Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Entertainment Apocolypto Apocolypto

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Savings: 1.00
Apocolypto

Hey everyone,

Friday, December 8th is the premiere of the new movie, APOCOLYPTO, produced by Mel Gibson and starring our adopted son, Rudy Youngblood - Comanche descendent and adopted Cree. Some of you may know Rudy, he is an awesome Grass Dancer, performed with Spirit Theatre, sings, plays flute, hand drum, you name it - anyway, he has managed to land the starring role of Jaguar Paw. This is his first movie and it totally rocks.

We have seen two previews (one rough cut) and the finished product on December 1st. This is an action packed movie, you are on the edge of your seat the whole time! It is subtitled, as everyone speaks Myan. Rudy learned the language and also did his own stunts. The filming is beautiful, the acting superb and Rudy just draws you into the movie.

If you get the chance - please go see this movie. You will be blown away. WAY TO GO RUDY, HOPE THIS IS THE FIRST STEP FOR BIGGER AND BETTER THINGS!
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2006, 12:57 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

kiowascout is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Youngblood attacked by a Native commentator

Hello,

I found this editorial today while I cruising the net. The author is a Comanche who runs a website for political conservatives.

Hopefully, you can stop this nonsense. Your relation is a fine young man. We should all be proud of him.

===================================

BADEAGLE.COM
Posted: Dec. 12 2006,1:21

Rudy "Yo, blood!"
By David Yeagley

Rudy "Youngblood," a new young star in Mel Gibsonís stunning film, Apocalypto, has a stunningly mysterious personal identity. I would certainly like to know the truth about it. My efforts so far are simply unsatisfactory. Rudy is apparently not American Indian at all, despite what the publicity says about him.

This is agonizing because, through his claim of being American Indian, many tribes in Oklahoma are actually benefiting financially. Rudy has motivated fund raisers and sponsors to support major Indian health causes in Oklahoma. In a November 29 press release from an Oklahoma Indian, three are listed: The Lupus Foundation America, Oklahoma Chapter, Inc.; The Oklahoma City Indian Clinic; and the Tulsa Indian Healthcare Resource. This is significant.

They call it "giving back to the Native community." That's the 'Hollywood' Indian line, anyway. Indian people are benefiting from a movie star's unsubstantiated claim to be Indian. That is the predicament.

Indian identity is the issue. In a way, Rudy "Youngblood" is committing the biggest identity theft since Ward Churchill, the University of Colorado professor who was fired for his academic fraud, as well as his non-demonstrable claim to be American Indian.

Rudy's official website has already been significantly altered since I brought up his identity issue, September 25, 2006, on the Bad Eagle Journal. The all the photos emphasizing his Mexican/black street fighter "gang" image were removed, and all references on the WaybackMachine have already been cancelled. Rudy's website is not listed. (Sharp handlers, he has.)

Rudy "Yo, Blood!" Cool, but not Indian?
Hot, but a pretender?

But even from information presently on his web site, it is abundantly clear that there is a serious identity issue. There are simple ways to address this, but his handlers apparently donít consider it important, yet. Let's itemize three major information 'challenges:'

1) Rudy has not named the American Indian tribe in which he is legally enrolled.
2) Rudy has never named the dates and places of the Indian dance contests his
web site claims that he's won.
3) Rudy has not named either of his parents, or any family relations. His web site
just recently named a Cree family it says adopted him, SlimJohn.

This is as good as publicists can do, for now, apparently. There are still some web references that offer something in the way of identity: two says Rudy's real name is "Rudy Gonzales," and that he is from Belmont, Texas; the other (Wikipedia) says Rudy's mother is black (African-American), but admits no specific citiation. Wikipedia says Rudy was raised in Washington State, Texas, and Arizona. (That implies a number of things, but, since no parents have been named, weíre left to surmise.)

Also, if Rudy is indeed adopted by the Cree, is would be sacrilege if not ludicrous should he be adopted by another tribe, such as the Comanche or the Yaqui, both of whom he claims decent.

The information on Rudy's bio is constantly being altered, perhaps in response to the growing concern over his identity issues. A Hollywood web site will never have more than a brief bio, and space limitations may account for some of this ambiguity. Wikipedia says Rudy is "a grass dancer, pow-wow singer and artist." I do know one Oklahoma Indian who has seen him dance, but that doesnít make him Indian. Wikipedia says he toured with the Native American Dance Theatre, but Rudyís latest bio does not mention this.

Rudy says he sings, and he's a proud [adopted] member of the Slimjohn Cree family. Did he sing with the Northern Cree Singers of Alberta, Canada? No Slimjohns among them. There is a SlimJohn Indian in Yakama, Washington, and a Fern SlimJohn mentioned on a pow-wow listing (Womenís Jingle), but that's all on the internet. Rudy obviously doesn't use the name Slimjohn, nor were there Slimjohns at the private, premiere showings of Apocalypto among Indian people.

With Cree (Canadian), Comanche (American) and Yaqui (Mexican) Indian claims, Rudy is 'all Indian, all the time.' It's an over-kill. He apparently has no blood of any of these people.

"Giving back to the community"? No. Heís taking everything from them with such false claims. It is identity theft, usurping the honor of those Indians who died for the blood of their people. Hollywood, apparently as well as Rudy, has no appreciation for this. Indians do.

If Rudy were really Indian, he would name his family. If he respected Indians, he wouldn't allow his publicists to misrepresent him. Iím afraid his "Indian" pride is pretense.

The best thing he can do for Indians is not to raise money, but to honor the truth.
kiowascout is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Senior Dancer

luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
luvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond reputeluvstraightdancrs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 289.33
Savings: 1.00
Have seen this crap........Not too sure what to make of this guy. Maybe he's gonna run for office! All I know is that he (the author) IS Comanche and they don't even want him (or so I have been told). So am not sure what point he is trying to make, other than to slam someone with talent and smear a name.

You know, I am proud of Rudy - he is a fine young man and I never even considered asking him to prove to me that he was indian. He is a talented young man, gifted dancer and probably gonna be a decent actor. His movie is great (even with the blood and guts). I have met his mother (birth mom) and she appears to be mexican and probably indian - but you know I didn't ask her either. To be honest I don't care if he is or he isn't....I just like the person - won't change my feelings about him either way.

I can see the point of naming your family if asked, if you are gonna claim it then be able to prove it - but to go out and start talking trash about the persons birth family and demand information that is quite frankly none of this guys business, is just wrong. Who made him chief! I just hope he can prove the things that he is saying about Rudy.

Thanks for the post.
luvstraightdancrs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

kiowascout is an unknown quantity at this point
I so wholeheartedly agree with your comments. It is awful that this is being dragged out this way. I just wanted his family and Rudy to know what was being done. Forewarned is forearmed.

My beat to you and Rudy.
kiowascout is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2006, 06:34 PM   #5
Kimimila

DaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 613.44
Thumbs up

I just saw the movie and I thought it was great! I don't understand the motives of the critic who was bashing Rudy. What is this guy's problem and who hired him as the NDN identity police? He should get over himself! In my opinion it was awsome to see a movie of this magnitude on the big screen with an all Native cast. Much props to Rudy and everyone else on a job well done! My understanding is that for many of the actors this was their first movie role. Amazing!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:45 PM   #6
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
I'm glad to hear something positive about this movie. It hasn't come to our town yet, but as soon as it does - I'm THERE!

Some of the worst things were written by people who hadn't even seen it.
wyo_rose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2006, 03:20 PM   #7
is hot like frybread!!

Apachedumpling has a reputation beyond repute
Apachedumpling has a reputation beyond reputeApachedumpling has a reputation beyond reputeApachedumpling has a reputation beyond reputeApachedumpling has a reputation beyond reputeApachedumpling has a reputation beyond reputeApachedumpling has a reputation beyond reputeApachedumpling has a reputation beyond reputeApachedumpling has a reputation beyond repute
I like the film, despite the critics, I think everyone forgets that if Hollywood makes it, it goes by Hollywood rules. But thats an entirely different argument.

I really don't see why he is fussing over this, its not like Rudy is all of a sudden taking benefits such as commodity food (NOT MY CHEESE!!), IHS (NOT MY PLACEBOS!!!!), or even obtaining official enrollment (NOT MY PER CAP!!! - well to the tribes that get it anyway), instead GIVING BACK. He said it himself. I mean if you have celebrity status and have the ability to address issues in Indian Country then why not utilize it?? Yes his website says that he is a of Comanche DESCENT. Descent does not mean he's necessarily claiming it, or saying he's enrolled but recognizing his roots. I'd have a huge problem if he went on a roll about how he was enrolled and trying to spit knowledge he doesn't have, but is he, to the best of my knowledge no.

So in short, kwiturbichin and eat your commod cheese and smile.

"Insert words of wisdom here"
Apachedumpling is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #8
goofy

APRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond reputeAPRILCHOCTAW has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 70.00
Oh brother

So what wilkepedia says his mother is black, the census records say my grandparents and greatgrandparents were black because they were brownned skinned and spoke english, also they lied to stay on there land so they wouldnt be removed. There are public documents and books written on this issue so why is it that his mother couldnt have done the same! This guy is being really ignorant and I find that he is being hypocritical when he says honor the truth, what about honoring other humans and not believing heresay. Which he clearly has forgotten, maybe he should consult with his elders on how to respect fellow humans and how to not be so filled with hostility.
APRILCHOCTAW is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #9
PoW wOw LiFeR

n8vladyjingler23 is an unknown quantity at this point
i think it is so sad that the guy who's dragging rudy's name in the mud has so much time to do so. what is he a stalker or private investigator. what was his point for saying all that he's writing. is he jealous? i dunno. i just think that is so horrible that he can't support an actor whose bringing light upon some native american tribes whether he's a descendant or not. he's helping these tribes and he should be supported not criticized. look at all the other actors in hollywood who help other nations and support different charities; they are not from foreign countries, so are they making it worse because their helping them and their not from there? don't be so closed minded it makes you shallow.
n8vladyjingler23 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-11-2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Junior Dancer

Chelseyrosebutterfly is a jewel in the rough
All I gotta say is once one of our people try or is a ahead there has to be someone to drag them down. We got to stick together and support those who are trying to do well for themselves and our people. We must not let people destroy the accomplishment of this young actor.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:07 PM   #11
menstradishadmirer

menstradishadmirer is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 979.06
ever hear "the can of worms" story?? I think it applies here its too bad though
menstradishadmirer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2007, 02:19 PM   #12
Kimimila

DaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond reputeDaCotau has a reputation beyond repute
I have never heard the "can of worms" expression. But I have heard the "barrel of crabs" expression (one tries to climb out and the rest pull him back down). Is it the same thing?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
menstradishadmirer

menstradishadmirer is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 979.06
yes DaCotau, it is the same thing...it's too bad that it happens like that
menstradishadmirer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #14
Kimimila

Unhappy

I agree
Sponsored Links