No announcement yet.

Blood Quantum. Good or Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A (white but very tan) friend of mine gave birth in Colorado and the nurse put her baby's ethnicity down as native. They didn't ask her or her husband or anything. My friend didn't notice what had happened until months later in another state. When she called the hospital, they said there would have to be a blood test to verify his ethnicity.

I've been working on getting my grandmother tribally recognized for years, and it infuriates me that a child can be born native from white parents... What?

I think that blood quantum is important. But the information you need to apply is almost 100 years old, if you're looking on the dawes. Its all very frustrating for those of us that aren't playing dress up.

Comment

There are many of us who did not have ancestors on the Dawes because they did not travel with the removals. Instead they married or hid in the hills of SE Ohio, WV and other parts East. Our hearts are Indian but we are classified as white or black and will never be officially recognized as Indian. We know who we are whether the government does or any other group does makes no difference to most of us. I do have one ancestor on the rolls named Isaac Johnson, cherokee from upstate NY. He came to Ohio and settled among other Indians in the hills.

Comment

I mean absolutely no disrespect to the original poster....and I never dreamed I'd be saying this, but......I can understand why some get so po'd about wannabe's. Statements like the one above "....my heart is indian/red......", I can't tell you how many times I've heard it or read it from mixed or whites and it sounds funny. Fake, might be a better word. I don't know. Indians don't really talk like that, kwim? None of that is my acceptance of the way many of the mixed bloods and whites are treated on this board and that isn't me kissing up, despite what some of you might think.....its just my feelings on the subject.

Comment

Originally posted by meashcrme View Post
          A (white but very tan) friend of mine gave birth in Colorado and the nurse put her baby's ethnicity down as native. They didn't ask her or her husband or anything. My friend didn't notice what had happened until months later in another state. When she called the hospital, they said there would have to be a blood test to verify his ethnicity.

I've been working on getting my grandmother tribally recognized for years, and it infuriates me that a child can be born native from white parents... What?

I think that blood quantum is important. But the information you need to apply is almost 100 years old, if you're looking on the dawes. Its all very frustrating for those of us that aren't playing dress up.
          I have lots of family from WAY back and still today in the Huntington and Fort Smith areas of Arkansas.

I don't get the whole "the baby looks tan so it must be NDN" thing. Thats stereotyping and isn't accurate. Not all NDNs are dark skinned. First time someone from the nursing staff would have filled out, in full or part, any of my childrens birth certificate papers, there would have been a big ole stink raised by me!

Comment

As for the "heart" thing, most Indians I know have a good heart, are pleasant, repectful and accepting of others, whether white or Indian. My readings teach me that Indians were willing to share even the land with whites, that they did not believe that the land could be owned by anyone other than the creator. My grandparents were just like that in that the were very pleasant people, good hearted, respectful and accepting of others. That is the understanding I have of the Indian heart and that is what I meant.

I'm sure there are Indians who do not have this pleasantness and accepting in their heart just as there are white people who do not share this characteristic. That is what was meant and not from a "wannabe" either. I can understand your frustration with "wannabes" as I have seen and spoken to them. Some are fake, some are delusional and some are just downright a liar. I usually quickly find someone else that needs to talk with me or something that needs to be done.

Comment

this thread was intended to discuss blood quantum. everyone please stay on topic.

thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglepathfinder View Post
                As for the "heart" thing, most Indians I know have a good heart, are pleasant, repectful and accepting of others, whether white or Indian. My readings teach me that Indians were willing to share even the land with whites, that they did not believe that the land could be owned by anyone other than the creator. My grandparents were just like that in that the were very pleasant people, good hearted, respectful and accepting of others. That is the understanding I have of the Indian heart and that is what I meant.

I'm sure there are Indians who do not have this pleasantness and accepting in their heart just as there are white people who do not share this characteristic. That is what was meant and not from a "wannabe" either. I can understand your frustration with "wannabes" as I have seen and spoken to them. Some are fake, some are delusional and some are just downright a liar. I usually quickly find someone else that needs to talk with me or something that needs to be done.
                What did u do to get all those little red things?

I don't got any. :o(

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Comment

what is considered native

HI,

My first post to this forum. First of all, I'm NOT native but I have admired and studied various native cultures for as long as I can remember.

I read a post by a member who is the Chief of a Cherokee tribe in Alabama. He said it doesn't matter HOW much blood you have, but whether you're proud of your ancestors and heritage. My husband has an ancestor who was part Cherokee. The way it works out, my husband would be like 1/128th. He NEVER says he's Cherokee but that he has Cherokee ancestry. I'd like to think that, as long as he's proud of his heritage, he IS Cherokee(in his spirit and heart).

We aren't trying to cash in or claim anything based on his heritage. I just think he comes from a proud line of natives and Americans who helped build this country.

Peace

Comment

my oh my, these are endless scanarios.

Comment

Unlike you, this will be probably my last post on this site. There are too many people quick to judge those of us newer to the site who are searching for information and make the mistake that we will be accepted for who we are when we post or reply to an item on the site. And, trying to explain what you mean is futile as there is no relenting in their apparent attacks on our word choice or beliefs.

I do believe you are right in that if a person has Indian blood in his heritage and is proud of it, he is an Indian, no matter what anyone else says. I say, "live with an open heart and a clear mind and be proud of where you come from."

Most Indians I know personally are accepting of you and will guide and teach you, never humiliate you. For those I am grateful.

Comment

blood quantum

yes Shawrakee is right, oh so many scenarios. To be truthful, my husband doesn't really get into his heritage since he's a mix of other European backgrounds. Obviously he doesn't know the traditions of Cherokees or anything like that, so we know he isn't Cherokee. But I find it fascinating to know he did have a great-great-great grandma w/Cherokee blood. While we have a lot of his family history, we can't seem to find HER name. Odds are she lived in OK, since most of my husband's paternal side came from KY, OK and AR.

I don't know about other tribes across the country, but in my home state(RI) we have lots of smaller tribes, some of which are still fighting to be recognized. For example, in the RI-MA area we have Wampanoags. There are many separate tribes of Wampanoags. Some call themselves(phonentic spelling) wamp-ah-noh-agz. There's Pocassett, Seaconke, Mashpee, etc. Then others go by Wamp-ah-nogz, they're more in the Cape Cod area and Plymouth(as in Plymouth Rock). RI is home of the Narragansetts, who say they developed the word pow-wow. Although, the sad part is, some members tend to fight with natives from nearby CT, even at gatherings. It's mostly the younger men.

Comment

Originally posted by Eaglepathfinder View Post
                          Unlike you, this will be probably my last post on this site. There are too many people quick to judge those of us newer to the site who are searching for information and make the mistake that we will be accepted for who we are when we post or reply to an item on the site. And, trying to explain what you mean is futile as there is no relenting in their apparent attacks on our word choice or beliefs.

I do believe you are right in that if a person has Indian blood in his heritage and is proud of it, he is an Indian, no matter what anyone else says. I say, "live with an open heart and a clear mind and be proud of where you come from."

Most Indians I know personally are accepting of you and will guide and teach you, never humiliate you. For those I am grateful.
                          First off, I too was crucified by a select couple of members here. Don't leave, you have just as much right to be here as they do. We have an "ignore" feature on this board. Use it if you feel the need, I have before. Besides that, angry people need other to stoke their fire so don't feed the angry people!

My next point addresses your second paragraph. I completely differ in opinion on that. I don't believe at all that if a person has an indian in their family and they are proud of it, that makes them an indian. Its a way of life, a spiritual life and of customs, not the simple fact that gg grand daddy was an indian that makes a person an indian.

I'm choctaw, alittle cherokee and a tiny tiny bit way way back mohican, as it turns out. I don't announce it, use it or talk about it much. I'm also scottish and french creole with blonde hair, fair skin and olive green eyes. I live my spiritual life as it suits me and makes me whole....I don't talk about that much either because its my way. Indians don't really talk about it either, they live it.

I have both indian people that I know of and indian friends who are as you say, open and accepting. I know just as many who are not too.

Comment

I like your response MtnLiving. It doesn't mean a lot if you say you're a Sioux, Cherokee, etc. but not know the history or live the traditions.BTW, off the subject, I emailed you. I noticed you have friends/family from Ft. Smith? My husband was born and raised there.

I wish we knew more about his ancestor to find out if she was registered with the government or not. Ancestry is so interesting.

Most important, no matter who you are or where your people came from, it is soooo important to hold onto the heritage. Write it down, video it, tape record it because once our loved ones are gone, so is the heritage unless someone is willing to carry it on(i.e. stories, recipes, language, traditions).

Peace.

Comment

I am Cherokee and German but due to intermarraige, I am very fair and I get treated badly at the dances by many because of it. My family lived on the Cherokee reservation in North Carolina before it was even a reservation, I know where we started out at. Anyway, I married a Kiowa, my children are enrolled with the Kiowa tribe. What bothers me and I have told them so, is that if they, too, marry outside of their tribe, eventually their children won't be able to enroll as Kiowas---a sad thing--no where near full blood and they will be responsible for annhiliating their own tribe. No more blaming the white man. If you are Ojibway, Cherokee, Comanche, and Creek, don't call yourself a full-blood you are not which tribe will you claim? The one that gives you the most disbursments and then switch your tribal affiliation over to another one when it disbursment time for taht tribe. Marry in to your tribe, please. I know people who "tribe hop". It's not the best thing to do

Comment

Originally posted by laughingmoon View Post
                                Marry in to your tribe, please. I know people who "tribe hop". It's not the best thing to do
                                Well, if we didn't treat ourselves like members of the American Kennel Association... (sigh)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.