
SpOnGeNoNeR RoUndPaNt'Z

jingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond repute
What kinda fringe are you using? Are you using fringe-fringe or ribbon fringe cuz, that will make a difference on how you want to attach it.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

FancyFemale49 is on a distinguished road
applique

Im makin a shawl for the first time myself and i had a question...while usin applique to attach my pattern what kinda settings on the sewing machine do i use so no thread will show on the insides on the shawl???

I already used heat and bond to attach the patterns on my shawl...do i even need to sew around it? ANy info is appreciated...egosani
FancyFemale49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #9
SpOnGeNoNeR RoUndPaNt'Z

jingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond reputejingle genie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFemale49
Im makin a shawl for the first time myself and i had a question...while usin applique to attach my pattern what kinda settings on the sewing machine do i use so no thread will show on the insides on the shawl???

I already used heat and bond to attach the patterns on my shawl...do i even need to sew around it? ANy info is appreciated...egosani
Yeah, you do want to sew around the applique after you heat and bond it... eventually, with all the wear in tear, if there's nothing reinforcing the heat and bond, it'll start to fall off. I like to use a darker or lighter shade on the outside of my applique's just to show them off a bit more... I'm not sure how you would not show the stiches on the inside...unless, you sewed in a lining after you did the applique... but, maybe someone else does....
Old 06-30-2004, 11:23 PM   #10
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Savings: 1.00
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingle genie
Yeah, you do want to sew around the applique after you heat and bond it... eventually, with all the wear in tear, if there's nothing reinforcing the heat and bond, it'll start to fall off. I like to use a darker or lighter shade on the outside of my applique's just to show them off a bit more... I'm not sure how you would not show the stiches on the inside...unless, you sewed in a lining after you did the applique... but, maybe someone else does....
jingle is sooooo right, as for not showing the stitching i have no idea, you may want to start a thread specific to that to get more replies, there are some damned good sewers out there i am not one of them. lol.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:08 AM   #11
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Well, if your shawl is single layered and you don't want stitches to "show", use bobbin thread that is the same color as your shawl.

Wonder under is the way to go with applique. It stabilizes the pieces and it doesn't fray, stretch, or pucker when you're cutting and sewing the pieces.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-01-2004, 04:32 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

foxnationwoman has a brilliant futurefoxnationwoman has a brilliant futurefoxnationwoman has a brilliant futurefoxnationwoman has a brilliant futurefoxnationwoman has a brilliant futurefoxnationwoman has a brilliant futurefoxnationwoman has a brilliant futurefoxnationwoman has a brilliant future
I use Heat N Bond Lite (purchased at Wal-mart) for my daughters applique designs on her shawls. Then on the more delicate fabrics for the shawl and the skirt I use a fabric stablizer on the underside. It just rips right out after sewing.
First I cut the design from the fabric and heat n bond. Iron that to the shawl where I want it placed. Use temporary spray adhesive to "stick" to stablizer to the back of shawl and then use applique stitches to the outsides of the designs on the shawl. I use an opposite color thread to on top to make the design "pop out" or use that thread that is multicolored. I sometimes use transparent thread for the bobbin thread. gotta know your machine so the tension is correct. that way it does not show up on the inside of the shawl. I personally don't like lining a shawl--looks sloopy. plus weighs down then shawl and the fringes don't fly. use a new sewing machine needle for each design. I use the ball point ones.

As to the size, each female is different size and height. I too measure from finger tip to finger tip and about an inch and a half for seam and fholding the shawl. The width is from the neckline to about the bottom of her "ish". (Just where the top of back thigh meets the 'glutes.) The ribbon fringes almost touch the floor. Rember to allow for a seam.
That one post of 40" width is kinda small to me. I use 2 and 1/8th yards of 60" material for my giveaway shawls. I pull the side threads till the material is "square". that way those shawls fit anyone.
I use the "spool o ribbon' for my daughers fringes, 1/4" wide. attach it to shawl by sewing them on. There is another post somewhere in crafts that describes this. Going to use wider ribbon next time. see what that looks like.
well that is all I can think of. Anyone else have a different aspect?
Old 07-02-2004, 11:25 AM   #13
SpOnGeNoNeR RoUndPaNt'Z

yeah, i usually use the 1/4 wide ribbon too... :) in the end, i use about 40-50 spools... i love when that stufff is on sale cuz, it sure can get expensive...
Old 08-06-2004, 09:16 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

Pehkos is an unknown quantity at this point
So would you have any hints on what can be done for the fraying of the ribbon fringe of the shawl?
Pehkos is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2004, 11:43 AM   #15
Junior Dancer

Blackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Blackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond reputeBlackfeetwonderwoman has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb my ideas on this shawl stuff and ideas in general...

This is probably more information than you want, so just pick what you need and let the rest go.

If the material is puckering, I find that my machine needs to be cleaned and oiled. Clean the area that the bobbin fits in for threads and lint with a brush that came with the machine. Then get out the instruction book and put oil where the booklet tells you to. Make sure you're using the right kind of needle for the fabric and right stitch length, and tension too. Adjust the tension a little at a time to get it right. When you get it right, write it down! I have a special folder for the ideas I've used on shawls I've made complete with the stitch length, tension and anything else I did. This file is complete with a picture of the finished shawl and the pattern of the designs I used.Then I don't have to experiment and figure it out again. Time and material are too valuable to waste these days.

Hang the shawl on the clothes line when you think you're finished. Put the cape on there too. If you like the look, then you are finished with it. If not figure out what else you need to add to the design and get back to work.

Sometimes I have to call the place I bought the machine from, because the ladies who work there have ideas on what to do. Would you believe that when I'm sewing that material with the little sequin like dots on it, I have to use a denim needle and something called Sewers Aid? The ladies who work at the store I bought my machine at told me that, via the telephone.

If I don't want my sewing to show on the back side of the shawl, I use a bobbin thread that will match the fabric. Only thing is I have to use the same kind of thread on the needle too, maybe not the same color but they same type of thread. Confusing huh!
You could line the shawl with another fabric. I made one of my neices that was lined with liquid silver lame.
One time my mom made a shawl with the same design on the back with sequins and beads, which took lots of time, and looks great. The big thing on this is to consider is how much time and money you have when making the shawl.

I've found that satin and those poly materials work best for the shawl. Tensions don't seem so difficult to set on those fabrics.

Buy wonder under or heat n' bond when it's on sale! You use lots more than you'd think you would when you make a shawl or for that matter, any piece of your outfits. Ribbon goes on sale too. It's also on various sites on the net at an even better price. Fabric is on sale too. Buy stuff that works with your beadwork.

It seems like I'm always looking around for this stuff, and can find it when I least expect to.

Have fun!!! That's the main thing. You sound like you're just getting started and it gets easier as you go along.
Blackfeetwonderwoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2004, 01:10 PM   #16
ndn Queen!!!

ndngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 345.84
unless you stitch by hand--your stitches will show on the inside of your shawl--the best way to make them not show so much is to closely match your bobbin thread to your shawl fabric. it will show less. if you are thinking about not lining your shawl thats probably your best bet. the other thing to a person just starting to applique and make shawls--TAKE YOUR TIME!! if you rush it just seems to make things go wrong. if you want to line your shawl you have a couple of options on how to do that1. you can make a reversable shawl like lots of the fancy dancers use or 2. you can line it with a lightweight accent color fabric that just protects your edges.good luck
ndngirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #17
Tiny Tot Dancer

s_jingle is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=Pehkos]So would you have any hints on what can be done for the fraying of the ribbon fringe of the shawl?[/QUOTE

Pehkos....i was told once to dip the end of the ribbon into clear nail polish and it would seal it. i do not own a shawl and i have never made one so i dont know if this will work but it sounds like it would. just do a test piece first and let it dry to see how it works.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:05 AM   #18
~*SIKSIKA~CREE*~

~lil_cree_chic~ has much to be proud of~lil_cree_chic~ has much to be proud of~lil_cree_chic~ has much to be proud of~lil_cree_chic~ has much to be proud of~lil_cree_chic~ has much to be proud of~lil_cree_chic~ has much to be proud of
well, ive seen dancerz not sewin their designs 2 their shawlz,but you'll be happier if you just sew them down.
1. think of a design then cut it out using file folder,get ur material & trace out ur designs & cut em out.
2. put heat&bond in the back of your design & shawl.
3. cut the fringe 48 inches fold it in half,so ur fringe will be 28 inches long. use at least 345 to 450 fringes on ur shawl.
4. sew the fringe to the shawl with a sewin machine.
5.sew on ur designs.

TIPS: to make ur shawl stand out use BRIGHT material.
~lil_cree_chic~ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-22-2004, 05:15 PM   #19
Tiny Tot Dancer

I have another question. Okay, if you don't line your shawl, what's the best way to sew on your ribbon? I'm in the process of making another shawl, this time no lining. I get so darned hot with two layers of material. Please give me some suggestions!
Old 08-22-2004, 06:08 PM   #20
ndn Queen!!!

ndngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl73 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 345.84
just put your ribbon on the way you usually do. if you want it to look cleaner then you could cover it with a small line of bias tape or satin ribbon
ndngirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links