Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > PowWows.com Forum Archives > Archives Non-Indian pow-wows Non-Indian pow-wows

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2000, 12:04 AM   #41
Pow Wow Committee

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
tigger has a reputation beyond repute
tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
Savings: 0.00
you're right, i did mean Calico. other then the people acting like snobs it was a good pow wow. nice music and good dancers.

keith
tigger is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2000, 08:40 AM   #42
Tiny Tot Dancer

lngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond reputelngfthr has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
In which cities are the following non-Indian pow-wows held, please?

FIHA-Florida Indian Hobbiest ***.
AICA- North Carolina
CIHA- Californa
TIHA- Texas

Also, does anyone have a good estimate on the average number of dancers at these pow-wows? (remember: "average", I know that there is probably a lot of variation so a good guesstimate is fine) Thanks!
lngfthr is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2000, 06:27 PM   #43
Pow Wow Visitor

migiziwag is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

hello aura49,

good points but actually i don't think i'm doing the same thing.....it's just that the only non-indian pow wows which i have ever been too have been on the east coast...the orginal question to this post was names/locations of non-indian powwows...but given what i had seen while there i felt it wouldn't be wrong to type my opinion down for you all.....

as i said before..i know and respect many non-indians who follow the pow wow road....and traditional beliefs as long as they respect them....think about it, we wouldn't be reading these messages right now if it wasn't for paul gowder (who i think is non-indian)....my own husband is from central america and although he is half mayan...he identifies stronger with an hispanic identity because he is still learning about his own indigenous background. yet my husband still goes to pow wows with me and also attends ceremonies because he wants too and he is very respectful always....so as you can see i do not judge everyone who is non-traditional indian.....

and although i have not been to the LIHA pow wows in years.....i know people who go and in my opinion....LIHA has not changed....besides every time i go and visit my mother i see them....still just as rude as ever....

and i am not one of those who complains but never trys to change things....i have been involved in indigenous organizations since i was 12 years of age...i have worked/volunteered for numerous indigenous organizations in my teens and 20s and today i am a school teacher....i am also writing my first book (on a contemporary indigenous issue and art form) and starting a new scholarship for indigenous youth....as well as spending much of my time meeting with schools/colleges to change school mascots and encourage the addition of indigenous history, art, contributions, etc to the classroom....i also am a dancer at pow wows and have been doing beadwork since i was old enough to thread a needle.....so i hope you see that i care very much and also love who i am as an indian woman......i do not try to come across harsh with people and am sorry if i did....just trying to express how i see things and what i've seen....
migiziwag is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2000, 08:50 PM   #44
Pow Wow Visitor

bbv is an unknown quantity at this point
Ingfthr: Can only answer the AICA question for you. It is held in Union Grove, NC and is always the fathers day weekend. I would say the average amount of dancers for Sat would be about 80-100. http://www.powwows.com/ubb/smile.gif
bbv is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2000, 10:05 PM   #45
Pow Wow Visitor

migiziwag is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

aurora..

glad to hear you say that

http://www.powwows.com/ubb/smile.gif
migiziwag is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2000, 10:47 PM   #46
Pow Wow Committee

tigger has a reputation beyond repute
tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
Tiha- Llano, texas, and others (just don't know where)
tigger is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2000, 05:42 AM   #47
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure how FIHA got in here. It is in
Ft.Pierce, Florida. You asked for number not any other criteria so they have about the same as AICA but.....................
Beth is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2000, 01:55 PM   #48
Pow Wow Visitor

comanchegyrl is an unknown quantity at this point
I personally don't like when non-indians dance or anything like that at powwows or try to be indian. I think it is rude and disgraceful to all natives. I don't have anything against them its just the way I feel.
comanchegyrl is offline   Share with Facebook
Old 09-17-2000, 06:37 PM   #49
Unapologetic American

T Dave is on a distinguished road
Lngfthr,

I'm curious, what are you up to?

T Dave
T Dave is offline   Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links