Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adopted and seeking my ancestry

Hi
    I'm half Chickasaw. I have been adopted at birth and was put through the DHS in the state of Oklahoma. It's been so long ago that I can't really remember how I even really got my card for membership, but now wondering how to go about getting the rest of my ancestry figured out. I have little information to go on and really have no idea who to speak to on how to find out how to start. I would also like to find a way to get to know what the other half is. I know I've been registered through my mother's bloodline for the Chickasaw. I don't know anything about the father's side though.
    If anyone can tell me who or what department I need to speak to, I'd very much appreciate it. I've looked through our official website but not sure which way to go or where to go.

Thank you

Originally posted by ndnchickasawgrl View Post
    Hi
    I'm half Chickasaw. I have been adopted at birth and was put through the DHS in the state of Oklahoma. It's been so long ago that I can't really remember how I even really got my card for membership, but now wondering how to go about getting the rest of my ancestry figured out. I have little information to go on and really have no idea who to speak to on how to find out how to start. I would also like to find a way to get to know what the other half is. I know I've been registered through my mother's bloodline for the Chickasaw. I don't know anything about the father's side though.
    If anyone can tell me who or what department I need to speak to, I'd very much appreciate it. I've looked through our official website but not sure which way to go or where to go.

Thank you
    We have some resources here to help you.

- Am I Native American? How to Find My Indian Ancestors.

- Genealogy Articles
    New to the site--Introduce Yourself

Find a Pow Wow Near You!

Comment

Since you're enrolled in the tribe contact the enrollment office. Ours here keeps copies of birth certificates that they will copy for you if you need it.

The enrollment office from my grandpa's tribe in Montana provides a whole family tree, which was INVALUABLE!!
      ...it is what it is...

Comment

Interesting thing about Oklahoma
        Since you were registered through your Mother you can contact your Tribe for a copy of your Long form CDIB not the card,
        This will give you your Paternal and Maternal information back to the Dawes Enrollee.
        That is if the Father was listed on the Birth Certificate... If he was it will be on the Long form if that information is missing it means that he did not consent for it to be there.

This is a real issue here in Oklahoma with Natives the DHS seals those records on adoptition...
        I have two great-nieces one is registered the other is not same Parents but because he refused to sign consent he was never put on the Birth Record and then she was adopted out...
        We lost touch with her till recently and we are trying to get it fixed
        But because she was adopted the records are sealed!
        ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
        Till I Die!

Comment

Originally posted by Josiah View Post
          Interesting thing about Oklahoma
          Since you were registered through your Mother you can contact your Tribe for a copy of your Long form CDIB not the card,
          This will give you your Paternal and Maternal information back to the Dawes Enrollee.
          That is if the Father was listed on the Birth Certificate... If he was it will be on the Long form if that information is missing it means that he did not consent for it to be there.

This is a real issue here in Oklahoma with Natives the DHS seals those records on adoptition...
          I have two great-nieces one is registered the other is not same Parents but because he refused to sign consent he was never put on the Birth Record and then she was adopted out...
          We lost touch with her till recently and we are trying to get it fixed
          But because she was adopted the records are sealed!
          ok here's where I get stuck. I have searched the official website but see no where to how to contact the enrollment offices. I only get enroll for classes or to enroll for their prescription plans. I even searched out adoption and it brings up adoption and foster care for those interested in adopting or foster children. Is there another name this department goes under? And yes it's very interesting on the DHS situation. As a matter of fact, when it came to find it, I gave them my name and date of birth and nothing else, and heard nothing up till the enveloped arrived with my card and some information about the tribe itself. Do I just pick someone and hopefully they can tell me who to contact?

Comment

Originally posted by ndnchickasawgrl View Post
            ok here's where I get stuck. I have searched the official website but see no where to how to contact the enrollment offices. I only get enroll for classes or to enroll for their prescription plans. I even searched out adoption and it brings up adoption and foster care for those interested in adopting or foster children. Is there another name this department goes under? And yes it's very interesting on the DHS situation. As a matter of fact, when it came to find it, I gave them my name and date of birth and nothing else, and heard nothing up till the enveloped arrived with my card and some information about the tribe itself. Do I just pick someone and hopefully they can tell me who to contact?
            The Chickasaw Nation website is filled with the latest information regarding programs and services, events, facilities, history, culture and more.

Phone:(580) 436-7250
            Fax: (580) 436-7226
            Government Services Building
            2015 Lonnie Abbott Industrial Blvd., Ada, OK 74820
            Send mail to: P.O. Box 1548, Ada, OK 74821
            Email: CDIB[MENTION=60326]chickasaw[/MENTION].net
            ᎠᏂᎩᏚᏩᎩ - Anigiduwagi
            Till I Die!

Comment

Yakoke (thank you) That helps quite a bit. Very much appreciated. :)

Comment

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.