Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Pow Wow Talk > Pow Wow FAQ's naming ceromony naming ceromony

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #1
Lakota Turtle women

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Keya_win is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
naming ceromony

I am wanting to have a naming ceromony for my son but Im not really sure how to do this. What do I need to do and what is expected from me?
Keya_win is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2006, 01:17 PM   #2
BikerBoyNDNStyle

DANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant futureDANCINGEAGLE has a brilliant future
Credits: 70.00
First of all, namings are done in two ways. One is from birth and the other is from tribal elders. I named my daughter when she was born. Also, if you are going to have a naming ceremony, it should be done in private. There should not be any spectators around. There should be no camera's or any type of video taping going on. It is a VERY private ceremony.
Old 05-01-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
THE Lakota Wiyan

Lakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
I guess it depends on which tribe you are. In our tribe, we usually do this at our local community powwow and feed the people and have a giveaway. Nowadays the naming is held in conjunction with a Hunka ceremony, which is a kind of an adoption ceremony. ALOT of time the naming is done at the conclusion of a sun dance, and families are made larger. At either place, the new name is proclaimed loudly, four times, and everyone shares in the honors that the newly named gets.

However, my grandpa was named on his way to Korea to fight the war, and he was sitting in a diner at a bus depot. It just depends on necessity.
Lakota Wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2006, 03:35 PM   #4
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Savings: 1.00
I agree, this should be somewhat private; and by all means not done at a public powwow. Only family members, friends and invited guests should be in attendence. AND...Please, avoid the kinds I have seen on a couple of websites, where the person performing the ceremony looks like a "Dances with Wolves" want-2-B... Oh yeah, make sure you have and feed your guests well with traditional foods, they really like and appreciate that:)
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
THE Lakota Wiyan

Lakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I only told what we do in OUR tribe...our kids belong to the tribe, so it's a public thing...our sacred names are another thing, and given usually after a vision quest, or in the inipi or yuwipi.

Whatever you do should be done according to your own traditions...it's kind of unfair to come here and ask when there are so many different tribes represented. It all depends on your traditions.. You should have probably gone to an elder instead of here, where you will defintely get conflicting information, none of which is "more" right than the other. Some tribes do it privately, for their own reasons, and others do it publicly, like mine, for our own reasons. Our reason is like I said, our kids belong to the tribe as a whole, and it's our pleasure to share this honor and transitionaly event in our kid's life. We also share a young lady's biological transition to womanhood, with a sacred ceremony. We are not very secretive among each other....just outsiders....although the definition of outsider is pretty subjective. We share each others joys, pains, honors and memorials. But that is us...you find your way, and do it right...and good luck and many blessings on your child!

Keya Wi...thats Lakota, isn't it? Where are you from? I have a few people, elders, who can help you out...My Mom also told me to say that a naming can be held anywhere at anytime. There is protocol, but not rules, so you should do what you can. Some people have big giant giveaways and massive feasts, and others have small events, even at home with just a medicine man, a sponsor, the named, and a couple of family members with no giveaway, and even no feast. Always keep in the forefront of your thoughts that this event is an honoring...you do it the best way you can, and not in trying to "Keep Up With The Jones".

Last edited by wiyan; 05-01-2006 at 03:54 PM..
Old 05-01-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Ultimately what folks are saying is.. go to your elders to find out how your people give names because not every nation does it the same way and it's not something really that should be discussed online. If you don't know who your elders are... you need to get back to your community and build some ties to your people or they won't be giving you any names.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:04 PM   #7
THE Lakota Wiyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
Ultimately what folks are saying is.. go to your elders to find out how your people give names because not every nation does it the same way and it's not something really that should be discussed online. If you don't know who your elders are... you need to get back to your community and build some ties to your people or they won't be giving you any names.

Excellent Point!! There are somethings that just can't be learned, you have to be shown...
Old 05-04-2006, 07:06 AM   #8
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Because of my wifes tribes traditions, we had to travel back to the reservation where our daughter was born to receive her name. We didn't have any choice in the matter. We were told where and when.

Yes, it was done at a powwow, but in a very small ceremony in a secluded area. After the ceremony she was given a public welcoming dance in the circle and a giveaway was done. We put on a public feed and everyone at the powwow was invited to attend.That evening we had over a hundred people stop in our camp to eat and visit.

My wife's tribe does it this way now because our elders also need to travel for such events. Powwow is the only time and place where all the elders get together in number. At one time when everyone lived closer together it was done at home.

I'm sure glad we were given a years notice to do the naming. It took a lot of planning for us to do everything we needed to do and travel over 2000 miles back home to have this done.
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
Singer/ Dancer

RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 369.00
I agree with Wiyan and Blackbear...

Go to your elders and ask them, every tribe has different traditions in regards to naming practices, you have to stay true to your own blood and traditions, not try to hodge podge from other traditions/practices. Your elders will let you know what the right way is.

Paselo
RedShield is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links