Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Drumbeat? Drumbeat?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Savings: 0.00
Drumbeat?

I was singing gourd dance this past weekend. The head singer and the rest of the drum used a slower drum beat to keep time with the songs. I actually enjoyed slowing the drumbeat down.

Some people like a faster "peppier" drum beat to dance to and think a slower drumbeat is, boring. Many of the gourd dancers at this weekends powwow belonged to very traditional gourd dance societies and seemed to appreciate a more "traditional slower" drumbeat.

I know times are changing and most singers use an extremely fast drumbeat for all gourd dance songs. People are used to this today.

It was refreshing to hear a strong, controlled and meaningful drumbeat this past weekend.

If you are a gourd dancer or gourd dance singer, which drumbeat do you prefer, the contemporary fast beat or the slower traditional drumbeat?
Old 11-06-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,633.21
Savings: 1.00
I think that some songs are actually set to a faster drumbeat but I do prefer the more traditional slower beat. It is good to know that there are still Headsingers and other singers who take control and won't allow the newagers to control and change the songs.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
Actually, I like them both, on the whole I prefer the slower beat, but around midway thru the dance and at the end, I really like a faster beat, gets everyone going, those war cries come out in force, quickens the heart. I guess it might depend on your age group also, you know, how much energy you have and how fast you like to move. I like the drum anytime I see Evan at it!
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2006, 12:49 AM   #4
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamhawk
Actually, I like them both, on the whole I prefer the slower beat, but around midway thru the dance and at the end, I really like a faster beat, gets everyone going, those war cries come out in force, quickens the heart. I guess it might depend on your age group also, you know, how much energy you have and how fast you like to move. I like the drum anytime I see Evan at it!

streamh,

Actually there is a natural progression toward the faster tempo of the drum that culminates the gourd dance.

The final round of gourd dancing is meant to be fast.

What I was talking about was "the fast drum beat from beginning-to-end" at most gourd dances today.
Old 11-07-2006, 01:55 AM   #5
Arena Director

powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 210.00
I do not like the fast beat right off the bat. As a singer it makes it all that much harder on you and as a dancers I like things to build the way they were meant to. Another thing that folk are doing these days is putting in those extra hard beats (like northern style drums) in gourd songs ... I really aint big on that. I don't mind when a set of songs builds in tempo, but I just don't see the need to be blazin right off the bat.

My experience is that guys that do not always know how to sing gourd will blast one out and then the guys leading after them have to keep building the tempo otherwise the set kinda flops, so the drum ends up at 90 mph 2 songs into a set.

Just my lincoln's on the subject

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #6
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe
streamh
What I was talking about was "the fast drum beat from beginning-to-end" at most gourd dances today.
I knew that's what you meant, I probably didn't state myself clearly, but I prefer the slower old style beat. The songs and beat should build, not take off like a race horse.
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2006, 11:15 AM   #7
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Quote:
I was singing gourd dance this past weekend. The head singer and the rest of the drum used a slower drum beat to keep time with the songs. I actually enjoyed slowing the drumbeat down.

Some people like a faster "peppier" drum beat to dance to and think a slower drumbeat is, boring. Many of the gourd dancers at this weekends powwow belonged to very traditional gourd dance societies and seemed to appreciate a more "traditional slower" drumbeat.

I know times are changing and most singers use an extremely fast drumbeat for all gourd dance songs. People are used to this today.

It was refreshing to hear a strong, controlled and meaningful drumbeat this past weekend.

If you are a gourd dancer or gourd dance singer, which drumbeat do you prefer, the contemporary fast beat or the slower traditional drumbeat?
I was at this Dance and immediately recognized that the singers were "old school"
I prefer the songs to start slow and let the songs build to the end
A natural progression to good fast songs at the very end!
And as for the hard beats they were just right
I noticed alot of silver hairs around that drum probably over 200 years of experience and that makes for a goooooooooood
Gourd Dance
For me that is what gourd dancing is about no "Contemporary Crap" Just skill and experience and for me that always beats modern new age crap...
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #8
a.k.a Numunu1971

Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Quote:

I, too, was at this dance this past weekend, and I thought the singing was especially good. Just right. I like it when I can dance without having to make an effort to stay with the drum. It also helps to have a mostly Kiowa drum singing too....
I would have to say that I prefer the slower beat myself, unless it is a song that requires the faster beat...like Charlie Brown.... It was a heck of a good powwow, I was really impressed with the job the committee did....C C
Old 11-22-2006, 04:07 PM   #9
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Thumbs up

made ya feel like you back down in the park sweating yer a$$ off coming two feet off the ground..... I like the slower tempo that builds up to them up to Charlie Brown....! Damn Whome I thought you was gonna fall threw that drum guy....! damn that singing sounded good... what good kiowa gourd dance singing is all about.... everyone singing.... no one tappin the drum looking around and not singing.... hell my voice was gone in the beginning... after that is all over.... I couldn't talk for bout 3 days..... Damn them off tribe fast war dance beat sings that make gourd dance sound off..... Gourd dance has its own pace and tempo.... each and every song.