Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Got gourd? Got gourd?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
USMC

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Zotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,588.46
Savings: 1.00
Got gourd?

What did these Kiowa Gourd dancers know of the Gourd Dance at their time?

I would love to know.

It was soooo much more than we know today.

Most certainly they'd know the story of the Red Wolf. Similar to the one we know today. Although the words they know would be much much closer to the original than the watered-down story our generations were raised with.

A long time ago...

A Kiowa warrior became separated from his hunting group and became lost. After much time seaching his way and reaching the limit of his strength and will, he fell exhausted upon the ground on a small hill. After some time he heard over the hill the sound of singing.

He pushed himself to crawled up the hill and peered down into a small camp where he saw a Red Wolf standing on hind-foot dancing and singing song after song shaking a gourd rattle.

Mesmerized, the warrior forgot his desperation and listened to the dance and songs revealed to him by the Red Wolf. Long into the morning he listened and, after some time, the Red Wolf beaconed the warrior down to him and spoke to him teling him to take the song and dance back to his people and know that, just as it had sustained and kept his spirit alive when all seemed lost, that it would keep his people's spirit alive from now and in the future.

The Red Wolf gave the warrior his gourd, and the Kiowa warrior ventured off to find his way back to his people. After some time, the warrior found his way back, and upon finding his way back and knowing he was home, he greeted his friends and spoke his story, and then fell to the ground and planted the gourd into the ground. And to this day, many Kiowa elders can point to the tree that grew at that spot.

The Red Wolf is the founder of our dance. He gifted the dance to us and we gift the dance in turn to others. The medicine moves amongst us that way.

The folks that just take the dance for themselves get to dance. woohoo! They don't get any medicine from the dance. (I wonder if it is still 'woohoo!' for them or is it just 'dress-up' party?)
Kiowa Tiah Piah
Kiowa Marine Veterans
American Indian Veterans

Zotigh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
Singing Guru

Da' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question

Well the way the Red Wolf story was told to me, was that the wolf didn't have the gourd in his paw. The gourd came later when Red wolf revealed him how to use His song and dance. Inititally the Red Wolf sung his song and gave it to him. And then when the warrior drifted off to sleep from exhaustion that's when the Red Wolf came to him in a dream. And showed him what to use and how to use it and when to use it.

Just like a lot the Hawn-kyah-gaw nowadays want to place claim to it and don't eeeeven know the half why they dance.
Da' Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #3
I don't do this for fun!

TacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
TacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond reputeTacO5000 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 232.00
Savings: 1.00
My self I like the songs that are sung buy the gourd dancers on side like back down carnigie way.... and the singers take over... just keen... I was told that there was no drum in that story thats why it is done.... I think its keen to hear!! Makes me sing hard when the drum takes over!!! Plus the buggiler sounding the charge! making me wish now!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Singing Guru

Da' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond reputeDa' Messenger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Haaw!

Big Fred gets it done, learned from both Kohns! the right way!
Da' Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
southern style

fretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond reputefretg has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,137.97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacO5000 View Post
My self I like the songs that are sung buy the gourd dancers on side like back down carnigie way.... and the singers take over... just keen
"Tone-dawgeah"---"Singing of the gourds/Singing with the gourds". The gourd dancers sing the song 4 times thru and the drum takes over. This is keen.
fretg is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links