Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wildhorsespirit View Post
    The name Jenkins?

My ggrandmother is Helen and her brother is Claude as to their parents I have no idea. Both are full Cherokee and from KY.
    I have had no luck locating them anywhere and if it had not been for the obituary I found for her I would not have her SSN but I was told that her parents may not be found by that way. Is it possible???

I now have a pic of her thanks to a cousin I was shocked since I was beginning to think she and her full Osage husband didn't exist LOL

If you found an obit on her and have a SSN on her, then there is a death record for her and most likely her parents are listed right on her death cert. Social Security didn't come around until 1937 and wasn't Federal mandated until 1954. Also, you can get a copy of her Social Security application (for a fee) and that will, also, tell you who her parents were.

And Kentucky records are awesome 'cause it's an open record state and you can find just about anything you want on just about anyone. But remember that may times people couldn't spell, so some names might be mis-spelled and that's something that you might look at too.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks I was worried that it would be blank if I sent for her information.

Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
      If you found an obit on her and have a SSN on her, then there is a death record for her and most likely her parents are listed right on her death cert. Social Security didn't come around until 1937 and wasn't Federal mandated until 1954. Also, you can get a copy of her Social Security application (for a fee) and that will, also, tell you who her parents were.

And Kentucky records are awesome 'cause it's an open record state and you can find just about anything you want on just about anyone. But remember that may times people couldn't spell, so some names might be mis-spelled and that's something that you might look at too.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Wildhorsespirit View Post
        Thanks I was worried that it would be blank if I sent for her information.
        Chances are that it won't be blank because she's the one who filled it out. However, it would actually be cheaper to go through the county in KY that she died in first and get her death cert and see if it lists them there.

Comment

She was born in Rochester KY but died in either MO or KS her and my ggrandfather lived in Turner KS so I suspect she passed in KS but will have to find out from my cousin and see if he knows. Thanks TT!

Originally posted by timmy tiger View Post
          Chances are that it won't be blank because she's the one who filled it out. However, it would actually be cheaper to go through the county in KY that she died in first and get her death cert and see if it lists them there.

Comment

If you found an obituary on her, then it should say where she died (or at least where she was living at the time of her death) and many times even where she's buried. I haven't done much research in KS or MO, but a little. Not really sure how easy it will be to get those records, but shouldn't be all that difficult after the 1950's.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.