Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's Head dancer dont no nothing about powwow Head dancer dont no nothing about powwow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-18-2003, 11:11 AM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
peekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs down Head dancer dont no nothing about powwow

A freind of mine his daughter was asked to be head dancer at a pow wow in the spring. The thing is she dont no nothing about a pow wow.She only started dancing because she was given her out fit by a family friend. She dont know the songs. She dont know the different styles so on so on.I fear for her that her and my freinds family will be talked about wrong should i say something or just leave it alone. She is only dancing beacuse she wants the money.I asked her "you excited to be head dancer" she said "sort of my mom said I will be getting paid for it"
After that powwow I doubt she will dance again because she don't really go to to many powwows.

Last edited by peekaboo; 11-18-2003 at 11:19 AM..
peekaboo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2003, 12:28 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

WICAPI WANJI is an unknown quantity at this point
Absolutely!!! she needs to be told straight up cuz its not just her rep but her entire families rep as well...besides if shes that greedy or materialistic she probably doesnt need to be out there anyway.....this thing they ask of her is a great honor and involves alot of responsibility....if her hearts not into it or if she just straight up cant do it.....cuz of her lack of knowledge tell her to step down...quickly before she makes an A** of herself and relatives.....Dokca..:Mad ( no offense to you and yours just lettin ya know)
Old 11-18-2003, 03:58 PM   #3
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
dancer

It would be better for her to step down now than make a fool of herself and the family in front of a lot of people. The committee is partly to blame they should know the people they ask to be head dancers. I fault the committee more than your daughter.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2003, 04:03 PM   #4
plains n8tv

tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Head dancer dont no nothing about powwow

Quote:
Originally posted by peekaboo
A freind of mine his daughter was asked to be head dancer at a pow wow in the spring. The thing is she dont no nothing about a pow wow.She only started dancing because she was given her out fit by a family friend. She dont know the songs. She dont know the different styles so on so on.I fear for her that her and my freinds family will be talked about wrong should i say something or just leave it alone. She is only dancing beacuse she wants the money.I asked her "you excited to be head dancer" she said "sort of my mom said I will be getting paid for it"
After that powwow I doubt she will dance again because she don't really go to to many powwows.
Hold up...how old is your daugter? Looking at your age, you are 22, correct? What is up with a committee asking a "tiny tot" to be a head dancer for a powwow? There are many responsibilities that go along with being a head dancer at a powwow, and if she is that materialistic to do it for the money...SELL HER OUTFIT AND THEN SHE WILL HAVE MONEY, THERE IS NO NEED TO DANCE ONLY FOR THE MONEY!!!
No offense, just callin it like I see it.

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?
tradish_wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2003, 04:04 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

peekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond reputepeekaboo has a reputation beyond repute
Oh heeeeeeelllllll naaaaaaaaawwww it aint my daughter. I would never let my family go out like that.
I'd shoot myself before some thing like that went down.
My homies daughter was asked and yes that was I think the main reason she was asked... because her cousin is on the committee. THATS THE ONLY REASON.
Its a inside family thing I guess.
I dont think no one knows her.
Im embaresed even thinking of her going out there making her family look like clueless fools.
I know how nasty people can get.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:04 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

ABENEWA KWE is a glorious beacon of light
what kinda powwow is this??? how can they ask someone who doesn't even know diddly squat about dancing .... this is a great honor and and should not be taken lightly .... yes u should let her and her family know that it is even disrepect if she accepts and doesn't know what she is doing ..... disaster ... pure disaster.
"When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

ABENEWA KWE is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2003, 04:06 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

Re: Re: Head dancer dont no nothing about powwow

Quote:
Originally posted by tradish_wiyan
Hold up...how old is your daugter? Looking at your age, you are 22, correct? What is up with a committee asking a "tiny tot" to be a head dancer for a powwow? There are many responsibilities that go along with being a head dancer at a powwow, and if she is that materialistic to do it for the money...SELL HER OUTFIT AND THEN SHE WILL HAVE MONEY, THERE IS NO NEED TO DANCE ONLY FOR THE MONEY!!!
No offense, just callin it like I see it.
It AINT MY DAUGHTER.
Once again. It is my friends daughter.
His daughter was asked. She is 16.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
plains n8tv

tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
OH WHOOPS...MY BAD!!!!!! I didn't read the post carefully enough...sorry dude.

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?
tradish_wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2003, 05:58 PM   #9
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Dancin by the bay is a jewel in the rough
Question

What does a committee look for when choosing to select a dancer for head position?
Dancin by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2003, 06:01 PM   #10
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally posted by tradish_wiyan
OH WHOOPS...MY BAD!!!!!! I didn't read the post carefully enough...sorry dude.
:Chatter all i got to say is ....... :Chatter

so ..... peekaboo..... what are u gon do? i think you know in your heart what to do.
"When the forest weeps, the Anishinabe who listens will look back at the years. In each generation of Ojibway there will be a person who will hear the si-si-gwa-d, who will listen and remember and pass it on to the children."

"Night Flying Woman"

Old 11-18-2003, 08:03 PM   #11
Dancin n Vendin

Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
16 yrs old? To me, she is too young to be Head Lady. I was taught that the older ladies (ok maybe 20 and older) more experienced are asked to be Head Lady. Maybe she could be Head Teen Lady ..... ?????

Some one needs to talk to someone about it, she certainly sounds too immature for the role let alone old enough to understand, or even care about the responsibility.

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!
Tsiniti is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-18-2003, 08:41 PM   #12
Junior Dancer

Gold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond repute
uncool

The family needs to be told if they havne't already about it.Have them know she's out representing not just herself but the family and also the tribe she from. Or is it a tribal pow wow and they alraedy know she not the rigth or responsible person. Man if it were my family and they didn't know or even did it for the wrong reason I'd spell it out clear as freaking day to them. Tht suck they are telling her to do it based on the money she be getting.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:57 PM   #13
Beth

Beth has a reputation beyond repute
Beth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond reputeBeth has a reputation beyond repute
head lady

The committee should be looking for someone with experience in dancing. Not someone that just startted. Frankly she could bow out gracefully now or make the whole family and the committee a laughing stock. Money should not enter into it.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2003, 11:47 AM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

nativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond reputenativ_5_o has a reputation beyond repute
dancer

my oldest daughter dances alot...we went to a powwow with a head teen girl about 15-16, she didn't know the dances and she had to be almost pried out of her chair to be in the arena.
Her attitude really showed and my daughter and I both thought that it really disrespected other dancers that were there that would have loved to been asked to be a head dancer and would have given the position its proper respect. maybe someone thought they were doing her a favor by asking or just trying to get her excited about powwowing by gettin her involved, but if money is all she seems to care about, someone should "pay" her not to dance
nativ_5_o is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2003, 12:23 PM   #15
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally posted by Dancin by the bay
What does a committee look for when choosing to select a dancer for head position?
Originally when a head dancer was chosen . . .

A powwow committee representative would go to the persons house and make a formal invitation.

Back in the day, a person was chosen for their knowledge of the dance arena, the amount of family/tribal support they could bring and the respect they had among their peers.

Things were stricter back then. If the head dancer could not dance a certain dance or had to temporarily leave the arena, they would designate someone to temporarily take their place.

Today because of the frequency of powwows and also the budgets of some powwow committees, inexperienced people are asked to be head dancers.
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2003, 01:23 PM   #16
VOTE ME ~ 4 CALI GOVERNER

Gah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond reputeGah-Gah! has a reputation beyond repute
Does her family (your friend) know anything about powwow? What style does she dance? :Thinking

I think you should say something to your friend, if your a good friend you should be honest and tell her the real deal!! :2:
Old 11-19-2003, 01:55 PM   #17
Champion Dancer

ron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Angry disrespect

To her family and Tribe if all she wants is the cash and that's the only reason she's going.

Then add ontop of that, the ancestor's she's slapping in the face for accepting such a distinguished honor while being clueless about what it takes.

That is just wrong, IMHO.
ron red eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2003, 05:38 PM   #18
Senior Dancer

theepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond reputetheepowwowchic49 has a reputation beyond repute
Angry What teh F***

Man if she dont know nuthin about a pow wow what the fudge she doing putting her self up there in head staff?
If she aint never danced why she going to try and be out there representing her tribe? The person that nominated and brought it to the committee should be wrung in the neck to for even putting her there in the first place.They must be white.Tell me they are white cuz this just dont seem write.

:indian1: THE DARKER THE FLESH THEN THE DEEPER THE ROOTS :indian1:
theepowwowchic49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-19-2003, 06:45 PM   #19
Teen Dancer

Re: What teh F***

Quote:
Originally posted by theepowwowchic49
Man if she dont know nuthin about a pow wow what the fudge she doing putting her self up there in head staff?
If she aint never danced why she going to try and be out there representing her tribe? The person that nominated and brought it to the committee should be wrung in the neck to for even putting her there in the first place.They must be white.Tell me they are white cuz this just dont seem write.
diddo .... that is what i was thinking .... is this a wanna be powwow??? i have a big feeling it is .. , because no one in thier right mind would ask a non-experience teen to be head lady.

inquiring minds wanna know! :Yell

"Night Flying Woman"

Old 11-20-2003, 12:28 AM   #20
Junior Dancer

Gold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond reputeGold_toothed_dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Sounds like a few of the pow-wows round here. Familys on committees and picking there own.You sure its not a powwow round here. Yo where are the elders in all this have your friend get a good talk over with a elder and remind the girl why she's dancing.