PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/index.php)
-   Ask PowWows.com (http://forums.powwows.com/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   My frustrations and venting (http://forums.powwows.com/showthread.php?t=67672)

Princess1912 06-10-2013 11:45 PM

My frustrations and venting

I'm an american indian young girl and I'm half black, but I follow my american indian heritage and ways vigorously. Yet, I don't understand why whites hate american indians so much? what have we done? I have yet to understand this and it makes me so frustrated because so many american indians are in poverty and I want to help them but I can't....I don't know, I guess I just wanted to come here and vent my frustrations and sadness....

Spiritflight 06-11-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess1912 (Post 1582566)
I'm an american indian young girl and I'm half black, but I follow my american indian heritage and ways vigorously. Yet, I don't understand why whites hate american indians so much? what have we done? I have yet to understand this and it makes me so frustrated because so many american indians are in poverty and I want to help them but I can't....I don't know, I guess I just wanted to come here and vent my frustrations and sadness....

Welcome to Powwows.com Princess1912

I am white and I hate no one - maybe for a little while when people are hurting me but then I forgive them as they seem to be blind or wrongtreated by others. I live in Germany but have real life indian friends - so far the best friends I ever had. Not everybody hates everybody. I guess hate stems from greed and envy or frustration and the easiest for haters is to let it out on the "weak".

My own experience with white men's world is not very good either even though I'm white myself. There's always bad and good people no matter where they come from. I would like to help people too but I am poor myself. I guess, everyone who'd like to help those in need can do little bits and pieces - even when being poor. Even a little smile sometimes could help. But I know what you mean. I hope you can find a way to help with what's needed and wanted. My best wishes on that.

neling4 06-11-2013 09:39 PM

Whites don't hate ndns. Whites LOVE ndns! That's why there are so many "Wannabes". :angel:

White Powwow Dancer 06-12-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neling4 (Post 1582645)
Whites don't hate ndns. Whites LOVE ndns! That's why there are so many "Wannabes". :angel:

think about that statement what happens when a white person is married to a indian. Is that spouce is a wannabe?

Princess1912 06-12-2013 10:25 PM

Yes but....

I know it's not all whites but I was listening to my grandfather, who was a full blooded Lakota talk a few days ago about the massacres that the whites did to us American Indians years ago and it was just SO sad, it made me cry. I didn't get why another race would so such harshness to us. Then I've been reading online how the government are STILL trying to take away the rights of American Indians on reservations....it just baffles me....American Indians are THE most kindest, nicest race I've ever seen and they're always being mistreated and abused. They're THE most abused, ignored and mistreated race and I just don't get why.....It's not fair...

wanjica_the_one 06-12-2013 11:17 PM

Rapid City, South Dakota is a place where you will find a lot of white folk who don't like natives. All you have to do is walk or drive and you can see their deathly stares like they have murder on their mind.

Spiritflight 06-13-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess1912 (Post 1582693)
I know it's not all whites but I was listening to my grandfather, who was a full blooded Lakota talk a few days ago about the massacres that the whites did to us American Indians years ago and it was just SO sad, it made me cry. I didn't get why another race would so such harshness to us. Then I've been reading online how the government are STILL trying to take away the rights of American Indians on reservations....it just baffles me....American Indians are THE most kindest, nicest race I've ever seen and they're always being mistreated and abused. They're THE most abused, ignored and mistreated race and I just don't get why.....It's not fair...

I am hugging you gently - if that's okay with you.

Spiritflight 06-13-2013 12:56 PM

What I read online - it says many european settlers to the Americas and also to Australia - other places where native people lived - where disgraced europeans - like murderers and the like.

Princess1912 06-13-2013 02:45 PM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spiritflight (Post 1582721)
I am hugging you gently - if that's okay with you.

Aww, thank you :) I guess the treatment of American Indians is just one of life's mysteries....

MoonWoman 06-13-2013 04:55 PM

I am white. I wish I could say white people don't hate. I wish I could say they are ignorant and they have learned and want to repair the damages they have done and make amends. I don't see that being the case. The Native American community has been victimized for centuries by whites. From the time they first reached this country and began a brutal and savage war in their own homes, to the 1970's when doctors began sterilizing Native American women without their knowledge, to recently when the British government refused to let a Native American team play the sport they created because they did not recognize their nation's passport. Whites have tried to take your language, your children, your traditions; everything. The prejudice, acts of violence, and hate is disgusting and devastating and it has yet to stop. What I can say is that I have so much respect for the Native American community because of the fact that they have been working against a demon and have had to face more struggles than any other community in this country and in most others. Despite this, they have not only fought to maintain their culture, but they have maintained an immense amount of unity and pride in their heritage and have built a community and economy from nothing. Most cultures would have been ripped to shreds, but the Native Americans found strength in their community and remains a strong, united family. There will always be hate in the world, and ignorance, and masses of callous people who do not want to change. However, there are also people like me who are always looking to learn and grow and see the world for what it really is. I think (and hope) there are more people like that in my generation and those after me (I am 26). I wish I knew family like a tribe. I wish I knew my native language(s). I wish I knew community. Unfortunately, that is not "white" culture... white culture is consumerism, physical and cultural assimilation, social status. It takes struggle for people to find strength in family and community, and understanding of what is most important in life. We can't change the past, but we can navigate the future, and with education and awareness, things can surely get better. I don't know if it is just me, but I do live with guilt every day for what "my people" (or half of me's people) have done in this world.

Joe's Dad 06-13-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1582694)
Rapid City, South Dakota is a place where you will find a lot of white folk who don't like natives. All you have to do is walk or drive and you can see their deathly stares like they have murder on their mind.

I was in Rapid at the Wal-mart. White old man in a red vest in talking to another white guy. I walk up and ask him where the restrooms were, he looked at me with this condescending look and went back to talking to the other fool. I was telling my ex about it when he walked by and i pointed him out and let him know out loud it wasn't right.

Joe's Dad 06-13-2013 07:20 PM

Where is Zeke?

Zeke 06-14-2013 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one (Post 1582694)

And why would that be? :41:

I am not a big fan of many Natives in that area and it has nothing to do with racism. (I would presume not all black folks are fans of their brethren in Watts or Compton, either.)

But hey, we accept certain lifestyles as traditional for no apparent reason...

Princess1912 06-14-2013 10:27 AM

Yes, well as I stated, I was just.....questioning why......I'm young and maybe I don't - or haven't heard all about the reasons of why we're the most hated race in the world and it seems we are and I just don't understand why that is....Yesterday but....whateve...

MoonWoman 06-14-2013 03:31 PM

You are NOT the most hated race in the world. Although I would not say that a "most hated race" exists. Every country, every society, every community has targets for random acts of hate. Look at Darfur. Native Americans are respected, praised, and even fetishized by a great percentage of the population. Where there is ignorance and tension there is violence, physical or otherwise. You may be young but the fact that you ask these questions is so important. Question everything, that is how you learn. You are a very smart cookie, and you are LOVED!!

running_with_buffs 06-14-2013 05:58 PM

everybodies got there own minds and way of thinking..its how you are raised sometimes sometimes its peer pressure and sometimes people are just jerks by nature.Not everyone hates indians some dont even relize that indians still roam the world, some dont even know we live in houses drive cars and work. Even garth brooks has siad he dont like indians... but he was a bouncer in a bar in yukon oklahoma he aint gonna see nothing but drunks in there anyways. so its all how the individual person sees the world through there own eyes

Spiritflight 06-15-2013 03:59 PM

And I met and spoke to an NDN from some california tribe at a Powwow - he spoke fluent german - amazing.

wyo_rose 06-17-2013 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess1912 (Post 1582734)
Aww, thank you :) I guess the treatment of American Indians is just one of life's mysteries....

It's no mystery as to why massacres happened back in the day. The whites came to this continent, liked what they saw, and wanted it for themselves - to put in a nutshell.

What perplexes me is the continuing prejudice, which seems worse where there is a higher population of natives - especially South Dakota and these reservation border towns.

As I was driving through town the other day, I saw that there are never more than 10 visible "homeless" drunken natives wandering the park or the streets, but that's what gets noticed. All the hundreds and thousands, even, of other natives going about their daily lives in town - shopping, going to work, doing business, living in town - are invisible.

Anyway, back on topic, you should start checking out some history of your area. Suggested reading: Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown.

Zeke 06-17-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose (Post 1582963)
What perplexes me is the continuing prejudice...there are never more than 10 visible "homeless" drunken natives wandering the park or the streets...

Do you see the issue?

wyo_rose 06-18-2013 03:25 PM

Well, I've been back and forth to Denver lately and have see LOTS of "homeless" on the streets,panhandling at intersections, staggering through downtown....mostly whites (a few of color), young/old, clean/dirty, sober/impaired.

Creeped me out, but it didn't make me think all white people are like that.

http://cdn.lolchamp.com/wp-content/u...By-Ninjas.jpeg