Adoption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adoption

Hello, my name is Starr and I am new here. I Joined this Community with hopes of sharing recipes and making friends, but also because I am Dine' tribe and adopted, and am searching for people who may be like me, who were not raised within their own Nations and are trying to return to their roots. I have utmost respect for everyones privacy and am not asking anyone to disclose personal family stories or anything. But I have been alone all my life and am a mother now, and thought it would be wise to begin a dialog with other Dine' women, and other women in general. I myself am a very open person, and welcome questions and conversation. Thank you for your time, and have a blessed day.

I am Lakota. I was adopted and raised by white people in south eastern Ontario. Adoption sucked and I felt like I belonged no where, not evem at home. I found the local Native community where I live and slowly got involved. I was wisely adviced that the best way to lean was to do dishes. So I went to socials and did dishes and talked with the Women in the kitchen and made friends and was invited places and helped and volunteered and became closer friends.
    The community became my community and slowly I learned. Of course I was learning from Mohawks and Algonquins and Ojibways mostly but they looked after me and took me places and introduced me to my own people. Those who were out here for work, passing through and two who married out this way. I was lucky I was givin and followed that good advice cuz I have seen many who are adopted that wanted to learn there culture over night and walk around being on some pedistal and they fall prey to the charletons and they "learn"
    From books and get caught in some new age mumbo jumbo and are lost from what they wanted...thier identity. Anyway that is in a nutshell been my journey since I left home 20 years ago. And I still say the most important thing I was told was to do dishes :)

Comment

Thank you for responding, SuzzeQ4 and sharing. My birth mother was/is full-blooded Dine', and my father Irish. I was raised by a white Jewish family in Boston and never ajusted/asimilated to my adopted family. I never looked like anyone in my whole town, and when my adoptive mother and I returned from our yearly winter vacation in Florida, people thought I went down without her because my skin was 8 shades darker than hers. Its curious you mentioned dishes in your post, because when I was a small girl, one of my earliest memories is doing dishes in the kitchen, and all my life it has been a ritual for me. For family, friends, after large gatherings. It is a part of life I am glad I learned, for it has broken the ice many times for me, as well as been a way to repay favors/show respect for those who have been there for me.

Comment

Any time G2W. My generation saw 80% taken and raised by non-Native people and the stories of our lives are often similar. I think the 60's scoop (cuz it was most prevelant from 1960 to 1980 both in canada and the us) needs to be talked of more and become something people are aware of. It needs to be delt with now before we are old.
        -Suzze

Comment

I'm adopted too!

I'm adopted and my birth mom is adopted. All we have is our adoption paper saying she's Native American (tribe unknown)
          Dreams feel real when we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteWolf89 View Post
            I'm adopted too!

I'm adopted and my birth mom is adopted. All we have is our adoption paper saying she's Native American (tribe unknown)
            That's all it says? Mine is very detailed, recounts the details of mine and my moms adoption. Now that adoption records in Ontario are open I am waiting for her name pre adoption. My real mom was adopted too but not until she was ten. I know her first name and I know her sister, my aunt (adopted my the same family) and she says they have the same first names but she was younger and doesn't remember their original last names.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
              That's all it says? Mine is very detailed, recounts the details of mine and my moms adoption. Now that adoption records in Ontario are open I am waiting for her name pre adoption. My real mom was adopted too but not until she was ten. I know her first name and I know her sister, my aunt (adopted my the same family) and she says they have the same first names but she was younger and doesn't remember their original last names.

All the paperwork my birthmom and I have is a paper saying that her parents were Indian (tribe unknown). It says her dad (my grandfather) was in construction, and her mother (my grandmother) was unemployed. It says they were both in good health and had distinct Native American features.
              Dreams feel real when we're in them. It's only when we wake up do we realize something was actually strange.

Comment

you and your mom lost alot of identity then. Your best bet is trying to get the info to find her parents...that would take lots of patience cuz it takes lots of time.

Comment

I was adopted too at the age of three along with two of my sisters. My Heriatge is Cherokee, Oglala-Lakota, Chricuahca-Apache and Comanche. And I am also Irish with some other European descent. LOL I just found out about my brith family about a couple of years ago. Growing up in the white world was very hard I felt like I was misunderstood alot. So I can relate to what SuzzeQ4 talked about in her 1st post.
                  Dance hard like there is no tomrrow. Hoka!

Being Native American isn't JUST about blood. It is a Spiritual way of life.

"Tell me and I will listen, Show me and I will understand, Take me in and I will learn." -A Lakota proverb

“We need to start standing up to people who tell us ‘no,’ that we can’t do things in the way of our culture.” -Aloysius Dreaming Bear

Comment

Also adopted. I'm half Native (Pawnee and Seminole) and Half Irish. I live in NJ where I only know of one other person who's also Native. It is extremely lonely. I would love more than anything to find my biological parents, but the adoption agency in Florida (where I was born) suddenly decided they don't do reunion searches anymore.

Comment

Suddenly glad I was adopted up here where we have a right to OUR info. You may only KNOW one other NDN, but there must be others. Search for a Native centre to start.

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.