Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > News Why it's important to listen to the Elders Why it's important to listen to the Elders

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Savings: 0.00
Why it's important to listen to the Elders

Up here in northern Canada, we take our wildlife health and decline pretty seriously, especially the caribou and bison herds.

The Beverley caribou herd was recently thought to have been lost to environmental damage to their territorial lands but a recent study has found that the herd is quite healthy and has just moved to a different territory.

The thing is, the elders from the area have been saying that for a while. "The herd isn't gone, it's just moved". Scientists and researchers tend to ignored that nugget of wisdom and declared the Beverly herd lost forever.

Why did they do that, you may ask? Because it has been a school of thought that caribou herds are identified by where they go to calf their young. It was thought that the herd is tied to its calving grounds. When the Beverley herd didn't return to its once assumed calving grounds, they were deemd to be wiped out.

The elders however kept saying, no... they aren't wiped out, they simply moved their calving grounds further north and added, this is not unusual.

Seems the elers were right, the herd has been found, healthy and living near the Queen Maud Gulf area. An area considered to be the calving territory of the Aihak herd.

Read more here
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #2
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 52,281.47
The Elders aren't listened to because it isn't "scientific" when they say that the herd has moved. Common sense and signs from nature have been replaced by alogorythms and data.

I have gopher tortises all over the front of the property. If it's going to rain, they start digging out their dens. If it's going to pour and storm, they will really start to excavate and the dirt in front of the den entrances is a lot higher than just for rain. I don't need (but I do listen to) the local weatherman to tell me what's up. People have lost the ability to listen to the sounds of nature.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #3
were home

Items GuitarElephantPresentPresent
Credits: 30,091.23
Savings: 1.00
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
looking at the elders at different powwow i wonder how for 10 to twelve hrs they and sit in the same place i want to get them a foot stool or something at the same time i see their wisdom and can see them seeing, my old man is a elder and hes old too lol there is going to be a special traditional dance at the Alabama-Coushatta rez in Thomas Sylestin honer his grand son is coming out to on Dec 3 yall come on out to dance and visit, top winner takes all 300.00 its the monthly benefit dance for the powwow also ,anyway ..here is the regalia i made for Thomas grandson i made cape and apron with my daughter help, Thomas is doing the aplayke with beads
Attached Thumbnails
image81.jpg  

Last edited by 2lineCarrandMorgan; 11-23-2011 at 10:12 AM..
2lineCarrandMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
pigheaded

If this were facebook, I'd so be clicken the like button. Thanks yaahl
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Does anyone else think that some of the reasons that the science communities disengage themselves from local knowledge is that they have come to believe that "local knowledge" isn't so local because of the presumption that the "tribe" was relocated into the area?

Sometimes it drives me crazy having to explain that unlike the USA, we didn't have mass relocation but rather left most of the folks in their own territory. My own people have never left their territories... we were never put under treaty and thus assigned a reservation. My elders are the same people that as youngsters, watched the US/CDN armies build a road through our territories. Some of them up until that point (1942) had never seen a black or white man and they all still lived traditionally.

I remember a Supreme Court case where the use of oral traditions was being argued. The oral traditions were held to be as credible as any documented source was. See Delgamuukw v. British Columbia, [1997] 3 S.C.R. 1010
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,630.70
I think that common sense is rare today because the wisdom of elders and the experienced has been replaced with the "book learning of the youth." And this is a comical example of what comes of such stupidity. sheeesh I say.
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
pigheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post
I think that common sense is rare today because the wisdom of elders and the experienced has been replaced with the "book learning of the youth." And this is a comical example of what comes of such stupidity. sheeesh I say.
I'd agree with that Comadre, but would add, that I believe that even in the year 2011, Natives and Native thinking is still looked upon as inferior and superstitious, and that we are still looked at as (by Government) as ignorant savages.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,630.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigheaded View Post
I'd agree with that Comadre, but would add, that I believe that even in the year 2011, Natives and Native thinking is still looked upon as inferior and superstitious, and that we are still looked at as (by Government) as ignorant savages.
Okay. Ya....I'd say you are right there and would add that the general non native public even thinks that way too.

Here's a question. Isn't this group of environmentalists (that know better than native elders) the same group that once worshiped them when they were wannabes? just sayin.........
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-23-2011, 12:40 PM   #9
pigheaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post
Okay. Ya....I'd say you are right there and would add that the general non native public even thinks that way too.

Here's a question. Isn't this group of environmentalists (that know better than native elders) the same group that once worshiped them when they were wannabes? just sayin.........
Well what do you know, we've come full circle.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
were home

Items GuitarElephantPresentPresent
Credits: 30,091.23
Savings: 1.00
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
hello it tuff to understand what everyone is saying here but i might add a few more of my sense.. the elders know what they know the ppl payed to do studies see from book first then field i do believe two ppl looking at the same thing see it different according to their understanding....for instant at grand entry a hawk flew near the powwow we could see him as the prayer were being spoken humm i think cool and i hope he flys near me humm ok anyway he flew to a group of pigeons.... the golden age woman standing next to me [head lady at the last powwow] saw him too. her understanding was different than mine altho a few days later i better understood.i wonder if our thought came together in the final thoughts maybe not maybe so