Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Apache Crown Dance? Apache Crown Dance?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2004, 07:30 PM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
contemptradish is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Apache Crown Dance?

Hello,
I'm interested in asking someone some questions about the Apache Crown Dance. I really don't know anything about it, but am interested in learning more. Can anyone who knows about it pm me and answer some general stuff??

Thanks a lot!!
Old 09-09-2004, 09:31 PM   #2
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
This dance is featured on one of the two American Indian Dance Theatre videos done for PBS in the 90s. There is a small bit of narrative with it. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
River Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2004, 10:52 AM   #3
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 1.00
Why? You gonna crown dance?

Depending on WHICH group of Apaches you run into ,they all have their own version of it...or nearly all of them do.

I don't know that the Jicarilla Apache have this dance or not. The Navajo used to have this dance, but, lost it many years ago prior to their interment at Bosque Redondo.

The San Carlos, Mescalero and White Mountain Apache all have this dance, and are considered relatives to the Navajo. The White mountain apache are the closest in relation to us if you ask me....alot of words are the same, and I know many Navajos in their 50s and older that speak Apache as well as Navajo. We used to bring singers from Apache country North to the Navajo Rez to sing at our Enemy Way Ceremonies....mostly because they're such gifted singers. I don't know that anyone does that anymore, but, I know they used to do that.

The Chiracahua.....Warm Springs or Ft. Sill....take your pick....have this dance as well....but, call it their Fire Dance.

It's typically held during the Apache Sunrise Dances....when young women come of age. It's also held for other reasons as well.

It's been transformed into a somewhat entertaining kind of dance, but, it does have roots....very deeply seated roots, in ceremony.

It's a dance that's not done by just anyone, typically an individual will dance, starting out at a very young age, they're taught the songs, the appropriate prayers and how to make their gear up, how to wear it and what's appropriate behavior for them when they're dancing.

They can't speak when they've got those masks on, they have to just make their associated calls, and the "clown", the guy with the Bull Roarer, leads them or follows them, picks up items they drop and returns them. It's a very powerful and moving dance.

It's even more so when you've got around 20 or so singers belting out at the top of their lungs, and some really talented dancers that bend and sway and move their heads alot.....bear in mind, those headdresses aren't all that light, even though they try hard to keep them from being too heavy by using various types of wood.

I know one thing....nothing scares the hell outta kids more than seeing a Crown Dancer with those beady eyes staring back at you and the guy don't make a sound....just "WHOS" at you and it just strikes a chord deep inside you and scares the shyte outta you!!! LMAO!

There's alot to this dance......and keep in mind...it's sorta fun to watch and to dance along....but, it's not exactly something you'd want someone to just pick up and learn for no reason.

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2004, 11:30 AM   #4
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of Seattle
This dance is featured on one of the two American Indian Dance Theatre videos done for PBS in the 90s. There is a small bit of narrative with it. Check it out if you haven't seen it.
OMG!!!! LMFAO!!! PBS SHE SAYS!!!!!

:o
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2004, 12:46 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

River Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond reputeRiver Spirit has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burberrilish
OMG!!!! LMFAO!!! PBS SHE SAYS!!!!!

:o
Yes, I said. There are two videos, both were done for Great Performances on PBS. I have friends that danced in both of them. One is more of a 'staged' performance video, the other is a filmography of the Dance Theatre touring. Was there something funny about what I said that I'm not getting?
"The Cleveland Indians are going to change their name. They don't want to be known as a team that perpetuates racial stereotypes. From now on they're just going to be called the Indians." - Native Comedian Vaughn Eaglebear, Colville/Lakota
River Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2004, 12:57 PM   #6
Member since March 2000.

Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 60.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit of Seattle
Yes, I said. There are two videos, both were done for Great Performances on PBS. I have friends that danced in both of them. One is more of a 'staged' performance video, the other is a filmography of the Dance Theatre touring. Was there something funny about what I said that I'm not getting?
Oh...just ignore her.

GAAAAAAAAH!

Seems to work sometimes. aye!

jk Burbs!

I learned alotta shyte on PBS.....PBS is my Window To The World!!! aye!

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2004, 01:52 PM   #7
~*California Grown*~

kamikaze_yazzie has a spectacular aura about
Talking

LOL awhile ago i got to dance in a sunrise ceremony for a friend of mine.. and the one thing i remember is getting hit in the head by their "crowns" while i was following them. *L

anyhoo, I love to watch them esp. when theyre athletic and not get tired. And I like it when the singers sound all mean like theyre yelling at someone. *lol*

im off to the fair..
Old 09-10-2004, 03:48 PM   #8
THE ULTIMATE MULTITASKER

oOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond reputeoOoSouthernStyozoOo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 320.00
Mr bo jangles practically explained everything there is to know, and, yeah just not anyone can do it, usually medicine men have their own group that they use. Andi think the dancers can dance in only 4 ceremonies in their life, most of the dancers that i knew of where young. And they are mostly called Mountain spirits, that was where they use to have their ceremonies long ago, and lil kids weren't allowed, strictly adults.
oOoSouthernStyozoOo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2004, 11:39 PM   #9
Junior Dancer

contemptradish is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the input. And here's why I ask...

I teach a class in Indian music at the Florida State University here. It's a performance group really. It's actually funny how I got into it. When I moved here, I wanted to start up a drum, since I didn't know any singers from FL, and honestly, a lot of the people I met here weren't all that good. (sorry to any folks I'm offending now ;) ). Anyway, I went into the head of the Ethnomusicology dept. and asked him if there was anyway I could get a drum group started and do it through them-- that way they shell out he money for things. Pretty smart, enit!

Anyway, he said sure and now it's actually a course offered through the university. I teach mostly powwow singing and dancing, since that's what I know, and it's become a decently popular class. But I wanted to try something new this year. I just came back from a long visit to NM and was insipired to maybe try something from the southwest. But, since I don't really know anything about the Crown Dance, I have no idea if this is something that I could teach to just anybody, or even just try to learn myself, since there would be no religiosity attached to it.

So yeah, is it something I can try to teach and learn in a respectful way? I just know it looks impressive as hell! And like you said, Bo Jangles, I want to scare those kids AND the professors!! lol.

Last edited by contemptradish; 09-12-2004 at 11:44 PM..
contemptradish is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links