Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News Ann Arbor 'Dance for Mother Earth' Powwow 2008 Ann Arbor 'Dance for Mother Earth' Powwow 2008

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
dtown is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Angry Ann Arbor 'Dance for Mother Earth' Powwow 2008

Unfortunately, it doesn’t come as no surprise that the Ann Arbor Powwow has a continuous diet of the same picked staff & dance winners. I have attended this powwow for the last 8/years, and each time some families like Schuyler or Cleland end up winning or being chosen as staff with their crony judges and tabulators. What goes around comes around?

In fact, there was talk in Toronto last December about how it was fixed, and long time supporters would boycott the event unless the Ann Arbor Powwow committee made some changes. All dancers, regardless of tribe, geographical location, and mixed-race should all be considered for powwow staff or potential winners.

Powwow committees should dig hard and deep for talent outside metro Detroit, rather than some inner city family click that makes this committee look like figure heads. If you noticed previously the same head dancers (Cleland) were chosen two years in row, what’s wrong with this picture? Prior to this, the same head male dancer was a dance judge three years in row.

The majority of us save up our hard earned money for gas, lodging, meals and dance registration. It could take as long as six months to save up money to go to Ann Arbor, but discover we do not have a chance of winning a fixed powwow. The powwows so-called promotion relates to watching fixed matches on WWE. Yes, I wasted my money on a competition filled with deception.

My impression of this powwow has gone from high to low because the committee overlooks the diversity from a larger much more talented pool of dancers & cultural staff. It comes as no mystery why the powwow has declined in popularity and attendance each year.

I live in Ontario and will be attending another powwow the same weekend because I have no confidence in the poor judging tactics used by the Cleland/Schuyler connection. Until changes are made, I have no immediate plans to continue supporting this powwow.

Oh yeah! I predict who will win this year… sound familiar? Just you wait and see!
dtown is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #2
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
You sound very bitter.

Anyways, I too attend every year, if possible. I have fun there. I really don't care who the head staff is. I go for a good time and if I spend all weekend worrying about placing or not, I won't have a good time. Did you happen to think, maybe, stress might affect your dancing?

Just enjoy yourself.

Oh ..... BTW, this is a student-run event and students change from year-to-year. Maybe.... just maybe.... the organizors, with limited resources available, just go by previously known head staff from years past and go with it? Just a thought.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
&a mp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; amp; gt;&a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp;a mp; amp;amp; amp;amp; amp;gt;: +:&a m p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;am p;

Mr Oakley has a reputation beyond repute
Mr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond reputeMr Oakley has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 590.00
Savings: 1.00
Is this the weekend after Denver March Powwow? I haven't been here in like 12 years!

see my powwow videos here...
www.youtube.com/oaklee84
Mr Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

cetanwinyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Stop your whining. If you looked at the website you would see that Wayne Cleland is not a headstaff this year, the mens dance judge is Wayne Silas Jr. Heather and Nigel Schuyler are head dancers but as you should know the head dancers have no control or say over the competition judging. And I am a committee member who has no relatives dancing here (we're from N & S Dakota) and I have been co-tabulator for the past 2 years and there is no cheating going on, we just add up the ponts and do not even know the dancers names till the end. And the Schulyers have helped in the planning and publicizing the PowWow - what have you done?
THE POWWOW IS APRIL 5 & 6 THIS YEAR (It is a week later so as to avoid conflict with the Anishnabe Language conference the last weekend of March)
cetanwinyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #5
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Well, I have heard of this pow wow, but I have never gone to it. It's usually during the time of another event that I attend.

I dance, but I don't compete, although I have many times been asked to be a judge. And I have heard the same things about some of the pow wow's that I've attended as well. But I know for a fact that when I've been asked to judge--I vote for the one who is truely the best one out there at THAT time. I don't think about how they looked a few hours ago or the day before--but during the actual contest that I am being asked to judge at that moment.

If you feel that it is unjust--and that is your right to your feelings--then you have the choice to go or not to go. But to make claims against people without anything to back it up---does sound like sour grapes. Just my opinion here.

If you are just going to a pow wow for the money, maybe a thought would be--that you might be going for the wrong reason and that may affect your dancing as it had been stated above. You might have stressed yourself out too much and it showed in your dancing. Just some thoughts on this.
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #6
Pow Wow Dancer

Schuyler, H. is an unknown quantity at this point
Ooh My !

Such words from a person whom I believe does not know me or my family ! I was not going to reply to this thread, but with you spreading my families name on here and another close pw family name on here it seemed impossible not too. Everyone is entitled to there opinions on how a PW is ran, but I see you fail to realise or EVEN mention the real "meaning" of a PW. Most of us that do go and attend a PW understand you win some and you lose some. Whats most important is seeing old friends and saying hello and meeting new ones. There will always be (unfortunately) a political view on PWs, no matter where you go. Just at my experience not only as a Dancer , but as a Head Judge / Judge that Ann-Arbor has always been fair to who was to win. We go by a computer generated tabulation system and each person has a number ( which we don't know who it belongs too). We don't even view or know whose #'s are whose. AND if you really knew the size of our families you would know its simply impossible to keep track of those numbers and who belongs to them in order for them to place. I wish that in the future you do plan on attending Ann-Arbor and view this PW as an experience to dance and DANCE for those who no longer can !!! And not worry about whether or not your wasting your $$ on attending. As mentioned in a previous response the students here have open committee meetings all open to public and volunteers alike. If you want more imput and action, you are more than welcome to attend.
Schuyler, H. is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Wesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant future
what up doe?

What up doe? well im the head man judge at msu this weekend and if your last name doesnt end in schuyler or cleland you might as well not show up this weekend!!! Lamo, i try to run a fair contest, i try my best to pick judges from all over, old and young, dancers and non dancers. thats pretty much all you can do and hope for the best. And i do agree you need to just dance for the fun of it and if you wanna compete you gotta realize you aint always going to win. Even ali got knocked out and hes the greatest of all time! lol ah ho
Wesley Cleland is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2008, 10:43 PM   #8
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Hey kids, don't worry about what anybody says. Just do your jobs. Whoever the person is worried about is probably working at the powwow. He/she can come and not worry about competing against them. Ayyee.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #9
Pow Wow Dancer

Too FUnny !

You can't help but laugh and keep up the Good OLE Native Humor, huh Wes.... Its sad that after all the crap thats going on in the world that people invite those nasty attitudes to a PW. A place where most of us view as a "get-a-way" from this crazy economy and society. Opinions are always welcome, but slaming a family / families name is simply something learned from NON-NATIVE people. Live life one day at a time, and don't take life for granted and the fact you have LEGS to even dance or walk. AND your right Kiwehnzii..... we'll do our jobs, with Pride. Can't please everyone.... main thing is that you can leave any pow-wow happy that you came, danced, and smoked a hole in your mocs !! lol
Old 03-16-2008, 10:10 AM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

moonhawk4 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a native from Montreal, QC and attend the Ann Arbor pow wow every year. I feel the pow wow committee is racist against other natvies. For example, there is a Seminole woman that dances every year. She is a very good traditional dancer, but she never wins. I found out that the reason she never wins is because she is part Black. Some of you claim to be so native, but you have the mentality of the white race.
moonhawk4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

cetanwinyan is an unknown quantity at this point
Since the PowWow committee is primarily students from many different tribes from all over the country including some African Americans, I do not know how they could be accused of discriminating against other tribes. There are 5 different judges for each contest round so what you are saying is that 10 separate judges, who are well known elders and dancers, are prejudiced. Maybe this woman didnt win because while she is very good she isnt better than some of the other traditional dancers, or perhaps she lost points for not being in all the Grand Entries or Exhibits. The tabulation results are open for anyone who asks to see.
cetanwinyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Pow Wow Dancer

Please stop the accusations !!

AGAIN ..... missing the point of a PW!! Moonhawk we know that you and your significant other Dtown are upset and have had some issues here (obviously). Your making this out to be something it is'nt. Ann-Arbor is an open book tabulation if you seen something wrong you were always welcome to view your points. To say that this WIDE range of people that make up the committee are RACIST is terrible. Be more open minded and not use the race card. That is too sad that you think that, maybe your mind has not been in the right place when it comes to PWs. If thats what you think this is about. Too sad !!
Old 03-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #13
Addy's Mommy

~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute~*~ShanLyn~*~ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 436.00
WOW
Im sorry Heather but if you're going to be there i am so not going LMAO
anyways, this Dtown obviously doesnt know how large the schuyler clan is lol

Why does it always have to be about winning?
Old 03-17-2008, 02:51 PM   #14
Liven Large on the Rez

rezgranny is a jewel in the rough
Talking Ann Arbour PW

I don't care what anyone says, I've been to Ann Arbour PW a couple of times and I enjoyed it and would if I could go again this year if my $$flow would allow it.
rezgranny is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler, H. View Post
AGAIN ..... missing the point of a PW!! Moonhawk we know that you and your significant other Dtown are upset and have had some issues here (obviously). Your making this out to be something it is'nt. Ann-Arbor is an open book tabulation if you seen something wrong you were always welcome to view your points. To say that this WIDE range of people that make up the committee are RACIST is terrible. Be more open minded and not use the race card. That is too sad that you think that, maybe your mind has not been in the right place when it comes to PWs. If thats what you think this is about. Too sad !!
heather

dtown is not my sig other. i ahve been a dancer for many moons. trad and comp. i know the pw is not all about $, do you?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 AM   #16
Pow Wow Dancer

Talking Moon

Its sad that for as many moons as you have been a dancer that you still not seem to realise that PWs should not be only about the money or placing or any other silly race issue you wanna add in. I can honestly say I "have" been dancing for quite sometime and have had plenty of experiences of dancing and not placing. Its when I leave I realise how much FUN I had, and how many more friends I made and how nice it was to see old ones. Again you nor D-Town don't know me or my family. I came on here to defend my family and the Cleland family. Not trying to be negative. I see that You and your friend DTown have the problems of racism and placing since it was mentioned by the both of you!! If you took the time to look outside the box you would realise that anyone reading your, and Dtown's post will see that U both sound very childish about placing and thats what you only come to PWs for. We have said it on here plenty of times if you have problems on placing maybe its not there race but there performance and attitude. Maybe something that you should understand before you post anymore. To answer your question I don't have a problem about NOT placing @ any PW. No matter where I am no matter how much gas cost and no matter who was head judge. Most Native ppl who travel know this !! If you travel soo much and have PW'd soo much comming to Michigan from Ontario or Quebec should be nothing and NOT placing won't make you soo bitter bout gas and such "great" planning. I hope that if not NOW but maybe one day you / Dtown will understand how silly this sounds and going back and forth (moonhawk) is rediculous. I think those who have not yet gone to this PW will see the post by D-Town as just someone giving there own opinion. But in my time living in Michigan the same PPL who live here will always come back and will always attend, not cause they placed or did'nt, but B/C its a tradition for us. And its one of the 1st PWs around here for the season.It is what it is, A POW-WOW so try your best to have fun attending it !!
Old 03-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

Wesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant futureWesley Cleland has a brilliant future
word!
Wesley Cleland is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #18
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuyler, H. View Post

Its sad that for as many moons as you have been a dancer that you still not seem to realise that PWs should not be only about the money or placing or any other silly race issue you wanna add in. I can honestly say I "have" been dancing for quite sometime and have had plenty of experiences of dancing and not placing. Its when I leave I realise how much FUN I had, and how many more friends I made and how nice it was to see old ones. Again you nor D-Town don't know me or my family. I came on here to defend my family and the Cleland family. Not trying to be negative. I see that You and your friend DTown have the problems of racism and placing since it was mentioned by the both of you!! If you took the time to look outside the box you would realise that anyone reading your, and Dtown's post will see that U both sound very childish about placing and thats what you only come to PWs for. We have said it on here plenty of times if you have problems on placing maybe its not there race but there performance and attitude. Maybe something that you should understand before you post anymore. To answer your question I don't have a problem about NOT placing @ any PW. No matter where I am no matter how much gas cost and no matter who was head judge. Most Native ppl who travel know this !! If you travel soo much and have PW'd soo much comming to Michigan from Ontario or Quebec should be nothing and NOT placing won't make you soo bitter bout gas and such "great" planning. I hope that if not NOW but maybe one day you / Dtown will understand how silly this sounds and going back and forth (moonhawk) is rediculous. I think those who have not yet gone to this PW will see the post by D-Town as just someone giving there own opinion. But in my time living in Michigan the same PPL who live here will always come back and will always attend, not cause they placed or did'nt, but B/C its a tradition for us. And its one of the 1st PWs around here for the season.It is what it is, A POW-WOW so try your best to have fun attending it !!
Heather

First of all I do not compete. I dance for Mother Earth, Creator, and my people. So I do not care about placing or the $. Secondly., I do not know Dtown.

I was only stating that most of the dancers who do compete at Ann Arbor pw are starting to realize if they are not related to you or a friend of your family, they do not stand a chance.

I am sure that you do not understand racism from your own native people that the Black/Native experience. I am a FBI but I have friends that are Black/Native.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 PM   #19
Oldfart

Moon..... I know of many full-blooded people who have never won anywhere. They look and act like they are native. Who could we blame for that? Certainly not racism.

I placed at Ann Arbor. And I'm not blood related to any of the head staff or committee. In other powwows previous to this or last year, these people were not working the powwow.

Please, think before you speak.

Go to the powwow. Set an example for the little ones. Go with a good mind and attitude. Dance. Have fun, make friends. Listen to the music. Shop. Laugh. You get out of a powwow what you put into it.

If you go with the bad thoughts that you are portraying, you'll have a lousy time.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii View Post
Moon..... I know of many full-blooded people who have never won anywhere. They look and act like they are native. Who could we blame for that? Certainly not racism.

I placed at Ann Arbor. And I'm not blood related to any of the head staff or committee. In other powwows previous to this or last year, these people were not working the powwow.

Please, think before you speak.

Go to the powwow. Set an example for the little ones. Go with a good mind and attitude. Dance. Have fun, make friends. Listen to the music. Shop. Laugh. You get out of a powwow what you put into it.

If you go with the bad thoughts that you are portraying, you'll have a lousy time.
Read before you write.
I Do NOT COMPETE
I never have a lousy time at a PW. I am setting a good example for the tiny tots. Showing them it is more to a PW than $. I am speaking for the dancers that do compete.

Where have you been? These people have been working the Ann Arbor PW for a few years
Sponsored Links