Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Off Topic > Chit Chat Who taught you the most about your heritage? Who taught you the most about your heritage?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2004, 05:22 PM   #21
Fear & Loathing in Wy.

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
<_-~*No_nutts*~-_> is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
My Oneida Culture teacher- Bob Brown and my Oneida Language teacher- Beverly Skenandore. I went to the Oneida Tribal School and thank god I did because I probably wouldn't have learned much if I didn't.:Chatter

Did you just see what god did to us man?

If Barbie is so popular why do have to buy her friends?
<_-~*No_nutts*~-_> is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2004, 09:30 PM   #22
Leg Wrestling Champ!

rkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond repute
rkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond reputerkbtmeyb has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 276.50
kevin costner LOL

naw poppasan
DEATH TO ALL LURKERS!!!! ME
rkbtmeyb is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-10-2004, 11:05 PM   #23
Married Wardancer!!

Items PresentPresent
eyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond repute
eyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond reputeeyesrbrown4areason has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,822.81
Savings: 1.00
grandpa and my mom....

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, laying in hospitals, dying of nothing....

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you!

Four things you can't recover:

The stone........after the throw. The word........after it's said.

The occasion...........after it's missed. The time.........after it's gone.
eyesrbrown4areason is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2004, 01:33 AM   #24
Teen Dancer

Stirbaby is on a distinguished road
Well, its a combination.
My Great Uncle Leon Brinson, taught me about the Florida Outdoors life.
Florida is a very dangerous place to just wonder around and look for food and shelter.
I am speaking of the vast undeveloped areas that are left.
Hunting, with rifle, shotgun, bow, and traps, for Bear, Gator, Deer, Fox, Turkey, boar, wildcat, rabbit, squirrel, gopher turtle, snakes, raccoon.
And fresh water fishing, well, from bass to mullet, we know enough to never starve.
And the plants to eat, and general "not getting lost in the swamp" stuff can save your life.
Alligators, Rattlesnakes, cotten mouths, Deadly spiders, mosqitoes, dear flys, lightning, tornadoes, bears, wildcats, and black panthers, it can be a real jungle out there.
Just the kinda stuff that ONLY a Potano can teach you about The Land of the Sun.
Well, the Seminole have learned a lot, and the Muskogee, and some Southern Creek, and maybe the Apalachee.
It wasn't until I was a man that he would tell me about the Potano, how they had ruled Florida for 10,000 years, had been taken as slaves, and then how they returned to Florida.
Uncle Leon died, and my connection to the past was gone.
He was the last full blood that I know of.
But I am finding that the Spanish universities have a lot of the early missionaries reports, and these are available on line.
The fight to save the Ichetucknee river has led me even deeper into my Potano past.
I am stepping closer to the Native American Way. I have developed many native friends, full or half blood, who are friends and guides.
I follow the NDN news on several websites, and I learn much by being here.
I get sheet for being a wannabe, but I have learned to love the stripes I earn, cause , darn it, i look great in stripes.
Learning about my NDN, well, it is good to be fed, but for the real knowledge, you eventually have to get off the porch, get in the field, and harvest some knowledge on your own terms.
I have seen the New people come and go, not only here, but on a couple of other groups and boards.
I learn a lot by just being here at the campfire.
" We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.
We will take you and your wives and children and make them slaves...
And we will take your property and will do you all the harm and evil we can..."

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )
Stirbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2004, 12:40 PM   #25
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
"APTN" - Aboriginal Peoples Television Network and the "Discovery" channel.:)
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2004, 12:57 PM   #26
Teen Dancer

Aboriginal Peoples Television Network?
There is such a thing?
" We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.
We will take you and your wives and children and make them slaves...
And we will take your property and will do you all the harm and evil we can..."

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )
Old 01-11-2004, 01:26 PM   #27
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
yup, that's the home of the North of 60 series and movies. Loved that show. Used to catch it on Directv.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2004, 01:36 PM   #28
a Peace of.........

Peacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just where the southern plains end...and the hill country begin...
I know more about Navajo ways than of my own...I guess you can say I learned with my kids as they grew up...living on the Rez...everyone teaches ya...from language to back road midnight rides to Gallup....LOL..
Peacekeeper83 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2004, 01:36 PM   #29
Teen Dancer

OK, I am hooked, how can I see it. I am in the Land of the sun (Florida).
Is there a link to these people, a website, sumpin to hep me out?
Old 01-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #30
Wind Racer

nc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond reputenc silent quiver has a reputation beyond repute
My Granna.

Then on the other hand my mom taught me a whoooooollllle lot about what not to do.

"What we do in life.
Follows us into eternity"

(Gladiator)
nc silent quiver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2004, 11:39 PM   #31
Senior Dancer

FireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond reputeFireBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 684.84
Quote:
Originally posted by rkbtmeyb
kevin costner LOL

naw poppasan
Was that at the Kevin Costner school of wolf dancing.

Firebear's Ramblings Newsletter
FireBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2004, 10:30 AM   #32
hidatsawmn26

my ma and gramps and a little bit from great granny while she was still living...my aunts and uncles taught me some too-becca
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2004, 02:18 PM   #33
Junior Dancer

HarleyHunk is on a distinguished road
Growing up it was my grands and uncles.
The aunts and women elders teach the female roles and if the sisters or girl cousins were around my uncles would spit out roles for them.
Haven't been around the questions lately but I still know enough to give other a run for the culture life.
I'm not big into the powwows but I'll check it out every now and then.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:51 PM   #34
Teen Dancer

One Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant futureOne Hot Mama has a brilliant future
My great-gramma. When I was little and went to see her, she spent the whole time teaching us kids all she could, telling us the old stories, the history of our people, the language, songs, dances, and ceremonies(mostly the daily prayers and blessings). She taught us the plants and how the medicines come from them, and my family still does alot of those old medicines for aches, fever, colds, rashes, female problems, tonics and cleansing preparations, penicillin(yup, we were making it waaaaay before Columbus), and so forth. She died when I was 11, so I didn't get to learn how to make the more volatile medicines, the ones from poisonous plants like foxglove, mayapple, fernroot, and so on. One of her favorite expressions was "Being Indian is a hard row to hoe" whenever we said things were unfair.

From other elders in my family as well as wherever I've been I learned the values of hard-work and self-sacrifice, honesty, generosity, thinking ahead, hanging in there no matter how difficult things get, keeping promises and seeing things through. I've learned that there are consequences for every thought, word, and deed-good or bad, an that maturity means you accept the consequences of your actions without blaming others and with the mind to do better next time. Of course, I learned something about consequences from some of those whoopings I got when I was a kid, too. Willow and peach switches DO leave an impression on you when applied to your hide.

I've been shown the evidence of Creator's hand at work in everything from the whisper of the wind to the roaring of the storm, from the wee bit of moss on a rock to the oldest of trees, from creatures great and small, from the worst adversity to the greatest blessing. Elders teach that each moment of our life is a learning experience, often times subtle but sometimes it smacks us right in the face, depending on what Creator needs to do to reach us at that particular moment.

From friends and strangers alike, I've learned what to do and what not to do. I've seen the results of messes we all make, how the hurt extends further than we realize. And how blessings from doing right also spread further than we know.

From my children, I've learned more than I can list here, but we've had all the ups and downs, joys and sorrows, victories and failure that come with family. Mostly I've learned that I never seem to know as much as i think I ought to, and that being good-enough as a parent is a lofty aspiration for most of us. I've also learned that being a parent means being a nosy, hard-a**ed, over-protective benevolent dictator who irritates the daylights out of my kids by refusing to accept mediocrity when they can do better, knowing who their friends are, where they're going, what they're doing, and making their lives miserable with strict rules concerning what they can and can't do. It means yanking them up short when they're little but giving them enough rope to hang themselves when they get old enough so that they understand that there are more than just one consequence to any given action-all the while having to hurt right along with them.

But I've also learned that I have to admit when I'm wrong, that no matter how angry I may be it's my job as the adult to listen to their side of it before taking action, and that listening to my kids is even more important than talking to them. It means making sure that I tell them I love them every day, praising them when they do good and encouraging them in their efforts. And praying, lots of praying for them every day. Being a parent has shown me the wisdom of our ancestors and the ways they have passed down to us, how hard each generation has struggled to bring along the following ones, and how easily it could be lost if we fail to hang on with all of our strength.

Native people have always learned from each person in our family and community, and from those strangers Creator brings across our paths from time to time. I've learned from alot of people, and I thank Yowa for each person and lesson He's taught me with.
One Hot Mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2004, 10:41 AM   #35
PowWows.com Addicts

Jinglin Chica has a reputation beyond repute
Jinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond reputeJinglin Chica has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
"APTN" - Aboriginal Peoples Television Network
hey, me too! :p
Old 01-16-2004, 02:04 PM   #36
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Rod is just gonna look at you on that one.....ayyyy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jinglin Chica
hey, me too! :p
:p
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2004, 02:13 PM   #37
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Quote:
Originally posted by superndngyrl
some old bugs bunny cartoons... oh and that comic strip that used to be in the newpaper... what was it called? Tumbleweeds? yeaaaa!!!

and oh yea that movie Pocahontas!

:)
That show F-Troop!

Ayyyy, Geez really showing my age!!
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2004, 03:57 PM   #38
I'M NASSSTTTYYYYYY!!!!!!

MissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond reputeMissGolightly has a reputation beyond repute
I have Ancestry.com; www.eaglespiritteachme.com and www.learnaboutyourndnheritage.com to thank.

OK, mainly from my grandpa, my uncles and cousins.

"I can't sleep, the clowns will eat me."

"Things are more like today than they ever have been."
MissGolightly is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2004, 04:40 PM   #39
plains n8tv

tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
I learned from my dad and grammas.:D

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?
tradish_wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2004, 05:26 PM   #40
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Initially when I was a Cub Scout.....

So many Moons ago.....I took an interest in the Native ways.....

Eventually I advanced to Boy Scout status and Boy! was I ever on a roll then........

Well before I knew it, Yes....I was an Eagle Scout.....Complete with my very own Fancy Dance Bustle Kit.....Geez you should have seen it, matter of fact.............
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links