Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Winnipeg church nixes native dancing at Habitat for Humanity event Winnipeg church nixes native dancing at Habitat for Humanity event

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2007, 11:56 AM   #1
Banned

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Creewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Winnipeg church nixes native dancing at Habitat for Humanity event

Last Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2007 | 5:29 PM CT
CBC News

A Winnipeg church prevented aboriginal dancers from performing at a Habitat for Humanity event this week, saying the performance was not an expression of Christian faith.

Habitat for Humanity invited Kim Houle and her children to perform at its annual volunteer appreciation night, which was held Tuesday in an auditorium Habitat had rented for the event inside the Church of The Rock.

'Native spiritual dancing has its roots in a different spiritual belief system that is incongruent with traditional Christian worship.'
Pastor Mark HughesBut the afternoon before the performance, the church told Habitat it could not allow the dancing.

Pastor Mark Hughes said he was sorry for Houle and her family, but he agreed with his staff's decision to prevent them from dancing in his church.

"Native spiritual dancing has its roots in a different spiritual belief system that is incongruent with traditional Christian worship," Hughes said in an e-mail.

"I don't think a Buddhist temple would allow a Christian pastor to speak about Jesus."

Continue Article

Houle and her children, who live in a Habitat home, were allowed to attend the event, but not to perform.

Michelle Nyhof, spokeswoman for Habitat for Humanity in Winnipeg, said the church's position put the charity in an awkward situation because it had signed a contract.

"We have to respect it's their facility. There is a contract," she said. "According to their contract they have the first right of refusal of performances, so we had to abide by that.

"Our option was to cancel the event, which we didn't feel was an option given the short notice."

Habitat is "heartbroken" by the situation, Nyhof said.

"What we do here is, you know, totally inclusive of everybody. We work with people from all backgrounds, all walks of life it's part of our mission statement," she said.

"We build homes for families from every nationality and every religion, so for this to happen, it's quite upsetting to us."

Habitat for Humanity will try to hold future events in public facilities, Nyhof said, so the organization won't face such restrictions on performers.
Creewoman05 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
This just shows a lot of ignorance on the church's part.

There is a difference between native ceremony and native exhibition dancing.

I note that the church's website mentions a "Solid Rock Cafe" on their grounds, where you can "challenge your friends to a dance-off on the DDR (Dance Dance Revolution). The games in the upper level include pool, snooker, air hockey, foosball and table tennis."

I think you can draw some connections between today's popular dancing (hip-hop, etc.) and native African culture, where dancing was ceremony. Also, don't pool, snooker and foosball have some of their origins in the bar scene?

Talk about hypocritical.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
Not suprised at all.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Banned

Creewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to behold
This got me really pissed off when I read it, and thinking how dare they
Old 11-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
Procrastinator Tater

Items Treasure Chest
JinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond repute
JinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond reputeJinglnCrazyLilBird has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 656.08
Wow, so does christianity mean that you ignore everything that Jesus Christ says? I thought Jesus preached acceptance of love of one's neighbors... hmmm, my version of the bible must be outdated. So does this mean I should tell my neices and nephews that when Jesus called the little children to him he also told the ndn kids they couldn't come because of their own cultural beliefs?

JinglnCrazyLilBird is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #6
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinglnCrazyLilBird View Post
Wow, so does christianity mean that you ignore everything that Jesus Christ says? I thought Jesus preached acceptance of love of one's neighbors... hmmm, my version of the bible must be outdated. So does this mean I should tell my neices and nephews that when Jesus called the little children to him he also told the ndn kids they couldn't come because of their own cultural beliefs?
That's the problem. Too many people throw the name "christian" around without knowing what it means or trying to live up to that standard. Christian means literally "Christ-like." Jesus said to allow the little children to come to him and to not prevent them, for "such is the kingdom of God." He never preached against any culture, except that of hypocrisy.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Dragonfly

Barb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond reputeBarb has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 602.84
Excuse me now my back is UP!!!! We have to respect their beliefs what happened to them RESPECTING US!!!! I get so tired of all this stuff is it ever going to stop?
Old 11-10-2007, 04:54 PM   #8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb View Post
Excuse me now my back is UP!!!! We have to respect their beliefs what happened to them RESPECTING US!!!! I get so tired of all this stuff is it ever going to stop?
I wish Icould answer that for you, as I am wondering the same thing

I am tempted to call the church and get the 411 or atleast write an email, and ask where did it say that god/jesus discrimates against ndns
Old 11-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #9
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00

Ridiculous...

Last Updated: Thursday, November 8, 2007 | 5:29 PM CT
CBC News

A Winnipeg church prevented aboriginal dancers from performing at a Habitat for Humanity event this week, saying the performance was not an expression of Christian faith.

Habitat for Humanity invited Kim Houle and her children to perform at its annual volunteer appreciation night, which was held Tuesday in an auditorium Habitat had rented for the event inside the Church of The Rock.

Pastor Mark Hughes said he was sorry for Houle and her family, but he agreed with his staff's decision to prevent them from dancing in his church.

"Native spiritual dancing has its roots in a different spiritual belief system that is incongruent with traditional Christian worship," Hughes said in an e-mail.

"I don't think a Buddhist temple would allow a Christian pastor to speak about Jesus."

Houle and her children, who live in a Habitat home, were allowed to attend the event, but not to perform.

Michelle Nyhof, spokeswoman for Habitat for Humanity in Winnipeg, said the church's position put the charity in an awkward situation because it had signed a contract.

"We have to respect it's their facility. There is a contract," she said. "According to their contract they have the first right of refusal of performances, so we had to abide by that.

"Our option was to cancel the event, which we didn't feel was an option given the short notice."

Habitat is "heartbroken" by the situation, Nyhof said.

"What we do here is, you know, totally inclusive of everybody. We work with people from all backgrounds, all walks of life it's part of our mission statement," she said.

"We build homes for families from every nationality and every religion, so for this to happen, it's quite upsetting to us."

Habitat for Humanity will try to hold future events in public facilities, Nyhof said, so the organization won't face such restrictions on performers.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
Minglin' N Jinglin'

MayChe has a reputation beyond repute
MayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond reputeMayChe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 900.00
I guess Habitat could've held the event at another location but on the other hand are the fundamental elements of Christianity that much different than Native ones?

Last edited by MayChe; 11-11-2007 at 03:28 PM..
MayChe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #11
BikerBoyNDNStyle

DANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant future
Credits: 70.00
I wish someone could get me this man's email address. It sounds like he really needs a quick educational lesson on Native Spirituality. I am an Ordained Minister and share my culture with others at churches that I go to. If he had made an attempt to do some background studying, he would have found out that ndn people have always believed in God the Creator. Some people just don't have a clue.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
Event organizers and/or the church had a right to say "no."

They did.

What's the issue?
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Event organizers and/or the church had a right to say "no."

They did.

What's the issue?
You don't get it do you?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #14
Self-Righteous Injun

Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creewoman05 View Post
You don't get it do you?
Apparently, you don't get it: they had a legal right to say "no" to the performance.

It doesn't matter what you think, want or believe.

Sorry you're displeased.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #15
Sings 4 Him

2kiowa4u is just really nice
What we have here is a lack of communication. But in the book of Hosea, he prophecied, "My people perish for the lack of knowledge and he goes on to say they perish for rejection of knowledge. What this means is that the body of christ "churches" in general cannot comprehend what the native americans have to do with christianity. The apostle Paul said they rejected the Chief Cornerstone that built the temple which means they rejected Jesus and that was because they (Sanhedrin) knew who they were rejecting. This happened because either this church didn't know how this was going to come across to their congregation and/or lose their membership. This shouldn't be a issue with any church because Jesus came to those who need him not the ones that are already saved!!!!!
2kiowa4u is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #16
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Apparently, you don't get it: they had a legal right to say "no" to the performance.

Sorry you're displeased.

Zeke, as I understand it, you work at a Native American center. You are in a position to advocate for "Native Americans" if it is warranted. Not to advocate for native druggies who sell drugs, but, for those who are innocent victims of racism or at the very least - indifference.

This is a case where people in a position, such as yours, could use influence to educate the people in question. Perhaps, as in this case, a person using tact, could sway the church leaders to have a change of mind, so that future misunderstandings may not occur.

This is what native leaders do.

Native leaders DO NOT throw up their hands and say, " sorry you're displeased " but, those church leaders are right and within their rights to say - sorry, you are heathens - hit the road.

I didn't want to post on this thread, but, your indifference to native concerns, concerns me.

I didn't want to be "vainglorious". Ayyyee.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

Sorry you're displeased.
Zeke,
Couldn't you for a millisecond see how upsetting this is for others? They plan and get everything ready then the rug gets pulled out from underneath them. They fall and you roll your eyes to spite them.
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-21-2007, 03:56 PM   #18
Banned

How ignorant Zeke! This mother and her children where invited, and then told they cant participate. Can you imagine what that did to the children?

The church has been victimizing native people for generations, each and every **** up adds a little salt to the wound.

Do you wonder why people such as myself don't believe in god or the church? I thought it was supposed to attract rather then promote discrimination of any one race based on their culture
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM   #19
Self-Righteous Injun

This is absolutely, 100%, simple: the individuals in question have a legal right to their actions.

If you're going to whine, whine about the law, not about individuals exercising their rights. Sure, they may have been somewhat coarse about it. THAT HAPPENS, DEAL WITH IT. If folks are upset, complain to the organizers who didn't complete due diligence.

As individuals, or otherwise, we are all able to advocate for whomever we desire. This so far from being a Native concern as to be laughable. (Unless, of course, you are one of those who complain that EVERY -- be they imagined, self-induced, deserved or otherwise -- slight is, somehow, because you are Native.) This is an organization determining what they want happening in their building.

I think those rights are recognized, universally.

Grow up.

If you don't like it, don't attend the church.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
This is absolutely, 100%, simple: the individuals in question have a legal right to their actions.

If you're going to whine, whine about the law, not about individuals exercising their rights. Sure, they may have been somewhat coarse about it. THAT HAPPENS, DEAL WITH IT. If folks are upset, complain to the organizers who didn't complete due diligence.

As individuals, or otherwise, we are all able to advocate for whomever we desire. This so far from being a Native concern as to be laughable. (Unless, of course, you are one of those who complain that EVERY -- be they imagined, self-induced, deserved or otherwise -- slight is, somehow, because you are Native.) This is an organization determining what they want happening in their building.

I think those rights are recognized, universally.

Grow up.

If you don't like it, don't attend the church.

Grow up, hon I have been there and done that.

There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion.
-Lord (John Emerich Edward Dalberg)
Sponsored Links