Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Racial discrimination advice!! Racial discrimination advice!!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 12:34 PM   #41
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by siouxner_sweetie View Post
If you would have read below instead of -attempting- to be clever and quick witted, you would have your answer. Have a great day!
Read below what? Incessant, whining, drivel?

No lawsuits? No $$$? No public flogging? No corporate advertisements taken out or mea culpa?

I didn't think so.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2007, 04:39 PM   #42
Teen Dancer

ndnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond reputendnMSW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20.00
Savings: 0.00
We have to do alot of EEO training at my place of work, and I have to do even more because I am a supervisor of bargaining unit employees (union), and here are some of the recent personnel guidelines.

A supervisor or co-worker creates a hostile work environment by making racist, sexual, or other unwelcome remarks or actions that their employee or co-worker finds offensive. This means that the comments don't necessary have to be directed at the complaintant, it can be remarks in your vicinity that are negatively effecting your work environment. EEO recognizes that there are serious power differentials that will impair an employees ability to complain to the immediate supervisor, especially with women in cases of sexual or racial discrimination or hostile work environment cases, so in those instances the employee is not required to follow the chain of command in order to get their concerns addressed. Simply telling a co-worker is enough many times, that provides some, not all, of the necessary documentation. If anything is reported or confided to anyone in a managerial or supervisory role in the organization, that manager or supervisor has an obligation to report the concern to someone higher in the chain of command or they can held liable should an investigation ensue.

Because I didn't read where you reported the manager's behavior to anyone you are in a tough spot should the manager decide to fight you being reinstated or if he wanted to file a grievance if any negative personnel action were taken against him (if he got written up, suspended or otherwise reprimanded). Telling your friend who was a manager would have provided you some of the documentation needed to assist in your situation and would have ensured that someone would have been responsible to report the behavior you experienced, but that's in the past....no need to list any more "could have, should have" statement.

Bottom line is, food industry jobs such as at a restaurant are very low on the EEO food chain...employees have virtually no protection of their rights and are pretty dispensable....take it from me, I used to wait tables back in college. If I were in your position, I would use this experience to reinforce what I DON"T want for myself or my children. My dad use to tell me when I complained about jobs like that and the bum management that went with them, "Get your education. When you don't have your education you are stuck working for idiots. At least when you have your education you will be working for better educated idiots and have some job protection."

Good luck to you.
ndnMSW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #43
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Read below what? Incessant, whining, drivel?

No lawsuits? No $$$? No public flogging? No corporate advertisements taken out or mea culpa?

I didn't think so.

Regardless of how you percieve she handled the situation does not negate the fact that it happened to her. This kinda attitude is why alot of these circumstances don't get reported and people go on thinking that they did'nt do anything wrong.

Granted you made your points with using racial slurs as friendly banter but neglected to follow it up with regardless of who you allow to use these terms or slams with you as a friend, that it's not appropriate in the workplace. Instead you just cried hypocrite. This is why so many miss your "valid" points, because you don't follow through with them.

Siouxner.. I must have missed it myself with all the editing and would just like to know... is it all over? Are you still working there now and did things get better?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:46 AM   #44
Self-Righteous Injun

Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
Granted you made your points with using racial slurs as friendly banter but neglected to follow it up with regardless of who you allow to use these terms or slams with you as a friend, that it's not appropriate in the workplace. Instead you just cried hypocrite.
That would be because the use of such terms, then crying about your OWN TREATMENT, does, in fact, make you a hypocrite.

I have no sympathy. Am I supposed to?

Because that leads directly into the sort of weak, unaccountable, "poor me", I deserve something because my great-great-grandfather (or Buddy Lamont, in this instance) got screwed TRIPE that continues to make Indians wards, second-class citizens, and social children.

In fact, I find the mention of Mr. Lamont offensive, in this instance. He didn't get shot because he was Native American, he got shot because he ran with AIM thugs. Let's not romanticize history, nor allow hypocrites -- who would invoke his name -- to rest.

I am not surprised, related to this so-called "racism," that we have not heard the rest of the story. Why not? Because, I'd bet, there is no "rest of the story." Our protagonist was served a dish of what she had been selling or, at least, supported when it didn't impact her.

The only lesson to be learned, here, is GROW UP. If you defend her actions, you are part of the problem.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 AM   #45
Teen Dancer

Skillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scale
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 53.62
Quote:
That would be because the use of such terms, then crying about your OWN TREATMENT, does, in fact, make you a hypocrite.

Because that leads directly into the sort of weak, unaccountable, "poor me", I deserve something because my great-great-grandfather (or Buddy Lamont, in this instance) got screwed TRIPE that continues to make Indians wards, second-class citizens, and social children.

In fact, I find the mention of Mr. Lamont offensive, in this instance. He didn't get shot because he was Native American, he got shot because he ran with AIM thugs. Let's not romanticize history, nor allow hypocrites -- who would invoke his name -- to rest.

I am not surprised, related to this so-called "racism," that we have not heard the rest of the story. Why not? Because, I'd bet, there is no "rest of the story." Our protagonist was served a dish of what she had been selling or, at least, supported when it didn't impact her.

The only lesson to be learned, here, is GROW UP. If you defend her actions, you are part of the problem.
you really dont know when to stop do you?
name calling and personal attacks seem to be your only weapon zeke....for one who whines about personal accountability as much as you do,you need to be held accountable for your words
Old 11-20-2007, 06:09 AM   #46
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

I believe she'd have had to been calling the other manager names like whitey or cracker for it to be hypocritical. What she did do was have playful banter with a friend at work that although is not appropriate in a workplace is also not done out of hate or to hurt. That is the difference and does not make her hypocritical. And it was'nt just name calling the other manager did but the situations he put her in as well other treatment.

Quote:
You know, not once did she mention a settlement or compensation for this managers actions other than returning to work without the harrassment. That's just words you have put into her mouth or are just assuming.

Quote:
personal opinion or speculation? Would you like to take the time to start a new thread and try to prove your theory? Hey I've been quite a few places where people do indeed get mistreated or shot just because they are indians. And she's not the first to say this about Buddy Lamont, so there's probably something to what she says. But if you don't feel like discussing this theory of yours in another separate thread, then let's drop it here and now because it's not relavent anymore.

Quote:

Maybe we have'nt heard the rest of the story because it's not over yet. Or maybe cause she does'nt have the time to spend on the computer daily like you and I.

GRow up my a**...... you know, I hope that you never have to experience what others have had to, like this woman. That way you can keep right on believing you are always right. It's rather crushing when you find out you are'nt. But rest assured you won't have to ever experience it from a woman's place either.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:33 AM   #47
Self-Righteous Injun

I didn't think so.

I cannot help where we are. Or where we deserve to be. Or how this appears to have turned out.

GET REAL.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:08 AM   #48
Honey Connoissuer

Whatever Zeke.. you've totally missed the point .
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 AM   #49
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
I happen to like " tripe "

Menudo .... yeah.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2007, 12:36 PM   #50
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
Whatever Zeke.. you've totally missed the point .
The point is that she committed the behavior she -- now -- decries as beyond the pale. That is hypocritical, unworthy of defense, and all should be devoid of sympathy.

This is not complex and should not be muddied up by the wailing, plaintive, and social troglodyte pleadings of, "but I am Native, I am special." (I can do as I like and there should be no consequences, to include racist behavior and walking out on a paid position due to hypocrisy and self-servedness.)

Try reality.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #51
Teen Dancer

Skillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scale
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 53.62
Quote:
The point is that she committed the behavior she -- now -- decries as beyond the pale. That is hypocritical, unworthy of defense, and all should be devoid of sympathy.

This is not complex and should not be muddied up by the wailing, plaintive, and social troglodyte pleadings of, "but I am Native, I am special." (I can do as I like and there should be no consequences, to include racist behavior and walking out on a paid position due to hypocrisy and self-servedness.)

Try reality.
TRY READING
she didnot call herself pocahontas nor make any of the other comments the manager made to her,now did she? so how did she commit the behavior???????
troglodytes LOL
perhaps but at least we comprehend what we read.....
Old 11-26-2007, 01:19 PM   #52
PowWows.com Addicts

OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Damn White People...
lol
Old 11-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #53
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneidaDreamer View Post
Damn White People...
lol
I know you're joking, but the Native, in this case, flatly admitted to racial insensitivity, opening the door to Pandora's Box.

This all goes back to the source: and it is NOT white people, in this instance.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:32 PM   #54
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 11,819.18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii View Post
I happen to like " tripe "

Menudo .... yeah.
ive never been able to stomach it,myself

The older I get the less of a deterrent life without parole gets
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2007, 01:42 PM   #55
PowWows.com Addicts

OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I know you're joking, but the Native, in this case, flatly admitted to racial insensitivity, opening the door to Pandora's Box.

This all goes back to the source: and it is NOT white people, in this instance.
I have a few friends who happen to be WHITE
Old 11-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #56
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneidaDreamer View Post
I have a few friends who happen to be WHITE
Doesn't everyone?
Old 11-26-2007, 05:16 PM   #57
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Doesn't everyone?
Not me dude.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2007, 06:21 PM   #58
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Me either.

I have work acquaintances who I consider - alright. But, not friends. My wife has a pretty good buddy as a friend. She's alright by me.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #59
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii View Post
Me either.
Same here, just work acquaintances.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-27-2007, 02:55 PM   #60
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakeeya View Post
Same here, just work acquaintances.
Not I, for my friends are crazy lunatic white. My best buddy and his brother are in jail on four counts of attempted murder, mayhem, conspiracy and torture. His bail is $1,000,000.00. A homeless squatter in the mountains attacked my buddy with a baseball bat and mace, luckily that my friend had his sword with him. The only thing is that when you're blinded with mace, you can almost sever an arm.
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links